• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

train crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJC_158

hi all,

i hope i have posted this in the right section.

There is something i have been wondering about and just wondered if any of you maybe knew the reason why.
last saturday i was on the 09:35 FGW service from cardiff central- portsmouth harbour. when the guard came round to check the tickets, i noticed that it was a guard from arriva trains wales. as this is a FGW service i thought it a little odd.

could it be that there was a shortage of train crew and that they had to use some that werent booked on a service with arriva.

it was also the same as this when i returned from soton central- trowbridge as well on the service going back to cardiff central from portsmouth harbour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think some of the Arriva traincrew have diagrams on the Wessex services but I'm not sure.

T

Tom

Arriva still crew quite a few (old) Wales & Wessex (alphaline) services.

O L Leigh

Established Member
It would appear that arrangements exist where crews from one company staff another company's services.

There was a similar agreement between 'one' and WAGN to permit drivers from each company to drive the other company's trains between Cambridge and Kings Lynn. There were sound diagrammatic reasons for doing this and it only affected a handful of trains at the very beginning and very end of each day, but the arrangement seems to be doomed since FCC took over the GN services.

one TN

TheSlash

Established Member
Sometimes crews work other TOC's services to retain route knowledge incase of emergency or planned diversion

compsci

There was an agreement between One and WAGN that One would handle some (or maybe all) ECS moves between the sidings and station in Cambridge.

FCC have chosen to end this agreement as One were charging too much as they saw it. One are not happy, and did something that they thought would really hurt FCC. I best not say any more in a public forum.

afterburner

Trying to nick all FCC's customers? :razz:

I keep getting brochures in the mail from 'One' advertising their services to London. Unfortunately for them, I'm not likely to use them as the Cambridge-King's Cross line runs right through here and is well served by FCC. I would have to go well out of my way to make use of any of 'One's services :-?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Probably sprouts back to the wales and borders and wessex days.... they always did switch back and forth on each others trains. I had an ATW guard on a wessex service to taunton or somewhere some time ago.

TheSlash

Established Member
Also, are you sure he actually worked for the company :?: Down this way because the company name changed so often, they never had all they're staff wearing the same uniform :tongue9:

Nat the Ned

Arriva Trains Wales are still contracted to provide over 600 crew hours to FGW per week. Mainly between Cardiff/Bristol/Pompey. This arrangement will end in April when the contract expires and FGW will use their own crew (as they'll have plenty from the cuts to all their services in December).

Also of note is the Saturdays Only SWT class 159 from Waterloo to Penzance (returns Sunday) will continue beyond December, this is crewed by FGW west of Exeter...

n

paul1609

Established Member
Arriva Trains Wales are still contracted to provide over 600 crew hours to FGW per week. Mainly between Cardiff/Bristol/Pompey. This arrangement will end in April when the contract expires and FGW will use their own crew (as they'll have plenty from the cuts to all their services in December).

Also of note is the Saturdays Only SWT class 159 from Waterloo to Penzance (returns Sunday) will continue beyond December, this is crewed by FGW west of Exeter...

n
Hmm You could be forgiven for believing that FGW had pulled out of Portsmouth by now! trains are either short formed or turned back at Southampton or Fareham because of late running. what rolling stock does make it the whole way is filthy and falling to bits. First should be on a last warning to either improve or forfeit the franchise by now.

WhiteVanMan

Southern used to supply some drivers to Thames Trains on the Reading - Gatport Airwick run.......

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And Transpennine Express still crew some Northern services, for example, some Hull-Beverley/Bridlington/Scarborough trains and some Cleethorpes-Barton services.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I remember last year going from Bristol TM to Weston-super-Mare, - a CT liveried 158 showed up, announced as a Wessex Trains service, and the guard was in ARRIVA uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.