• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For goodness' sake put a yellow stripe on it! All those 1s clutter it up.

Unusual to see an EVN unpunctuated - wouldn't that more normally be 94-70-0471003-6?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Andy b1

Established Member

Unusual to see an EVN unpunctuated - wouldn't that more normally be 94-70-0471003-6?

Lol, agree, it looks cheap.

Unusual to see EVN on UK traction!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's worth noting that the 397 procurement is the only TPE one which has enhancement options built into the franchise agreement (ie more/longer trains).
It remains to be seen if DfT will ask TPE to acquire more units.
Given that the franchise agreement was anticipating TP electrification during its term, it may not be invoked.

I think lengthening is likely to be needed, probably 2 coaches extra per unit. Possibly also a few more to allow the Liverpool service to go at least two-hourly.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don't expect logic in the TOPS numbering system...

Originally Cl370+ were "express" units (i.e. Cl370 APT, Cl373 Eurostar...) then we somehow ended up with Electrostars in the 375-9 range (presumably based on the numbering of the unbuilt networkers allocated 371?) and Desiros on 380 (why Desiros were allocated 3/4x0 instead of a more logical scheme such as 3/450-4 I don't know, presumably Siemens paid well for "marketing-friendly" numbering...). At this point, it would make much more sense for any new express EMU to be in the 8xx range.
I don’t think the manufacturer has much at all to do with “marketing-friendly” numbering, the original ordering TOC through the stock’s owning ROSCO most likely request the class number.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
The initial lettering “(EVN:” is completely redundant, but if going to that extreme doesn’t there need to be a second closing bracket?
Should be a second closing bracket as you say! or maybe that middle one is just an unhappy face. :(

I take it that the number will be removed at some point.

59CosG95

Established Member
Should be a second closing bracket as you say! or maybe that middle one is just an unhappy face. :(

There was some legislation recently that all new stock has to display an EVN of some description, at some point in each vehicle (can't remember if it's inside or outside though). It could be the case that the EVN will be displayed internally only.

On Moderation

It certainly should be split up by spaces or dashes or whatever. It is also non-compliant as it doesn't have the VKM with it. The number above it is superfluous as well, they should just highlight the relevant section of the EVN as the likes of DB do. So something like:
94 70 0471003-6 GB-TPE or
94 70 0471003-6 GB-TPE or whatever.

AndrewE

Established Member
Presumably it's because some illiterate or innumerate numbskull is trying to prove that "Europe" is forcing ridiculous things on us... Except that the UIC is nothing to do with EU. Isn't the yellow stripe a UIC thing that was abandoned unilaterally by most of the UK franchises at "privatisation?"

themiller

I don’t think the manufacturer has much at all to do with “marketing-friendly” numbering, the original ordering TOC through the stock’s owning ROSCO most likely request the class number.
I have to apologise for this thread going off topic but, in Rail 868, the CEO of Rail Operations (UK) Limited Karl Watts is reported as saying that he’s registered “up to 93050”.

TRAX

Established Member

I’d like to think it is just temporary while the units are roaming around European trackage. I can’t see this non-standard format on the units forever.

modernrail

I saw one of these units at Crewe yesterday. They look great! The windows looked to start quite low down from my quick glance. Interested to see how that feels when you are inside the unit. Good hopefully!

Erniescooper

I could be wrong but I thought the S stood for Signal as the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing being carried out in the SPZ was to see if the train will interfere with signalling.

driver9000

Established Member
I could be wrong but I thought the S stood for Signal as the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing being carried out in the SPZ was to see if the train will interfere with signalling.

I suppose it's one of those "either/or" depending on who you're talking to. I've always been told the S is special as the tests are done in a possession.

