• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tonights (14/8) 1830 Eus to GLC Pendolino running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harz99

Does anyone know why this service was losing time throughout its journey?

Seemed to have slower acceleration than normal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Perhaps no TASS and had to run an 110mph and got caught in some congestion, or high passenger numbers, pure speculation though.

harz99

Nothing to do with other services, overcrowding and/or disruption anywhere else, simply was losing time and later at each stop. On time ex EUS, 5 late at WBQ, 7 at Wigan, 9 at PRE and so on to 15 at CAR and 16 at LOC where I got off.

Apart from an apology from the TMs no info as to why, nor did either come through he train to ask.

Still doesn't say whether other services in front were getting in the way. If the train is running on yellows or even double yellows the driver will be driving defensively and not giving it the full beans.

notadriver

Established Member
Maybe some traction packages were defective ? I've had this happen and told the guard but not sure they understood.

harz99

Still doesn't say whether other services in front were getting in the way. If the train is running on yellows or even double yellows the driver will be driving defensively and not giving it the full beans.

Nope, nothing in front past PRE for at least 20 minutes, so not that.

The Planner

Veteran Member
No real explanations in TRUST as it wasn't losing 3 minutes within a section.

The only explained delays were 1 min between Warrington and Wigan due to a TSR, 1 min between Wigan and Euxton due to a TSR, 1 min between Preston and Lancaster becuase of condition of track, 3 mins unexplained TOC caused delay between Preston and Lancaster, 1 min between Penrith and Carlisle due to a TSR and 3 mins between Newton and Rutherglen due to following 2F29.

harz99

No real explanations in TRUST as it wasn't losing 3 minutes within a section.

The only explained delays were 1 min between Warrington and Wigan due to a TSR, 1 min between Wigan and Euxton due to a TSR, 1 min between Preston and Lancaster becuase of condition of track, 3 mins unexplained TOC caused delay between Preston and Lancaster, 1 min between Penrith and Carlisle due to a TSR and 3 mins between Newton and Rutherglen due to following 2F29.

Thanks for that. So of the 16 minutes lost by the time I left only 4 x 1 min delays are attributed/explained. Oh well I guess I'll never know the rest!

High Dyke

Established Member
Apart from 3 minutes loss between Preston and Lancaster due to adhesion, 3 minutes approaching Glasgow following a late running service and 4 minutes for planned engineering slack a further 24 minutes are shown as unexplained delay - mainly 1 and 2 minute segments.

WCML

The Virgin timetable for stations north of Euston for northbound trains in the evening peak isnt worth the paper its written on.

Most days, the services I use are always losing time for unexplained reasons, mainly random slow running.

However, they really need to sort out their contract with Alstom. For 10 year old trains, the tilt systems frequently don't work, and power issues are common. I was on a service on Monday which crawled from Nuneaton to Rugby and sat there for about 20 minutes whilst the 'onboard computer was restarted' as there were power issues. A train I was on last week was running at reduced speed, half the lights and the plugs weren't working either. Goodness knows how late it was by the time it got to Glasgow.

pablo

Nothing to do with other services, overcrowding and/or disruption anywhere else, simply was losing time and later at each stop. On time ex EUS, 5 late at WBQ, 7 at Wigan, 9 at PRE and so on to 15 at CAR and 16 at LOC where I got off.

Apart from an apology from the TMs no info as to why, nor did either come through he train to ask.

Nothing unusual about that. 50:50 it will happen on my weekly trip Eus-CRW and beyond.

notadriver

Established Member
This is a bit off topic - but do passengers actually want a late running train attempting to get the time back especially in this health and safety era...

Geezertronic

Established Member
This is a bit off topic - but do passengers actually want a late running train attempting to get the time back especially in this health and safety era...

H&S wouldn't have anything to do with it as long as the train is travelling in accordance with the track speed limit, the train speed limit, and weather conditions

notadriver

Established Member
I agree with you but with train drivers under the spotlight because of recent events, it seems to be that making up time implies the driver is speeding. There are two events in recent memory - the one on a Pendolino train where the guard told passengers to sit on the floor because the train was making up time and a someone else online complained about a speeding HST from Bristol attempting to make up time and how 'dangerous' it was etc.

So why should a train driver try to and make up time ? In fact he/she might drive even more cautiously and lose even more time as seems to be the case here.

rebmcr

Established Member
the one on a Pendolino train where the guard told passengers to sit on the floor because the train was making up time

That's an incredibly poor choice made by the train manager. Hopefully they were having a very off day and are usually much smarter!

Tomnick

Established Member
So why should a train driver try to and make up time ? In fact he/she might drive even more cautiously and lose even more time as seems to be the case here.
I don't see any problem with a driver trying to recover a bit of time by perhaps braking slightly later and harder, running at linespeed when the schedule would normally not require this, and of course making use of any recovery time in the schedule. I can understand why they'd not bother though, particularly on the first point above - I'm sure they get no thanks for pulling a few minutes back (from passengers or management), so it's not worth the possible increased risk of misjudging something...

dk1

Veteran Member
I always do my best to make up time. Out the window goes Eco-driving (as it does most of the time) & I couldn't care less if somebody thinks I'm speeding as the proof is in the OTMR. I just try to arrive as close to my scheduled time as is possible.

WCML

Are some drivers just slow? For example, you're permitted to do 70mph on the motorway yet many drivers sit in the middle lane at 60mph when conditions are good and the road is clear.

Is it feasible that some drivers may drive at 105/110mph on the 125mph sections on the WCML for no good reason just like middle lane sitters do?

Eagle

Established Member
I'd guess that if they were consistently doing it the train driver would be sent in for a little chat...

(Is it coincidence that you mention middle-lane hoggers on the same day that the police gained powers to fine them? ;))

The Planner

Veteran Member
The way sectional running times are rounded to ½ minutes and if any engineering allowance is in the section can allow that to a small extent, but not over long distances. What should happen is that the train passes the next point early if the allowance isn't required and the train is driven at linespeed.

notadriver

Established Member
I'd guess that if they were consistently doing it the train driver would be sent in for a little chat...

(Is it coincidence that you mention middle-lane hoggers on the same day that the police gained powers to fine them? ;))

It's an interesting idea but unless the same driver loses time on every single train he/she drives (unlikely) then they would have to explain delays which of course cost money.

I'm unsure about WCML but I'm told on the Great Western trains don't need to exceed 100 mph to keep time and my TOC encourages defensive Eco driving so reaching the line speed and maintaining it is unlikely if a train is running on time. Making up time is frowned upon as it means you have changed your driving because of lateness. This might only apply to new drivers though....

Status
Not open for further replies.