• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Towns not cities with 3 or more stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SussexMan

Hastings - 4

If you live in St Leonards you don't live in Hastings. Hastings has two stations.

Check the address of Warrior Square Station. No mention of Hastings.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/slq/details.html

The OP said Town - not within a Borough Council area. If West St Leonards and Warrior Square are in Hastings, then presumably St Leonards (a postal town) has no stations as a station can't be in two towns at once.

34D

Established Member
Don't think anyone has mentioned Enfield. Town Chase and Lock all take the eponymous name, Chase, Town and (arguably) Bush Hill Park are an easy walk to the town centre, then a few other stations (Palmers Green, Crews Hill, etc) that are in the borough.

gavinjustice

Cumbernauld has 3 stations.
Cumbernauld, Greenfaulds and Croy.
People wanted another one built at Abronhill, just north of Cumbernauld station

Altrincham

Does the following count for Altrincham?

Altrincham
Navigation Road
Timperley
Hale

marks87

Established Member
Does Uphall count as a third station in Livingston (in addition to North and South)?

12CSVT

Established Member
Barry Island
Barry
Barry Docks

If stations on a preserved line count then add Plymouth Road, Waterfront and Woodhams Halt.

dvboy

Established Member
The car park is in Walsall, but the station itself is over the municipal boundary in Sandwell. It can only be (legally) accessed from Walsall however.

How many does Sandwell have?

Bescot Stadium
Cradley Heath
Dudley Port
Langley Green
Old Hill
Rowley Regis
Sandwell and Dudley
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Smethwick Rolfe Street
Tame Bridge Parkway
The Hawthorns
Tipton

12 stations

LE Greys

Established Member
Weymouth:

Upwey, Town and Quay (temporarily closed :P)

If that's legit, then Folkstone Central, West and the also "temporarily" closed Harbour

Notice how many of these are ports? Which reminds me of Harwich Town, Dovercourt and Parkeston Quay. Southampton Central, St Denys and Ocean Terminal might also count, although the latter is not used much.

PaulLothian

Does Uphall count as a third station in Livingston (in addition to North and South)?

Very definitely not, if you ask the locals; one of several communities outside Livingston still trying to keep their own identity. However Uphall Station is heavily used by commuters from northeast Livingston.

class303

Not sure about nine!

Greenock (7) - Cartsdyke, Greenock Central, Greenock West, Fort Matilda, Whinhill, Drumfrochar, Branchton

there's 9 stations in Greenock. you are forgetting IBM & Bogston of course. Due to the long, thin, Y shape of Greenock and it's 2 lines (gourock & wemyss bay) they are probably justified as well. most stations are a good 10-15 mins walk from another.

Liam

Established Member
Very definitely not, if you ask the locals; one of several communities outside Livingston still trying to keep their own identity. However Uphall Station is heavily used by commuters from northeast Livingston.

But, Uphall Railway Station isn't in Uphall village (which is probably now a part of Broxburn), but in the village of Uphall Station, which is much, much closer to Livingston, with Houston Industrial Estate just over some peoples back fence. Livingston is probably the opposite of the OP's question. It has 3 stations, but none of them are in easy reach of the town centre.

PaulLothian

But, Uphall Railway Station isn't in Uphall village (which is probably now a part of Broxburn), but in the village of Uphall Station, which is much, much closer to Livingston, with Houston Industrial Estate just over some peoples back fence. Livingston is probably the opposite of the OP's question. It has 3 stations, but none of them are in easy reach of the town centre.
I don't think I said it was in Uphall (and never try calling Uphall a village in front of the locals!). Uphall Station and Pumpherston still have a distinct identity outside Livingston, and the railway station is not in Livingston, just near it.

I think if we reworked the OP's question to include only stations in easy reach of the town centre, most of this thread would be redundant!

NSE

Established Member
Whyteleafe is a very small town, possibly village, I dunno, its all swallowed up by Croydon/Caterham, but it has Whyteleafe, Whyteleafe South and Upper Warlingham.

