• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Advance Ticket Changes

800Travel

Hi,

I hold an advance ticket purchased from TPE for a TPE journey later this week. I now need to travel earlier on that day, but there is no advance ticket availability on my desired service.

TPE has a policy whereby if you re-book with an advance ticket, you can get a refund on the original. However, this policy fails to offer alternatives when there are no advance options for the desired service. They have stated that the train is fully booked.

The options they have outlined are:
1) Switch to another service earlier on that day, pay the extra, refund the original ticket
2) Switch to another service on another date, pay the extra, refund the original ticket, purchase the other ticket type for that day

Option 1 doesn't work as I have a commitment in the origin town which ends just before the earlier service leaves (so couldn't get to the station in time) and have a commitment in the destination town which starts before the train after my desired service arrives.

Option 2 is the only one that really works, however they have said that I would not be able to change/rebook the ticket again. I.e. say I rebooked for 17th March, and then on 16th March found out I didn't need to be in on 17th March I couldn't then move it to a later date. This is something that I don't feel is made clear on the website.

Just after some assistance really on how I can get this sorted please? I've explored every avenue I know how to, but many of you forumites are much more clued up than me so I would appreciate your insight.

Thank you

*Mods ~ This is not a journey-planning thread, it is regarding TPEs Advance Ticket Changes Policy*

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Can the OP not excess to the appropriate single at a ticket office, albeit with the onus that there'll be bound to TPE-only trains due to the original ticket being an advanced ticket?

800Travel

Can the OP not excess to the appropriate single at a ticket office, albeit with the onus that there'll be bound to TPE-only trains due to the original ticket being an advanced ticket?
This sounds like a fantastic solution - thank you.

To make sure I've understood, would that just entail going to the ticket office and paying the difference? I.e. if the e-ticket I hold is £1, and the ticket I need is £10 I give them £9?

My attention has also been drawn to the National Rail Advance Ticket Ts and Cs Section 7.4 which states:

The difference between the price paid and cost of the next suitable fare for your journey is payable

Personally, I'd deem 'next suitable fare' to include an offpeak/anytime ticket if there are no advances left on that service

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can excess the Advance ticket to the appropriate 'walk on' fare available by paying the difference in fares plus a £10 admin fee. You can only travel with the train operator shown on the original Advance ticket.

This excess can be obtained at a station ticket office but do note that sometimes obtaining excess tickets at a ticket office can be a bit of a lottery.

800Travel

Thanks all for your help.

The TOC now agrees with me that the ‘next suitable fare’ isn’t an advance and as such will allow a refund of the advance when I purchase the alternative ticket.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The TOC now agrees with me that the ‘next suitable fare’ isn’t an advance and as such will allow a refund of the advance when I purchase the alternative ticket.
Are they charging you any admin fee, in addition to the difference in the fares?

800Travel

Are they charging you any admin fee, in addition to the difference in the fares?
No - TPE don't charge for rescheduled journeys fortunately. They've said it should go through fine, but I've had to submit it via a webform which another team deals with so problems may still arise.

No - TPE don't charge for rescheduled journeys fortunately. They've said it should go through fine, but I've had to submit it via a webform which another team deals with so problems may still arise.
I should mention, it comes with caveats but all relevant info can be found here https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/help/change-my-ticket

The specific parts relevant to this case were:

Book with confidence. Make changes fee free​

Advance fares can be changed to a different time and date only. We ask that if you do need to make this change that it’s done prior to 18:00 the day before you’re booked to travel.
Tickets bought on our website or app

To change an eTicket, you will need to purchase a new ticket and submit a refund claim for the original. This new ticket will need to be for the same route and have the same origin and destination stations. It will also need to be purchased before the departure date and time of the original booking.

Please select ‘Change of Journey – new journey booked’ as the reason when submitting your refund claim and also provide your new Booking Reference number.