• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

train dispatching, from America and beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

postercommon

Hello all, from across the Atlantic... First post, hopefully not the last!
I currently work for CSX, one of the largest freight railroads in the U.S., as a Train Dispatcher. My father, in an unrelated industry, is transferring to the U.K. in the next 6 months or so, and I'd love for the opportunity to go with him. However, the more I dig, the more I find that there's little, if any information on rail jobs available on the internet on your side of the pond...
My question to you is, does the position of Train Dispatcher carry to U.K. railroads in a similar capacity?
Where would one go about searching, and for which rail providers?
Where would the job be located? A centralized location, or field offices?
Thanks for any info!
Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to the forums :smile:

Depends what you mean by a train dispatcher, as I get the feeling that there may be a difference between the terms used in the two countries and by the sounds of what you have put I think they are different jobs, but anyway:

The role does exist here and all dispatchers work on passenger stations. The dispatcher often uses a whistle to "hurry up" passengers and warn them that the doors are about to close and will signal to the guard (or driver on DOO trains) to close the doors. In many cases the dispatcher will also deal with mobility assistance (wheelchair ramps, helping visually impaired customers, carrying suitcases for the elderly).

There are many different job titles which the various companies refer to them as but the most common are probably: Service Delivery Assistant, Customer Service Assistant, Platform Assistant and Station Assistant.

This video might help you understand what a Train Dispatcher does in the UK:

[youtube]tj--Y_svMWM[/youtube]

Like I say, I don't think that's what you mean. Could you describe the job or maybe someone else might know?

Yank 119

From another Yank, hello postercommon, and welcome.

The term we are looking for is signaller. In the US, dispatchers do the same job, overseeing train movements over a particular piece of railway. Where are you based, postercommon? I'm currently in college near Savannah, GA, and I'm wondering if you're still in Jacksonville or you've relocated as a result of the de-centralization of dispatching on CSX. I've thought many times about becoming a dispatcher, how are you liking it?

Try the Network Rail website for job opportunities in the UK.

Old Timer

Established Member
postercommon
The role that you currently do does not exist in the same sense in the UK. The duties are split between a variety of different posts, usually located in different locations.

Network Rail control the Infrastructure, e.g. track, signalling and electric traction power supplies. Trains are operated by a Train Operating Company - TOC (Passenger) or a Freight Operating Company - FOC (Freight).

TOCs operate their services under a franchise arrangement with the Government and lease-in the Rolling stock.

Freight rolling stock is either owned by the FOC, leased by them or owned/leased by the freight customer. Network Rail now lease/own some freight vehicles and trains associated with the maintenance of the railway. Locomotives are eitrher owned or leased. FOCs exist as long as there is a freight market that they can serve and there is a continuing movement of traffic flows between the various FOCs as they re-price traffic when the tenders are re-issued by the customer.

Firstly control of the signalling of trains is undertaken by a Signaller (this is Network Rail-speak for the proper title of Signalman) who operates the signals and is responsible for the operational safety of trains and operations within his individual area. He also has certain but occasionally limited authority over train Regulation, mostly logistical.

Strategic control is exercised by the Control Office, who hold the final say in pretty much everything EXCEPT the application of the signalling rules. This remains with the Signaller.

Strategy over the trains with respect to locomotives and changes to their running times, loads etc rest with the Company who operates the train. They are also responsible for arranging for any locomotive changes, loading weights and lengths and manning.

All trains have to be timetabled in one manner or another as they attract charges from Network Rail when they run. Network Rail accepts the train path from each operator either by means of the agreed timetable, or through a short term planning system, which the train operators use to work out a train path and then they "buy" this train path from Network Rail.

Delays are chargeable to the organisation who creates them, so there is a constant stream of claims and counter-claims betweem Network Rail and the TOCs/FOCs.

Ultimately all these delays are put in a pot and used to cancel one another off, until eventually only the balance above is charged/paid.

For example if there are two train operators and Operator A causes 120 mins delay to Operator Bs trains, whilst Operator B causes 100 mins of delys to Operators A trains, then the excess, which is 20 minutes is paid to Operator A by Operator B. Of course both Operators will in turn have to pay Network Rail so much of this money is actually just "virtual" money.

Unlike the US, track maintenance is planned within track blockages outside the normal timetable. Whilst work may be carried out US-style between trains, any delays are reimbursable to any affected TOC/FOC.

The whole system is as mad as it sounds and has created a blame and claim culture where innovation and free-thinking is stifled. You certainly will not see things here running anything like the US. It will be like working in a strait-jacket.

Similar to the US will be the overseeing eye of Big Brother where everything is watched over and any incident or mistake is discovered and in many cases penalised far away and beyond its actual significance.

The sorts of comments and stories in Yard Limits appear here but are more guarded, such is the paranoia that now infects many people within the Industry.

Aictos

Established Member
Can't say I've ever heard that one before! Is that your job?

Blame WAGN/FCC, it's actually the job title of one of my colleagues even though we do the same job!

I'm a Station Assistant, :D

postercommon

From another Yank, hello postercommon, and welcome.

The term we are looking for is signaller. In the US, dispatchers do the same job, overseeing train movements over a particular piece of railway. Where are you based, postercommon? I'm currently in college near Savannah, GA, and I'm wondering if you're still in Jacksonville or you've relocated as a result of the de-centralization of dispatching on CSX. I've thought many times about becoming a dispatcher, how are you liking it?

Try the Network Rail website for job opportunities in the UK.

Decentralization is in full swing - I'm in Huntington, WV at the moment, and loving every minute of it. From what I heard from the old heads, Jacksonville was a miserable place to work, being so close to management at the main office. Dispatching is an outstanding job, and coming like I did, from Train Crew ranks, it's a breath of fresh air finally being trusted to make a decision or two.

It looks like some people got to it before me, describing the job duties... it's a shame to hear my skills won't carry over, but that's alright, I could use a few less responsibilities :D

does anybody know what I could expect transferring between countries? Know anyone who has done it? Heck, is it even possible?

Old Timer

Established Member
You would have to apply for a vacancy and then start at the bottom grade in the most junior post.

From what I am told, have seen and have heard, prior Railway experience or an interest in the job appears to be a serious hurdle in getting through the initial selection stage.

They tend to prefer the inexperienced who can be moulded in the way that is now the preferred way of working.

Don't let me put you off but be well aware that Railway experience may well count against rather than be in your favour.

Don't suppose you know Jennifer in the NS despatching centre at Harrisburg ?

Status
Not open for further replies.