• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 185s to be refreshed

Killingworth

Established Member
Taken from their Stakeholder letter today and 34 page attachment; Our Plan for the Future – A Prospectus

Class 185 trains refresh: this will include replacement of external vinyl bodyside wraps, replacement of seat covers and carpets, and a comprehensive interior deep clean.

The Class 185 units will also undergo an acetic flush (Mar-24) to remove waste residue from the inside of pipes and tanks in the foul water part of the toilet system to increase reliability and effectiveness of flushing, reduce pipe bursts and increase effective tank capacity.

Replacing seat covers with more durable and easier to clean fabrics: all our trains have ‘flat cloth’ seat covers with the exception of First Class in Class 185/397. Our experience has been of severe vulnerability to unsightly staining which, once formed, requires dry
cleaning or machine washing to remove and where such washing limits the life of the cover. We are now implementing fleet-wide replacement with conventional heavy duty moquette seat covers (Sep-23 to Oct-24), noting that Northern have completed a similar replacement programme on their fleets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Glad they've got plans for those seats, the fabric stains something terrible.

387star

On Moderation
They should never have used flat cloth in the first place. The industry often makes silly mistakes like this

TheLunaPark

Unpopular opinion, I've always preferred the previous TpE livery with the 'fibre optic' waves. Never been a fan of the current one. I know it's quite a popular one but not to my taste.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Unpopular opinion, I've always preferred the previous TpE livery with the 'fibre optic' waves. Never been a fan of the current one. I know it's quite a popular one but not to my taste.
Never a fan of the liveries based on FirstGroup's corporate pallette. In particular their insistence on putting their logo on every possible surface was extremely garish. The current look of the 185s removed all that self-congratulatory nonsense thankfully. The 175s, 180s and 360s suffered from the FirstGroup "purple pox" for far longer.

Glad to hear we'll finally be getting proper moquette back, and not a moment too soon!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Appreciate that it may not wear or wash well but for my money I'm much prefer flat cloth seats

The troublesome toilets on these and indeed all other Siemens units operating in the UK are quite frankly it is Grace and I wonder how much impact this work will have on them? I'm aware that there was some major replumbing done when the units were heavily refurbished at York

Ben Anslow

I agree with the livery side definitely

8A Rail

Established Member
I think the present livery is awful too but that is partly down to using the grey / silver base colour which is never a good look on any train to be honest - also lack of imagination by the designers too. We can hope but don't have much faith it will change too much as it costs money to do so.

johnnychips

Established Member
185s are excellent, comfortable trains and also seem generally not to break down very often. Their ability to depart and arrive reliably, hopefully in pairs, on the South TPE route means a lot more to me than their livery and the odd coffee stain on the seat.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Philistine! That said, I didn't like it when I first saw it - I even questioned the contrast on the doors. That was on the 185s though, it seems to suit the 397s and 802s better (which might have been what it was designed for).

Ben Anslow

185s are excellent, comfortable trains and also seem generally not to break down very often. Their ability to depart and arrive reliably, hopefully in pairs, on the South TPE route means a lot more to me than their livery and the odd coffee stain on the seat.
We really miss them on Furness line

Philistine! That said, I didn't like it when I first saw it - I even questioned the contrast on the doors. That was on the 185s though, it seems to suit the 397s and 802s better (which might have been what it was designed for).
That livery was definitely designed with that sort of mind set

Geeves

Established Member
I can't see the 185s being swapped to running on diesel electric but who knows with the various current Frankenstein trains we have running round. In my opinion they are the best trains TPE operate so glad to see they are getting looked after.

Wolfie

Established Member
Appreciate that it may not wear or wash well but for my money I'm much prefer flat cloth seats

The troublesome toilets on these and indeed all other Siemens units operating in the UK are quite frankly it is Grace and I wonder how much impact this work will have on them? I'm aware that there was some major replumbing done when the units were heavily refurbished at York
The 350s have never seemed particularly problematic on the toilet front.

AJDesiro

The 350s have never seemed particularly problematic on the toilet front.
As a regular user of 350s, this is simply incorrect. The retention tanks are just too small. There’s always at least one loo per unit OOU, often two, or even three on a /4. The amount of times I’ve heard about extended dwells for a toilet stop at Rugby and Crewe is simply astounding.

