• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Staffordian

Pretty empty at 05:55, a fair few on at LIV, MCV a big pick up point, pretty full from Huddersfield
Will have been much busier than normal as it was 19L from MCV due to the signalling/freight(?) delay near Newton-le-Willows and the following 1P15 Airport-Newcastle being cancelled. As a result there was an approx. 34 minute gap between e/b TPEs at MCV, Huddersfield and Leeds. The additional capacity will have been very timely!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I dont get why needs to be mostly tables .Bays of 4.

Because that is what most people prefer, especially on longer journeys. People who like to hide from the world in an airline seat and pile their belongings on the seat next to them to keep all strangers at bay should consider whether public transport is right for them.

TH172341

Driving trailer carriage has plenty of airline style seats for those that prefer them. Table seats are great for families and if you need to get work done. But of course need those airline seats for those who prefer some privacy. Think the IETs and Mk5s balance this well. Having been lucky enough to been on a Mk5 before today can say the layout is excellent and knowing the hard work that has gone on to get these into service great to see it out on service.

Mathew S

Established Member
So, just seen the Mk5a rake, with Splendid, in service at Man Vic. Photos attached. Didn't get chance to look inside, sadly, but didn't appear busy.
Main observation is my God the 68s are loud; what a horrific racket.

Attachments

• 20190824_143639.jpg
    20190824_143639.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20190824_143534.jpg
    20190824_143534.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 131

Mathew S

Established Member
Annoying underfloor engine noises nobody likes them. But a V12 throbbing away is a totally different ball game.
I beg to differ. The volume of that 68 at Man Vic just now was completely ridiculous. I'm half tempted to get a loudness meter from somewhere and grab a decibel level when next I see one, because I can't imagine it's a 'safe' noise level.

nedchester

Established Member
I beg to differ. The volume of that 68 at Man Vic just now was completely ridiculous. I'm half tempted to get a loudness meter from somewhere and grab a decibel level when next I see one, because I can't imagine it's a 'safe' noise level.

Sounds hellfire!

Have you never heard a Deltic?!

Polarbear

Established Member
Annoying underfloor engine noises nobody likes them. But a V12 throbbing away is a totally different ball game.

Oh yes!

I was on this from Lime St to Victoria this afternoon. Commendably fast turn around at Line Street given the late inward bound working.

On board-I chose to sit at the front & found the Mk5a to be reasonable. Air con worked, and my seat lined up with a window, though the seating pitch isn’t ideal as some seats just have a panel to stare at.

Ride was a little lively, but overall, I was quite impressed. Will book a longer run on one when there are a few more in service.

I heard it leaving Victoria from outside the station!

Polarbear

Established Member
Sounds hellfire!

Deltic would be louder, but a 68 in full cry isn’t too far behind it!

For those not appreciating loud noises, I’ll mention my experience at Reading in 1977 with a HST leaving with original valenta in full cry, at the same time as Concorde took off from Heathrow. That WAS loud!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
On it now and very impressed! It's going very slowly between Huddersfield and Leeds though! Bad picture of the front end :lol:

Attachments

• 20190824_150655.jpg
    20190824_150655.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 122

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Indeed. I believe there have been numerous fatalities in the 5 years since 68s entered service.

Breathless trainspotters are going into overdrive today. 68s are loud , there’s a loco on the front/back… Both hugely important points when considering the provision of public transport.

Sir_Sheep

So, just seen the Mk5a rake, with Splendid, in service at Man Vic. Photos attached. Didn't get chance to look inside, sadly, but didn't appear busy.
Main observation is my God the 68s are loud; what a horrific racket.

Must have walked past you! On said service. Rather enjoying myself :D

Ianigsy

1744 ex Scarborough now showing as terminating at Victoria due to driver shortage (which is also affecting 185s).

Happened to be passing through Leeds at the same time as this was going through to Liverpool at around 1210 - quite an interesting spell as 66771 Amanda followed it into Leeds and 91114 Durham Cathedral was in a nice spot for a photo too.

Mathew S

Established Member
Must have walked past you! On said service. Rather enjoying myself :D
You may well have done!
I was down the loco end waiting while Northern decided what to do with the Pacer on platform 5 that some moron had lobbed a stone at on the way to Manchester, smashing the driver's window. (Fortunately the driver was fine.)

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
1744 ex Scarborough now showing as terminating at Victoria due to driver shortage (which is also affecting 185s).

Happened to be passing through Leeds at the same time as this was going through to Liverpool at around 1210 - quite an interesting spell as 66771 Amanda followed it into Leeds and 91114 Durham Cathedral was in a nice spot for a photo too.

Not enough fuel according to industry information.

PennineSuperb

1F76, Man Vic - Lime Street - CANCELLED
1J53, Lime Street - Stalybridge - CANCELLED
Due to a lack of 'Motion Lotion'

FFFC 57

Obviously you never enjoyed Man Vic in the good old days when 40's would go full throttle up Miles Platting bank.
Noise and a mouth full of exhaust.

geoffk

Established Member
5000 litres not enough to do a full diagram then. Bring back the long range 47's.
Not enough fuel? Surely not. I was considering a run from Victoria to Stalybridge this evening, so better not bother.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Sounds hellfire!

Obviously you never enjoyed Man Vic in the good old days when 40's would go full throttle up Miles Platting bank.

Completely agree with you both:)

I sometimes wonder if even on a railway forum it’s actually allowed to be an enthusiast;)

I think today is rather special, certainly for me and I suspect many others it’s the first time in many years to witness the introduction of brand new diesel loco hauled stock. The last I can think of would be in 1979 with the 47/7s and push/pull Mk3 sets.

Anyhow, here’s 1E39 crossing the Ouse:)
CB5B3033-A930-4E99-922F-16E3BD903158.jpeg

Mathew S

Established Member
Enjoyed?
Each to their own, but that would be my idea of purgatory.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.