• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Dispatchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItchyRsole

Does anyone know the train dispatchers salaries for different TOCS please?

I've heard it's pretty varied.

I know Eurostar TD's are on £34,000 including their early turn payments, but it's very hard to get in there.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
At LM we get about £20k basic plus area weighting (around £2k in the London area). Then there are lots of premiums for different unsocial hours and weekend working on top.

ItchyRsole

Really varied amounts. Wonder why the salaries are so far apart for the same jobs? Thanks a lot.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Really varied amounts. Wonder why the salaries are so far apart for the same jobs? Thanks a lot.

Depends if they've been restructured or not, and if Sundays are part of the working week.

Broadly speaking, there won't be a lot in it between restructured and unrestructured staff once you've added in the enhancements (Irregular and Unsocial Hours Premium, rest days, Sundays, overtime and the like), though restructured staff will have higher pensionable pay as most of the "enhancements" will be incorporated into the basic pay.

craigybagel

Established Member
On 28k @ Virgin

Virgin varies dramatically depending on where you are. When I was with them Euston were on 28k and Lancaster and oxenholme at the other end were on 21k. You also get extra pay based on a points system: by being a qualified announcer I got an extra two points which was worth a few hundred pounds a year - you could also be qualified on other things like retail or shunting depending on what station you are at.

Its also worth noting that duties vary between stations. At mine dispatchers also did all the cleaning including the toilets - our nearest neighbours had external cleaners so their pay was slightly less. We were also responsible for things like security checks and passenger assistance which network rail is normally responsible for at their stations.

Also Sundays are outside the working week - if you do them its time and a quarter.

Last edited:

Sbarfoot

At Euston for Virgin our basic I around 28k but has Sundays on top of that. As said though the other end of the line are on around 21k and the jobs between stations vary a fair bit. A strange one is our retail staff are on more money than the dispatchers which is the only safety critical role in the station. Odd pay structure haha

Status
Not open for further replies.