Wolfie

Established Member
As a regular user of 350s, this is simply incorrect. The retention tanks are just too small. There’s always at least one loo per unit OOU, often two, or even three on a /4. The amount of times I’ve heard about extended dwells for a toilet stop at Rugby and Crewe is simply astounding.
Now that, based on my own observations as a fellow regular user, is perhaps a reasonable comment. The question is whether it is the tank size or LNER/WMR's operating practices that are to blame. I haven't heard of SWR having similar issues for example. Does anyone know how the tank size compare to contemporary Bombardier equivalents?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Any re-energing program would need to retain their ability to accelerate efficiently and slog up some challenging gradients at a decent pace with a big load of fat passengers and their suitcases, we don't need to create another monster like the 170 that performs worse than a 70 plus year old kettle on a heritage railway when you confront it with a hill

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Unlike the former flat cloth on Northern's units, of which to me the replacement with moquette was very welcome, I think the flat cloth on 185s is comparatively rather soft. I find them very comfortable, especially the soft leather head piece. I hope the moquette doesn't make the seats feel firmer, and I hope they don't ditch the smart leather headpiece either.

TEW

Established Member
Now that, based on my own observations as a fellow regular user, is perhaps a reasonable comment. The question is whether it is the tank size or LNER/WMR's operating practices that are to blame. I haven't heard of SWR having similar issues for example. Does anyone know how the tank size compare to contemporary Bombardier equivalents?
The toilets on SWR Desiros are also pretty unreliable.

Tracked

Established Member
Agreed, but glad you didn't mention their ability to arrive/depart on time :D

Nice unit, good ride, glad the seat covers are being changed as part of this, although the ability to see some of the more questionable stains might be a useful thing :|

Plasmanoodle

It’s a shame the wheelchair area couldn’t be rethought, although I appreciate this is just a refresh. During my one experience, I felt so segregated from the rest of the train and its passengers.

YorksLad12

Established Member
It’s a shame the wheelchair area couldn’t be rethought, although I appreciate this is just a refresh. During my one experience, I felt so segregated from the rest of the train and its passengers.
It's an odd space. On the plus side it's less likley to be overrun with luggage and you're close to the accessible toilet. The downside, as you say, is that you can sometimes be the only person there, segregated even from First Class. And there's no First Class wheelchair space. Moving the partition so that the wheelchair space is in First won't work, as the vestibule doors are quite narrow from memory so there would be problems navigating around them, and you'd lose most of the Standard space in the vestibule end - I've availed myself of that oftentimes.

Unless, somehow, you could move and replace/design the partition, put the luggage rack across from a new wheelchair space, slide the double/table seats down into the former luggage space to create more wheelchair turning space... but that's more than a simple refresh, and there might be good (structural) reasons why the luggage rack is where it is (I think Standard passengers use it).

Plasmanoodle

It's an odd space. On the plus side it's less likley to be overrun with luggage and you're close to the accessible toilet. The downside, as you say, is that you can sometimes be the only person there, segregated even from First Class. And there's no First Class wheelchair space. Moving the partition so that the wheelchair space is in First won't work, as the vestibule doors are quite narrow from memory so there would be problems navigating around them, and you'd lose most of the Standard space in the vestibule end - I've availed myself of that oftentimes.

Unless, somehow, you could move and replace/design the partition, put the luggage rack across from a new wheelchair space, slide the double/table seats down into the former luggage space to create more wheelchair turning space... but that's more than a simple refresh, and there might be good (structural) reasons why the luggage rack is where it is (I think Standard passengers use it).
I’m not sure if there are other toilets on the unit, as I’m not overly familiar with the 185s. If there aren’t, then it’s convenient for first class to be near the accessible toilet.
If there are other toilets, then perhaps it would have been better to have the wheelchair area and first class at opposite ends of the train.
Maybe someone with more familiarity than me could comment with more knowledge.
As you say, though, this is just a refresh!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I’m not sure if there are other toilets on the unit, as I’m not overly familiar with the 185s. If there aren’t, then it’s convenient for first class to be near the accessible toilet.
If there are other toilets, then perhaps it would have been better to have the wheelchair area and first class at opposite ends of the train.
Maybe someone with more familiarity than me could comment with more knowledge.
As you say, though, this is just a refresh!
There's a small toilet at the end of the centre vehicle furthest from the composite coach. That's obviously no help to those who need the accessible facilities.
Having the universal toilet right at the end of the unit behind a cab is certainly unconventional, but there's always going to be a degree of compromise with a 3-car unit that has a reasonably sized first class area. There may have been better ways of designing it but the units are now nearly 20 years old, so any major changes are probably off the table.