• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Sim World

Trackman

Established Member
Lots of TSW news today:

-TS4 announced, including a UK route, German Route, US route as is now normal.
- Peterborough-Doncaster ECML route featuring the Azuma Announced
- Flying Scotsman steam locomotive pack announced with Maroon Mk2's (wouldn't an A4/Mallard make more sense on this stretch of the ECML)
- New route map released for Ormskirk-Preston-Blackpool North and South. I like this mini network route concept :)
- Plenty of other UK routes/stock announced as upcoming on the roadmap although no details yet.
- Swiss and Austria routes announced on the road map, as well as more US and German add ons.
The big one is they are releasing PC tools for it.
It's the Unreal engine 4 toolkit they use, so you can create trains, routes, scenarios, or modify existing ones.
Sounds interesting, we'll see what happens.

Pah. What exactly was the point in TSW3, released less than a year ago? As the Americans would say, Dovetail love to 'nickel and dime' their audience.
I did sigh when I heard the news.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
Admittedly the PC toolkit is exciting and let's hope we get some quality creations for it. Even something as simple as backdating existing routes would add value.

The rest falls flat unfortunately and I shan't be partaking anytime soon. Does anyone else dislike the part-routes they keep releasing? It makes the experience a lot less immersive to me.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The editing tools releasing at long last is great news, but the intercity routes are still too short to really interest me.

The route mileage limitations work a lot better for routes with slower services and plenty of stations, but feel very short otherwise.

Energy

Established Member
It's a shame the ECML route won't include KX to Pboro. Plenty of scope for variety with the 387s and 700s that could have been layered in.
With the Brighton Main Line and 700 already made I was expecting Thameslink + ECML to Pboro as well.

Dovetail seem to have increasingly focused on routes with only 1 kind of traction but longer length. Lack of 91+Mk4 on Pboro to Doncaster is a bit dissapointing.

CTS1990

With the Brighton Main Line and 700 already made I was expecting Thameslink + ECML to Pboro as well.

Dovetail seem to have increasingly focused on routes with only 1 kind of traction but longer length. Lack of 91+Mk4 on Pboro to Doncaster is a bit dissapointing.
Yes I agree. I suspect the southern end of the route would have required significant detailing, especially around London. The Emirates stadium, Welwyn viaduct and complex trackwork around KX etc. If they used too many generic objects, it would spoil it for me.

Definitely a missed opportunity though to match the busy variety around Victoria that you get with London to Brighton.

JohnMcL7

I'd have been preordering if it included a class 91 for the ECML but nothing there that I'm interested in, the roadmap is a bit vague so will have to wait and see what routes and locos will be coming.

Silver Cobra

I'll admit that Train Sim World 4 has piqued my interest more than any previous version of TSW has so far, particularly with the inclusion of the ECML and Class 801 Azuma (the main route I play in TS Classic is the ECML). It's not quite enough to get me to pre-order the game, especially with games in other more prominent franchises coming out around the same time, but quite likely a bit further along it's release roadmap I'll pick the game up (hoping they could add the Class 91/Mk 4 in the mean time).

Energy

Established Member
Yes I agree. I suspect the southern end of the route would have required significant detailing, especially around London. The Emirates stadium, Welwyn viaduct and complex trackwork around KX etc. If they used too many generic objects, it would spoil it for me.
TSW3 launched with Kassel-Wurzburg which was similar similar length and mostly open fields though only 1 station in the middle. I fear we will see more of this style of route, which aren't particularly interesting.

I hope they add more to this route, it would be nice to go south to London (and hopefully Thameslink) or have lines around Peterborough like to Norwich.
(hoping they could add the Class 91/Mk 4 in the mean time).
Dovetail and their partners have a tendency to leave additional stock to DLCs, Cathcart circle had 385s left to DLC as the 314s could operate all services.

Kassel -Wurzburg did have 2 types of stock but the ICE 3 had appeared previously.

Trackman

Established Member
Admittedly the PC toolkit is exciting and let's hope we get some quality creations for it. Even something as simple as backdating existing routes would add value.

The rest falls flat unfortunately and I shan't be partaking anytime soon. Does anyone else dislike the part-routes they keep releasing? It makes the experience a lot less immersive to me.

I watched a bit of the TSW webcast last night, it seems the PC editor is a right pain to use unless you are an Unreal 4 engine editor - well at least they warned us - plus it's stand-alone.