SansHache

What is SPZ?
SPZ = Signalling Protected Zone.
The test train is the only train allowed to operate in the test zone; other trains are blocked from entering the zone by restrictive signalling aspects.
If the testing involves electromagnetic compatibility tests then the SPZ will normally be defined to cover the area supplied from a specific feeder station.
In the past Class 350s, Class 390s and Class 323s have all been tested in an SPZ between Macclesfield and Stoke with the limits set at the neutral sections at Prestbury and Stone. This allows the test area to be supplied from the feeder at Kidsgrove with no other electrical loads on the system.
An SPZ differs from a standard Possession in that the trains are allowed to operate at line speed within the SPZ.

Mathew S

Established Member
SPZ = Signalling Protected Zone.
The test train is the only train allowed to operate in the test zone; other trains are blocked from entering the zone by restrictive signalling aspects.
If the testing involves electromagnetic compatibility tests then the SPZ will normally be defined to cover the area supplied from a specific feeder station.
In the past Class 350s, Class 390s and Class 323s have all been tested in an SPZ between Macclesfield and Stoke with the limits set at the neutral sections at Prestbury and Stone. This allows the test area to be supplied from the feeder at Kidsgrove with no other electrical loads on the system.
An SPZ differs from a standard Possession in that the trains are allowed to operate at line speed within the SPZ.
Thanks. So - in very simple terms - it's a case of testing to ensure the train doesn't break anything before it's allowed to run on the 'live' railway?

Yep. at 3:00 dead it's clear the entire rear car has been vandalised (and then it looks like some of the graffiti sprayed over with a beige spray as well).
From the comments on that video it seems the Velim circuit has suffered a spate of graffiti attacks recently, including some of the Greater Anglia 755's.

SP Man

Yes it's a signal protection zone, no possession. If it was a possession then it would be restricted in speed, etc.

Sleeperwaking

Thanks. So - in very simple terms - it's a case of testing to ensure the train doesn't break anything before it's allowed to run on the 'live' railway?

Well, the train may still break something, but operating in a SPZ makes it very unlikely that the "something" will include other trains. It can still bring down the wires or interfere with the signalling, but the test train will be the only train affected, and I suppose it would be easier for NR to spring into action and fix any issues (particularly if they're already on site keeping an eye on the testing).

It's actually done because EMC testing in a SPZ means you don't get EM emissions from other trains mixed up in your data, so you can check exactly how your train interacts with the power supply etc. If everything looks good, then you can move on to in-traffic testing! Passing the EMC tests doesn't guarantee that the train won't cause any EMC issues because it's impossible to test every possible scenario, but it gives a good indication of EMC performance.

Mathew S

Established Member
Well, the train may still break something, but operating in a SPZ makes it very unlikely that the "something" will include other trains. It can still bring down the wires or interfere with the signalling, but the test train will be the only train affected, and I suppose it would be easier for NR to spring into action and fix any issues (particularly if they're already on site keeping an eye on the testing).

It's actually done because EMC testing in a SPZ means you don't get EM emissions from other trains mixed up in your data, so you can check exactly how your train interacts with the power supply etc. If everything looks good, then you can move on to in-traffic testing! Passing the EMC tests doesn't guarantee that the train won't cause any EMC issues because it's impossible to test every possible scenario, but it gives a good indication of EMC performance.
Interesting. Thank you :)

SP Man

The class 397 should be out tonight/early hours of tomorrow morning doing the SPZ testing between Stoke and Macclesfield.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The class 397 should be out tonight/early hours of tomorrow morning doing the SPZ testing between Stoke and Macclesfield.
Thanks for the heads up, the inbound and outbound workings between Crewe and Stoke can be found here:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R02630/2019/01/15/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R02629/2019/01/16/advanced

It's fascinating to see all this shiny new TPE stock operating on test in the vicinity of Macc, though there's no way you'll catch me out at my local station waiting for it in the cold early hours of this morning!

SP Man

At Stoke waiting for the SPZ

Attachments

• 20190116_003139.jpg
    20190116_003139.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 200
  • 20190116_003850.jpg
    20190116_003850.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 194

SP Man

She's alive.

Attachments