• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE ticket policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynn80

Established Member
I'm sure that is a valid byelaw... it comes down to 'reasonable' though.

Is is really reasonable to ask someone's name and address when they have genuinely attempted to pay?

They cannot make you provide such details, and if you refuse, BTP will probably turn up- but that, in my opinion, is more likely to help you... BTP are more experienced with such matters than a guard.

Well yes you are right no one can make you give your name and address in the same way no one can make you confess a murder if you do not want to, the fact of the matter is the guard suspected that either Max had cash on him and was delibrately avoiding payment or Max did not attempt to use his card in the machine at Billingham and that is a valid reason for asking for your name and address. I of course would agree it was handled pretty heavy handedly but how does the guard know that Max isn't just boarding all his train's claiming that fact. The only reasonable course of action would to of issued an Unpaid Fares Notice (which you need to give your name and address to recieve) and then Max could either pay that off in cash or with his Visa card where it is accepted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

charley_17/7

For those unaware.......

There are 'issues' with reliability of Advantix and the Dione chip&pin equipment, with certain card types issued by certain bank prone to being declined refused.

In these instances you should be offered alternative means of payment (like cash/cheque). If you only have plastic, the conductor should contact retail control or issue a Unpaid Fares Notice. If arriving at staffed stations with a retail or revenue protection facility, and if time is available, I walk with the passenger to advise of the situation and resolve the issue.

If you are treated differently, then I would raise the matter with Customer Relations or another member of railway staff. We can only learn and improve from our mistakes.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If arriving at staffed stations with a retail or revenue protection facility, and if time is available, I walk with the passenger to advise of the situation and resolve the issue.

That's what really upset me, that I offered to pay my fare at Thornaby, as I was changing there to get to Darlington anyway, but was threatened with the BTP! A card is a valid payment method, and the fact that the system is unreliable should mean that the guards are sympathetic in such situations, instead of passengers like faredodgers. I did try to explain that I'd travelled by taxi straight from the Holiday Inn Express, where there was no cash machine facility, and had spent my cash on the taxi fare (which was a little more than expected if I recall correctly). I would have paid an unpaid fares notice, but it was the fact that the guard accused me of deliberately trying to avoid paying that made me refuse to give any details. I'm not a criminal, and I'm not going to be treat like one.

I have since switched bank accounts to a different provider to try and avoid the potential embaressment of this happening again. Your card being declined is embaressing enough anywhere, especially when you know there's nothing wrong with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.