It's a shame the ECML route won't include KX to Pboro. Plenty of scope for variety with the 387s and 700s that could have been layered in.

Also watched an you-tube video last night having a right go at the TSW4 update and the ECML.
The presenter was totally baffled about the ECML, like what you said why not include KGX to PBO.
I liked the opening statement at the beginning of the video, is was something like 'I don't normally swear... but with TSW4'

CTS1990

The new ECML is quite a nice route, I’m loving it a lot, shame there’s no 91s or HSTs and just Azumas
Yes, I agree...although a 91 might follow in the near future. I played it for the first time last night and was quite impressed. There are numerous bugs which haven't been fixed yet, so I hope they are sorted soon.

There is a free roam mode I'd like to get to grips with...Pboro and Doncaster sidings need a lot more rolling stock added for realism.

Amnesiac

Hoping for the bugs to be fixed but also really enjoying the ECML route! Agree about the Peterborough - Doncaster being an odd choice of section though!

cf111

Established Member
I've spent most of my TSW4 time on the Antelope Valley line as its something a wee bit different. I am enjoying it, can't comment on how true to life it is but it has some longer passenger turns which I always felt TSW has lacked. I am hoping we get some diesel Amtrak stock at some point.

The limited length of the ECML route disappointed me too. I think the Azuma is good fun but if only it went to King's Cross or just a bit further north.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I'm driving a 377 on the London Brighton line and I need to uncouple a unit. How on earth do I do this please?
There's no tutorial or hint I can find.

Hi Strat-tastic,
You will need to key out, walk to the cab nearest the point that you are uncoupling, key in, push the uncouple button and reverse away slightly (possibly until the front is on a marker in this case), then key out, walk back to the front, key in and ready to go.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Hi Strat-tastic,
You will need to key out, walk to the cab nearest the point that you are uncoupling, key in, push the uncouple button and reverse away slightly (possibly until the front is on a marker in this case), then key out, walk back to the front, key in and ready to go.
That's very helpful; thanks!

Iskra

Established Member
The new Just Trains Ormskirk-Preston-Blackpool North/South is looking stunning on a recent development update:

17 October 2023
Time for an ATTENTION TO DETAIL Development Update. As the title suggests this one covers some of the amazing attention to detail the Just Trains development team have given to the Preston-Ormskirk & Blackpool route. From atmospheric signal box interiors to detailed trackside equipment there’s a wealth of extra detail added throughout the route to breathe life into the areas that surround the tracks. Below are just a few instances of where we’ve taken time to add in extra visual features to provide a more detailed and immersive experience.

Signal Box Interiors: Three signal box interiors are featured in the route, including the impressive Blackpool North No.2 Signal Box. Blackpool North No.2 box was opened by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in 1896 and featured 120 levers. In 1986 it was still providing a vital role in controlling not only the arrival and departure of service trains, but also shunt manoeuvres into the busy carriage sidings. This signal box would continue in use until November 2017 when the North line was electrified. Further signal box interiors are included at Salwick and St Annes (Closed). These boxes vary in both size and condition compared to Blackpool North No.2. Looking inside these boxes you will see not only the lever frames but the route map that the box controls plus signalling devices and even old comfy armchairs to help give you the “being there” feeling. These three signal boxes are great locations to pop into and watch the various services blast past.

Lineside equipment: We have spent a lot of time creating and placing a large variety of lineside equipment and railway specific objects in the Blackpool Branches route. Much like our Train Simulator Classic routes we believe that a detailed lineside improves immersion as you drive cross the route. We have created signal cables and point rodding, along with other key features such as loose sleepers, ballast piles, gas bottles and lineside cabinets, all of these provide a wealth of lineside furniture to keep the trackside looking busy, just as in real life.

Varied foliage: Throughout the route you will find that the foliage is extensive, vibrant and varied and importantly, true to life as we could get it as to how it was at each location during the 1980s. From grassy embankments to Rosebay Willow providing a breath of colour at Poulton, you’ll find we’ve taken great care in placing foliage along the entire route, and wherever possible matching it to actual period photographs. Now that’s being authentic!

