• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwhunited

Just out of curiosity is there a website in which you could track trains and see where and what trains are due in at certain stations, I know they do this with shipping but not seen one for rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Open Train Times can do that, but I find for what stations they show it rather sporadic, I can get it for Wolves and Preston, but not smaller stations.

Eagle

Established Member
Open Train Times can do that, but I find for what stations they show it rather sporadic, I can get it for Wolves and Preston, but not smaller stations.

It only shows up at TIPLOCs, and not every station is a TIPLOC. Small non-TIPLOC stations aren't present in the timetables (unless the train stops there).

Established Member
Would be useful to have something like this from Hungary in the UK :D. Click on one of the "trains" (green dots) and it will tell you which loco / unit it is! Probably missing something here (Hungary definitely not my strong point) but can't seem to find the train numbers.

starrymarkb

Established Member
The Ship and Aircraft ones work because the ship/plane broadcasts its position. (Even then not every ship or plane does so - Most Bombardier and Embrear aircraft don't transmit enough info for tracking for example - ATC will use Radar and match the Squawk code to the Callsign at their end). With the correct receiver anyone can pick up these signals.

Trains are tracked by track occupancy systems. The train doesn't report its position, instead the track detects trains and reports back to the signaller via cables.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It only shows up at TIPLOCs, and not every station is a TIPLOC. Small non-TIPLOC stations aren't present in the timetables (unless the train stops there).

Every station has a TIPLOC (we would be knackered if it didn't !), you are getting confused with mandatory timing points which not all stations are. Open Train Times can only pick up stations from what I can establish, not other timing points, which is should be able to do with some ease if it is picking up WTT data.

Roylang

The Ship and Aircraft ones work because the ship/plane broadcasts its position. (Even then not every ship or plane does so - Most Bombardier and Embrear aircraft don't transmit enough info for tracking for example - ATC will use Radar and match the Squawk code to the Callsign at their end). With the correct receiver anyone can pick up these signals.

Trains are tracked by track occupancy systems. The train doesn't report its position, instead the track detects trains and reports back to the signaller via cables.

The restriction is not just on aircraft type but the transponder systems in use. the matching of squawk codes with flight planning information remains the primary approach today.

In the future the information transmitted will be far more advanced and the carriage of modern transmitters in much of the managed airspace mandatory. I sit in some of the meetings where the dates are argued back and forth. It will come one day, or the oil will run out ;)

Roy

Established Member
I am guessing that the Hungarian example I gave above uses GPS fitted to the locos and units, not sure how many items in the UK have such equipment fitted but would imagine that the vast majority have these days?

Eagle

Established Member
Every station has a TIPLOC (we would be knackered if it didn't !), you are getting confused with mandatory timing points which not all stations are. Open Train Times can only pick up stations from what I can establish, not other timing points, which is should be able to do with some ease if it is picking up WTT data.

OTT does pick up other timing points (junctions, signals, loops etc) if you're in Advanced mode... it's entirely based off WTT data.

Tried clicking the word Normal in the corner? :roll:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

OTT does have all TIPLOCs in, when viewing in advanced mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.