• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train shunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nb2001uk

Hi, my first post here.

Im 19 years old and have been interested in the railway industry ever since being asked by Primary School teachers ''What would you like to be when you grow up''
My end goal is to become a train driver, and yes i am aware of the entry requirements, the tests, the training etc.

I have been told that its best to work your way up, in order for you to get recognition in the company and to stand out amongst other applicants.
I particularly liked the idea of 'Train Shunting' but im having some trouble finding any results online, it just leads to roles within the bus industry.
If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
There was literally s shunter role vacancy , posted yesterday on this forum.

Stigy

Established Member
I think you have to be 21 to be a train Shunter, as it’s a safety critical role
If it’s a depot driver or shunt driver etc you’d have to be 21, but for safety critical roles where there’s no driving involved, it’s 18.

DRS66421

@nb2001uk Hi, I'm in the same sort of situation. I turn 19 next month and struggling to get my foot in the door. For me becoming a train driver would be a dream come true.

nb2001uk

@nb2001uk Hi, I'm in the same sort of situation. I turn 19 next month and struggling to get my foot in the door. For me becoming a train driver would be a dream come true.

Hey. I applied for the GTR rail shunter - I doubt that I will be successful but its a dream so i applied, if you dont try you dont know. Just so you are aware its 18+ and not 21 plus like the above people mentioned.

Yes, I have been told by a train driver that getting a job in another part of the railway would be good to get you on the tracks to becoming a train driver.

LRV3004

I currently work as a shunter for a freight operator, with hopefully progression to driving as the operator I work for want to progress you to becoming a driver, therefore passing the driver psychometric exams is part of the application process. Therefore you can become a shunter and progress (eventually) to driving without the pressure of passing the psychometrics as you’ll have already got those ticked off!
It is best to try and get your foot in the door at a lower level and work your way up - I began my career on the railway working permanent nights as a carriage cleaner for £4.30 per hour!

GB

Established Member
18 to be a shunter. 18 also to be a shunter-driver *off network.

*There are also some places were you can drive on Network Rail infrastructure and not have to be 21 or hold a valid psychometric.

nb2001uk

I currently work as a shunter for a freight operator, with hopefully progression to driving as the operator I work for want to progress you to becoming a driver, therefore passing the driver psychometric exams is part of the application process. Therefore you can become a shunter and progress (eventually) to driving without the pressure of passing the psychometrics as you’ll have already got those ticked off!
It is best to try and get your foot in the door at a lower level and work your way up - I began my career on the railway working permanent nights as a carriage cleaner for £4.30 per hour!

Yes I agree. Thanks!

BloominMan

I know carriage cleaners on £16 an hour now, more at weekends. Fair enough, hard job.

I agree though, easier to start lower level and work up.

Status
Not open for further replies.