Clutter: As there’s a general lack of 1980’s clutter available in Train Sim World we decided to go to town and create a whole raft of new custom-built era-specific assets to adorn the lines to Blackpool and Ormskirk. From British Rail posters to the furniture of the Travellers Fare coffee shop at Preston, you will constantly find a new variety of clutter across the route, including a set of brand-new period specific vehicles all placed throughout the route.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: The Blackpool Pleasure Beach, as it was in 1986, proved a challenging but fun experience for the Just Trains Team to create. We have included the most noticeable rollercoasters as seen from the train, including The Big Dipper, The Grand National and Steeplechase, there’s also a few other items included that could be seen whilst riding along the line to Blackpool South. Whilst The Big One Roller coaster wasn’t built until 1994, you’ll still see be able to see the distinctive skyline made by the Pleasure Beach as you approach the area.

So, those are just a few examples of things to look out for along the route, you’ll find a lot more besides when you load up and take a trip to either Ormskirk or The Fylde Coast! We hope you've enjoyed this update. All the screenshots below represent the various sections listed in the text above.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For anyone who might be interested Train Sim World 4 is currently quite heavily discounted on Steam as a Black Friday sale. The Special Edition is £44.99 (usually £89.99), the Deluxe is £31.79 (usually £52.99) and the Standard £25.99 (usually £39.99). Whilst I think Dovetail are somewhat taking the mickey with making Train Sim World a seemingly annual release one thing to their credit is that they do at least offer regular sales and with decent discount levels. All you have to do is a wait for a sale and at least you can pick up three routes (or more depending on the edition you go for!) for as little as £26 which isn't crackers in terms of value.

Trackman

Established Member
For anyone who might be interested Train Sim World 4 is currently quite heavily discounted on Steam as a Black Friday sale. The Special Edition is £44.99 (usually £89.99), the Deluxe is £31.79 (usually £52.99) and the Standard £25.99 (usually £39.99). Whilst I think Dovetail are somewhat taking the mickey with making Train Sim World a seemingly annual release one thing to their credit is that they do at least offer regular sales and with decent discount levels. All you have to do is a wait for a sale and at least you can pick up three routes (or more depending on the edition you go for!) for as little as £26 which isn't crackers in terms of value.
DTG are a bit like MFI with sales :--)
Think I bought TSW4 deluxe for £30.. pre-sale though.
DTG usually go bananas with discounts around Christmas time, not with brand new routes though.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
DTG are a bit like MFI with sales :--)
Ha very true :lol:

Think I bought TSW4 deluxe for £30.. pre-sale though.

Yeah just picked up TSW4 deluxe, £32 seemed a reasonable enough deal to me!

DTG usually go bananas with discounts around Christmas time, not with brand new routes though.

Yeah their routes go through a process when it comes to sales clearly. First sale after release it'll be nowt, full price (not unreasonably!), next sale probably a small discount, next a slightly larger discount, until eventually it'll be something like 70% off the RRP.

Trackman

Established Member
Yeah their routes go through a process when it comes to sales clearly. First sale after release it'll be nowt, full price (not unreasonably!), next sale probably a small discount, next a slightly larger discount, until eventually it'll be something like 70% off the RRP.
Have you got the Preston-Blackpool route yet? I bought it straight away. Not disappointed, better than I thought it would be, that route won't be discounted for ages I guess.

JohnMcL7

Is it worth getting TSW4 for the features or only if interested in the new content?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have you got the Preston-Blackpool route yet? I bought it straight away. Not disappointed, better than I thought it would be, that route won't be discounted for ages I guess.
I haven't bought that one personally, its certainly one I intend to pick up but I'm happy to wait for it to get discounted.

Silver Cobra

I picked up the Standard Edition and the UK Expansion Bundle (containing the Southeastern High-Speed, Midland Main Line, Class 700/0 and Rail Treatment Train at 70% off) for £49.45 all in. That felt a pretty reasonable price for this combo.

Trackman

Established Member
I haven't bought that one personally, its certainly one I intend to pick up but I'm happy to wait for it to get discounted.
They are already sorting out a software patch for various things, so it's probably worth waiting.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
For PC maybe; Xbox seems to get ignored for sales :'(

LiftFan

I've been having trouble on the MML route on TSW4, I can't for the life of me get the 158 to move in the training centre no matter what I do. Anybody else have this issue?

I've been having trouble on the MML route on TSW4, I can't for the life of me get the 158 to move in the training centre no matter what I do. Anybody else have this issue?
I haven't had any issues getting it to move, although I haven't tried driving it in the training centre. Are you following all the steps in the tutorial? It might be something as simple as not resetting the DRA.