Crossover

Established Member
As far as I can make out, Cleckhuddersfax is one big town :P

Now that would be an awesome name! Wouldn't put it past my fellow Yorkshire folk to come up with something crazy like that!

Could Lymington Pier/Town and Brockenhurst be counted? I know I was reading the Wiki article of the branch line last night (as I'm planning to go on it in a few months) and it says something about them being in the same area

Eagle

Established Member
Now that would be an awesome name! Wouldn't put it past my fellow Yorkshire folk to come up with something crazy like that!
This is an actual word that my friend from Baildon, Bradford, uses.

Could Lymington Pier/Town and Brockenhurst be counted? I know I was reading the Wiki article of the branch line last night (as I'm planning to go on it in a few months) and it says something about them being in the same area

Here is a map of the several miles of heathland that separates Brockenhurst and Lymington :P

Green Lane

The previous posts have been an interesting read. :D As far as I can tell, Birkenhead has 8 stations that I think are definitely in the town (although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):-

Hamilton Square
Conway Park
Birkenhead Park
Birkenhead North
Bidston
Birkenhead Central
Green Lane
Rock Ferry

Also, Upton is as close as you can get to a town without technically being in it. It's right up against the boundary. It really serves the Noctorum and Beechwood (aka Ford) areas of Birkenhead. I haven't checked, but the sign for "Upton" which marks the border with Birkenhead is pretty much outside the station, so it's no more that a few yards over the boundary if that.

Despite all of the above though, I'm still no closer than almost a mile from my nearest station, as the lines run really around the edges of the town and I live nearer the geographic centre, where there is no railway line.

So, for many short journeys, the bus (or walking) still remains more convenient!

Seacook

Isn't most of London a town? I have not counted the stations but I can confidently state that there are at least three.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Isn't most of London a town? I have not counted the stations but I can confidently state that there are at least three.

The City of London has only a handful. More than three but not even in double figures ;):D

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
How many does Sandwell have?

Bescot Stadium
Cradley Heath
Dudley Port
Langley Green
Old Hill
Rowley Regis
Sandwell and Dudley
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Smethwick Rolfe Street
Tame Bridge Parkway
The Hawthorns
Tipton

12 stations

Sandwell isnt really a place though. It is a circle drawn on a map surrounding a collection of places in the Birmingham metropolitan area that only really exists for electoral reasons, and I would wager most people who live within its borders are older than the borough of Sandwell. It's certainly not a single settlement.

Opening it up to boroughs really isnt in the spirit of the question in my opinion. Solihull has already been mentioned but it is a perfect example, there are loads of stations (12?) in the borough, Olton, Solihull, Widney Manor, Dorridge, Shirley, Whitlocks End & Earlswood on the Snow Hill lines and Marston Green, Birmingham International, Hampton in Arden & Berkswell on the West Coast. Only Solihull is actually in the town of Solihull though, most of the rest of them are more connected to Birmingham geographically, some of the ones which serve villages like Berkswell have more to do with Coventry.

Waldgrun

Havant Hampshire has 4 stations in its area, Bedhampton to the west, Havant, and then Warblington and finally Emsworth, although a small town in its own right, part of the borough!

trickyvegas

Huddersfield, Slaithwaite, Marsden, Lockwood, Berry Brow, Honley all in same town pretty much!!!!!

Having walked from Marsden to Huddersfield via Slaithwaite (about 10 miles), I would certainly not consider them to be part of Huddersfield.

Rational Plan

Slough has Slough, Langley and Burnham. You could add Taplow as it is part of the built up area but is in a separate borough.

Bracknell has Bracknell and Martins Heron

Reading has Reading, Reading West, Tilehurst, Earley and Winersh Triangle.

LE Greys

Established Member

Here is a map of the several miles of heathland that separates Brockenhurst and Lymington :P

Lymington would count if Ampress Halt was still open, but Brockenhurst... I used to walk there when I was at Bournemouth College, miles of heathland full of Ponies and Nightjars.

Status
Not open for further replies.