• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Seat Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

physics34

Established Member
Absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say and as unbelievable as it sounds, it almost seems seats reached their peak somewhere in the 90s or mid 2000s and we're now going backwards in time. I mean seriously, ironing board seats with little legroom on the class 700 can perhaps be somewhat justified, given that a lot of people's journeys may just be short enough to endure them (poor souls that have to travel Brighton-Bedford), but the seats used in the IET rollout are truly disgraceful. These are supposed to be intercity trains! I'm just glad I never travel first class on GWR, because value for money there seems to be even worse. Give me back HST seats (and ride-comfort)!

The uncomfortable suspension on the new trains just adds insult to injury. Lucky that I don't ever need to use the GWML for everyday commuting. I've seriously considered using alternative routes where possible at this stage (i.e. SWR to Exeter, Chiltern to Oxford etc.), where previously I would have definitely travelled with GWR.

I find it outrageous that despite the many bitter complaints and negative feedback, both by the rail-press and regular customers, this is still how services on the GWML will probably be run for the next 30+ years, with quite possibly no adjustments ever being made to either ride-comfort or seats. Disgraceful.

The new seats in the Greater Anglia Stadler & Aventra units (I believe two different types are used) and the original Desiro seats (Grammer E3000) prove that comfortable seats can be used on intercity/commuter trains even with today's fire and safety regulations and without taking up that much space. There's no excuse for any seats that are less comfortable than that, especially not on so-called intercity services.

LNER promised more comfortable seats for their Azuma trains, but they barely look any better than the ones used on the class 800/802. The design appears quite similar, so I assume it's the same seat type? Having not yet travelled on a class 801, can anyone here confirm that there even IS a difference? Again, such a shame: brand new trains, even built by a respectable manufacturer, yet they actually make service worse. All the while, fares continue to rise...

Also, though the ironing board seats seemed to have been used on various newer units (despite the complaints), from the looks of things there do appear to be some differences in comfort (or padding) depending on the train/TOC. I can't remember which unit I was travelling on a short while back (might have been on a Great Northern Ex-Thameslink 387 or possibly a Southern 377/6 or /7, but the seats appeared slightly more comfortable than those on the class 700. Am I imagining things or are there genuine differences across units?

For instance, I REALLY hope that the SWR class 701 "Arterio" seats won't be quite as uncomfortable as the ones used on the GWR class 387 or class 700 trains. I'm simply not willing to trade SWT Grammer E3000 seats for concrete seats and pay more for it. It's as if the DfT or TOCs have an utter contempt for passengers...

One other thing I've found to be a shame is that no new Desiro commuter/long-distance trains appear to have been ordered for quite a while now. Those trains really are some of the most solidly built units of the 2000s: quiet, great ride comfort and comfortable seats at that. We've seen a lot of "Desiro City" trains introduced in the last few years, but I'd love TOCs to order more "normal" Desiros in the future. What's the likelihood of that happening, I wonder?
This subject has been done to death...... but it should be so someone listens. One if the things about the class 700 screams of incompetence. I asked dft why the seats were so close together and close to the interior wall and the answer from the DfT was so that aisle space is bigger..... but if you sit two abreast, with the trunking taking up half of the footspace and the close distance from the seat in front, unless you are 5 foot 5, you have to swing out your legs into the aisle, thus filling up that apparently 'extra aisle space'.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
This subject has been done to death...... but it should be so someone listens. One if the things about the class 700 screams of incompetence. I asked dft why the seats were so close together and close to ipthe interior wall and the answer from the DfT was so that aisle space is bigger..... but if you sit two abreast, with the trucking taking up half of the footspace and the close distance from the seat in front, unless you are 5 foot 5, you have to swing out your legs into the aisle, thus filling up that apparently 'extra aisle space'.
And especially in winter with thick coats on, even an averagely sized person in the window seat will intrude into the aisle seat, meaning that person will sprawl into the aisle

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This subject has been done to death...... but it should be so someone listens. One if the things about the class 700 screams of incompetence. I asked dft why the seats were so close together and close to ipthe interior wall and the answer from the DfT was so that aisle space is bigger..... but if you sit two abreast, with the trucking taking up half of the footspace and the close distance from the seat in front, unless you are 5 foot 5, you have to swing out your legs into the aisle, thus filling up that apparently 'extra aisle space'.

One thing quite notable about the Class 700 is that I've observed (and been on) Class 195s with a crush-load, and they seem to manage a very good level of accessibility and fast passenger turnover despite having a comfortable seating layout. It seems that the standbacks and wide doors make more of a difference than the aisle being about 8" (4 armrest widths, as they are otherwise the same seat frames) wider. So are the narrow seats perhaps an error?

