• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Servicing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
For routine services it will be once the unit reaches (or is in reach of) a certain milage... a bit like a car.

david271994

Cheers any idea what the milage is and also does glasgow shields road have a wheel lathe.

rail-britain

Established Member
Trains aren't serviced by mileage but by hours in service
One days use can typically be between 3 and 12 hours

EMUs should be serviced at about 60 hours, the same as DMUs
This is a basic check (lights, washers, multi, glass)

There is then a more thorough service at about 300 to 350 hours
This includes inspecting the wheels, brakes, suspension, drives

A major service is at about 2500 hours
This involves replacing parts, for DMU this would include replacing oil, filters, and so on
For EMU this would involve checking the traction motors

jon0844

Veteran Member
What about 180s? Do they need daily engine fire extinguishing?

rail-britain

Established Member
What about 180s? Do they need daily engine fire extinguishing?
Sounds like they are suffering Eastfieldieitus which many locos suffered from in the late 1980s and early 1990s, once reallocated to Eastfield
It was only a matter of time before diesel would pour out the "open" fuel tanks and flames licked up the side

CarterUSM

Established Member
There are also many stages of exam for a unit, going from basic A, up to E(does this stage still exist, i may be wrong, but i remember this to be a works exam or a full re-fit) If we have any rolling stock technician members, they, or indeed someone else with the know how could expand further, and with more conviction than i.

rail-britain

Established Member
I've put the three main intervals above; A, B, and C
These are carried out at Traction Depots on a regular basis

The heavier exams, which normally involve stripping the rolling stock back to the shell, are carried out at Works

However there has been a greater shift away from mileage and hours to train condition
This results in many trains no longer having the daily checks and can be away from maintenance for up to 90 days
As a consequence of this, many of the previous heavy exams have been disbanded
Equally, the heaviest exam for a EMU now appears to be the C6X which is simply a system check and refit

Unlike locos which simply run through letters A to G
Multiple Units run through both letters and numbers, the number shows the sequence (ie 1 first, 2 second, 3 third)
Examples,
Class 318 : A exam - 4500 miles
Class 153 : A exam - 5250 miles or 3 weeks maximum
Class 153 : B exam - 21000 miles or 3 months maximum

I need to check, but a C exam on a Class 318 is about 80000 miles

Last edited:

The_Stig

EMU's are serviced in mileage. If a train exceeds the allotted mileage between exams it is taken out of service, no ifs or buts.

An 'A' exam takes care of brakes, bogies, interior and a few other exterior tasks.

The 'B' exams are more thorough with everything in an 'A' plus traction motors, gear-case lubrication etc.

The 334's have a set maintenance schedule that is set up in mileage and are all called 'A' exams. They are different in levels of work to be undertaken. I don't know of any 'B' exams currently being done on the 334 fleet but know that they have had the C4 which has not long ended. They are due their C6 shortly.

Shields depot does have a wheel lathe that is brand new. This is part of the deal with Siemens and co. for the new 380's and maintenance shed that is currently being built.

Status
Not open for further replies.