• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Can those 68s still work other trains? Also, do they have full Mk5 controls in both cabs, or just one?

In theory yes although unlikely given the high availability required to TPE once the mk5A sets are in traffic although 68019 has been hauling freight recently as part of a return to traffic test after it failed in Velim. Both cabs have been fitted with the necessary equipment to work with the coaches.

SP Man

Can you use both cabs as equipment in both. Normally planned for cab 2 against the stock and cab 1 leading.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Why would it matter what end of the class 68 is next to the MK5As if both cabs are fully equipped?

Why would it matter what end of the class 68 is next to the MK5As if both cabs are fully equipped?

Because there is a switch that needs to be changed everytime whether the loco is leading or trailing which is located in the No.1 cab end - if the No.1 is next to the coaches then it will add time to the changing ends process (securing cabs etc..). It can and will probably happen at times but the general consensus is to keep it to a bare minimum.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Because there is a switch that needs to be changed everytime whether the loco is leading or trailing which is located in the No.1 cab end - if the No.1 is next to the coaches then it will add time to the changing ends process (securing cabs etc..). It can and will probably happen at times but the general consensus is to keep it to a bare minimum.

Right OK i understand.
So is this switch for basically isolating/connecting the Driving trailer and it's equipment via the Class 68s Multiple working system? So there is not two driving desks live at the same time.

ic31420

Right OK i understand.
So is this switch for basically isolating/connecting the Driving trailer and it's equipment via the Class 68s Multiple working system? So there is not two driving desks live at the same time.

Surely the desk key would do that?

My money is on some braking type switch .

fowler9

Established Member
I saw a pair of Trans Pennine 68's head out of Liverpool through Wst Allerton at about 22:05 this evening. Anyone know which ones they were? Seen and heard loads of light engine movements the last few weeks.

dilbertphil

Number 1 cab has been requested to be the leading cab for 2 reasons. Firstly as the Mode switch to say if the loco is driving or trailing is far easier to access from number 1 and so will help with turnaround. Secondly it's for driver comfort as the number one end is far quieter especially when the ETS is switched on for the coaches.

pt_mad

Established Member
Heard it mentioned that 68027 was parked up at Gresty Bridge at the weekend in TPE livery however unable to confirm.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Number 1 cab has been requested to be the leading cab for 2 reasons. Firstly as the Mode switch to say if the loco is driving or trailing is far easier to access from number 1 and so will help with turnaround. Secondly it's for driver comfort as the number one end is far quieter especially when the ETS is switched on for the coaches.

That all makes sense, thanks.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I was only asking as the previous deliveries have included them, 4 or 6 of them on the rear coupled to the DT
More accurately described as brake force runners rather than barrier coaches, though I recognise that the latter is commonly used as a catch all term for the vehicles, I'm not here to split hairs over the matter. It's surprising if it's suddenly been decided that the deliveries by rail don't require them.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
It's surprising if it's suddenly been decided that the deliveries by rail don't require them.

Not really, if during testing of the other sets and all the numbers add up, for brake force etc, then runners not required,
and as there out testing quite often now just with a class 68, vehicles must be ok to run.
They'll still be checked on arrival at the port and brake tested and running brake tests.

notlob.divad

Established Member
It's surprising if it's suddenly been decided that the deliveries by rail don't require them.
Why is it surprising? The mk5a have begun mainline testing on UK rails. Therefore the authorities must have determined that their braking systems meet the requirements of the UK network and so they can run without the need for the barrier/brake force vehicles.

mikemcniven

Status
Not open for further replies.