Thread to discuss further: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...they-be-done-better-perhaps-at-refurb.213668/

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
And especially in winter with thick coats on, even an averagely sized person in the window seat will intrude into the aisle seat, meaning that person will sprawl into the aisle
Yep also very noticeable. And lets face it, the nation is getting bigger. Astounded that when the first unit came out that management didnt see the issues

Ayman Ilham

I don't think this is what you're saying- but this reads as you just want to sit in the first class section on any 700 operated service with a standard class ticket! :lol:

The situation with fire safety etc is kind of proven false by the presence of better seats on the GA FLIRTs. I don't believe for one second that the ironing boards are anything other than cost saving!
The DfT and Thameslink need to realise this will only cost them more in the long run as more people will become fed up of trains having uncomfortable seats and defect to their cars, thus loss of revenue! That way they'll listen and refurbish the 700s to be more like the 755 or at least the 195/331; it's no good having all these new direct services like Cambridge to Brighton or Peterborough to Horsham when the trains running them are totally unsuitable for that!

py_megapixel

Established Member
In what is almost certainly a vain attempt to bring this thread back on-topic, can anyone identify these seats, used in Abellio Mitteldeutschland's Coradias?

By the standards of modern seats, I find them to be very comfortable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A variant of the Grammer R3000 perhaps? The supports look very distinctive.

Does anyone make better seats than Grammer? (Had to get the advertising in!)

py_megapixel

Established Member

Possibly.
There's an Abellio press release (Abellio are good at those!) which shows the seat backs and they actually look a lot like the backs of the old FGW HST seats, which we know were Grammer - of course the engraved f logo is not present, but you can see where it would go:

On closer examination, is it my imagination or does that slot where the f logo would be actually have a Grammer logo in it? If so, mystery solved...

supervc-10

They look like the ones in @Bletchleyite's photo but with bigger headrests- I'd imagine these are like the FGW HST seats as compared to the Arriva 158 seats. Same basic seat, just with a different headrest.

Rhydgaled

Established Member

Does anyone make better seats? Possibly BREL - what I think are the original class 158 seats are really nice. But the Grammer IC3000 (I think?) installed on the ATW 158s at refurb is I think the best seat that meets modern safety regs. First Group had a very similar seat on the FirstGW IC125s, so why they couldn't have specified them on the Nova fleets for TPE I don't know (with the class 802 for GWR wanting to keep the interiors the same as the DfT specified 800s might have been a factor; still doesn't make it right though).

DustyBin

Established Member
Does anyone make better seats? Possibly BREL - what I think are the original class 158 seats are really nice. But the Grammer IC3000 (I think?) installed on the ATW 158s at refurb is I think the best seat that meets modern safety regs. First Group had a very similar seat on the FirstGW IC125s, so why they couldn't have specified them on the Nova fleets for TPE I don't know (with the class 802 for GWR wanting to keep the interiors the same as the DfT specified 800s might have been a factor; still doesn't make it right though).

The Recaro seats in our cars are really nice but that’s probably even more OT! Actually, have Recaro ever made train seats? I expect not but you never know....

supervc-10

Recaro make seats for airliners too. Often 'slimline' seats that have similarities with ironing boards!

DustyBin

Established Member
They definitely make road coach seats, don't think I've seen the brand on a train but I could be wrong.

Recaro make seats for airliners too. Often 'slimline' seats that have similarities with ironing boards!

Thanks both, I wasn’t aware of that. Other than in cars I’ve only ever seen Recaro seats in manager’s dugouts in football stadiums!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Actually, have Recaro ever made train seats?
They as previously mentioned make seats for coaches and aircraft, as well as for boats and office chairs, but strangely, not train seats. Considering their expertise in the commercial vehicle & aviation fields, it surprises me they've never dabbled in train seating.

Mikey C

Established Member
Who designed the seats back in the old days of the integrated British Rail, as even when BREL was privatised, there was a clear design used by various trains even if made by different manufacturers, e.g. the 165s, 465s and 323s all seem to have the same design

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Who designed the seats back in the old days of the integrated British Rail, as even when BREL was privatised, there was a clear design used by various trains even if made by different manufacturers, e.g. the 165s, 465s and 323s all seem to have the same design

I think those were all Ashbourne, weren't they?

Doomotron

Does anybody know what type of seats are used in the Class 334, 458 and formerly 460?

Doomotron

Compin Phoenix, by a French company which has now merged with Fainsa.
They made the Electrostar seats as well, which I guess would explain why the Class 424 concept had 460/458/334 seats and the production Electrostars had the other design.

superalbs

Established Member
They made the Electrostar seats as well, which I guess would explain why the Class 424 concept had 460/458/334 seats and the production Electrostars had the other design.
That's the Compin Sirius design, and yes as you say, same company.

The 460 seats in First Class were the Compin Atlas design, which I believe is the same as on most of the older TGVs and CS Mk2s.

Of course, with Compin being a French company, you can see their seats on many French products, for example the TGV HC on Ouigo services uses the Electrostar seat, and the narrow-gauge units on Corsica using the Juniper seat.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What are/were those seats like, compared to other seats? I haven't been on a 458 in years...
They’re rather nice; I always thought they were nicer than the Grammars in 450s, although these days I’d rather have the 450 as the 458s are rather grubby especially due to the lack of proper carpet

Doomotron

Actually, very comfortable!
More or less so than the Electrostar seats and/or Grammer E3000s? The Electrostar seats had very high armrests which are not very nice, but the ones used in the 375/8 (which aren't as sprung) are very supportive otherwise. The E3000s are my perfect seat.

I doubt that Compin/Fainsa make the Juniper seat anymore, but there are rumours that the 458s will use the discarded 442 seats. Personally I want them to use E3000s - although I want every train to use E3000s :D - but they might end up redoing the existing seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.