• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Traditional (not bored tube) tunnels on the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
This is probably going to sound like a pointless question, but are there any traditional tunnels on the London Underground network?

Hear me out...

I realise that the underground sections of the network are in tunnels, but I mean more in a 'traditional' sense, so sections of the network that are actually overground, but are really in tunnels (I guess kind of like the opposite of Stratford Central line station which - or so I've heard - is technically underground but quite obviously isn't!).

I suppose it depends on what the difference between a short tunnel and a long bridge is...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is a tunnel on the Bakerloo immediately to the north of Kensal Green station, although this is Network Rail infrastructure.

The tunnel between Chigwell and Grange Hill is double-track and probably more like what you are thinking of as it was originally not part of (what we would now call) the Underground network.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say about Stratford Central line.

starrymarkb

Established Member
There is a short tunnel just North of Leytonstone on the Epping branch, one of the rare full size tunnels used only by tube trains. It was extended a few years ago when the cutting approaching it was roofed over for the A12 Link road to cross the line

A-driver

Established Member
If it's been dug or bored out then it's a tunnel; if it's been built then it's a bridge.

On NR infrastructure its down to what the sectional appendix lists it as. There are numerous examples of tunnels which have been built above the line and bridges which have been dug or bored out.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There is a fairly long tunnel between Southfields and East Putney on the Wimbledon Branch of the District Line.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If it's been dug or bored out then it's a tunnel; if it's been built then it's a bridge.

Pretty sure that LU count all the cut and cover and the Victoria Embankment as "tunnel"- strictly, by your definition, that would all be "bridge".

Nym

Established Member
Not strictly what you're after, but parts of the JLE (Jubilee Line Extention) don't use traditional tunnel rings that you may be associating with 'bored' tunnels, that in fact, not very much of the LUL network is, as the deep level lines were sheild dug in the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.