• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - DB Cargo - Various locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnlh

Not a thing mate they said we should know in about 4 weeks

Yeah they did say the same to me and it’s 3 weeks tomorrow from my interview. Just wondering as at every other stage they’ve been back to me really quick. Hopefully we will hear soon.

Marx

Yeah they did say the same to me and it’s 3 weeks tomorrow from my interview. Just wondering as at every other stage they’ve been back to me really quick. Hopefully we will hear soon.
That’s what I thought at every other stage they have been super quick to let us know .. but no news is good news I suppose

train_lover

That’s what I thought at every other stage they have been super quick to let us know .. but no news is good news I suppose

I had my interview at the start of December. I only found out that I had passed the interview last month. I wouldn't worry too much, they are very busy!

Lenny_1986

Has anyone heard back yet reference the North East and North West Trainee Driver latest recruitment?

T-bo1

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from interview stages, I had my interview 26th February. In Islington, was told there depot possibly be hoo junction, when I called recruitment Tuesday they said depot be barking ‍, was told 3-4 weeks from interview but haven't heard anything as of yet.

Last edited:

sspjpeter

I had my interview at the start of December. I only found out that I had passed the interview last month. I wouldn't worry too much, they are very busy!
Has anyone from the March interviews been placed in the talent pool?? I just received my ticket today by post..

Also is it possible that the 12 months can actually expire before you get called up for a medical and all??

johnlh

Yeah I heard back yesterday and I’m also in the talent pool. No idea on time scales by the sounds of it though.

Marx

Snap me too got my ticket ... just have to wait and see what happens ... does seem odd that they’ve run a recruitment campaign but don’t have any vacancies

Lenny_1986

Got an invite to assessment email today from the latest recruitment drive for Trainee Driver North East & North West but I already stated on my application that I have passed all assessments. I have emailed them back to clarify the situation. Does anyone have any information on this regarding having to do assessments a second time or has anyone else been contacted.

Stigy

Established Member
Got an invite to assessment email today from the latest recruitment drive for Trainee Driver North East & North West but I already stated on my application that I have passed all assessments. I have emailed them back to clarify the situation. Does anyone have any information on this regarding having to do assessments a second time or has anyone else been contacted.
I was fast tacked to SAM (Safety Assurance Manager) Interview which is basically a DMI. My assessment passes were all 3.5 years old bar the MMI, Group Bourden and DFFT, which were recent.

I have however heard stories of DB making people retake them regardless though, which always seemed a bit strange.

Lenny_1986

Thanks for the info Stigy. I passed less than 6 months ago to enhanced so maybe they never noticed on my application and now that I’ve mentioned it again I won’t have to re sit.

johnlh

Has anyone in the talent pool heard anything else in relation to courses etc?

Gary Craig

Hey everyone. Had a call today and I'm on the August course. Couldn't make the July one comfortably with other commitments. So hopefully someone else will hear something soon as well. Two more spaces on the August course.

Stigy

Established Member
Hey everyone. Had a call today and I'm on the August course. Couldn't make the July one comfortably with other commitments. So hopefully someone else will hear something soon as well. Two more spaces on the August course.
Congrats! Bet you’re over the moon!

johnlh

Congrats mate, I still haven't heard anything but at least courses are still running! What depot you gone for?

Gary Craig

Anyone on here currently working for DB as a driver? Just wondering what the rotas are like in relation to stability. I know they are a 13 week rota set around 35 hrs week etc... But what in after is any info on how far ahead the shifts are set, so I can plan holidays and things? Do they chop and change the work/rest day pattern at short notice or is that pretty much set in stone.

Atishyou

Anyone on here currently working for DB as a driver? Just wondering what the rotas are like in relation to stability. I know they are a 13 week rota set around 35 hrs week etc... But what in after is any info on how far ahead the shifts are set, so I can plan holidays and things? Do they chop and change the work/rest day pattern at short notice or is that pretty much set in stone.

It's set round a 32 hour week now.

Rest day pattern and turns are usually reviewed every quarter or 6 months, depending on the traffic, but your annual leave and days off are known. Weekly rosters are produced by 18.00 for the following week, this helps accommodate changes for customers.

If you've booked something on a Rd, which then gets changed to a working turn, you can do a Clause 30, where you nominate another day to work so you still get your original day off.

Or you can pre bank days off, work overtime but have them as extra Rd instead of paid.

Gary Craig

Atishyou, many thanks for that. So do you find its a good company to work for, work life balance etc? Are you able to plan ahead for things?

Atishyou

Atishyou, many thanks for that. So do you find its a good company to work for, work life balance etc? Are you able to plan ahead for things?

As with everything, it's an individual's opinion. I think it's mostly good now, there's been some big changes over the last 2 years and changes are still being made.

From a work / life point of view, I do struggle to plan some things if I don't know what I'm working. However, I do ask the roster clerk for the odd favour here and there and obviously am willing to repay it. As I said, you can bank rest days, swap shifts etc or book extra leave depending on what you want to attend. I get to pick up or drop my kids off at school far more often than some other parents.

Are you coming from a TOC or outside the industry?

It's the most enjoyable job I've had and the one where I've spent the most amount of time at home too.

Gary Craig

As with everything, it's an individual's opinion. I think it's mostly good now, there's been some big changes over the last 2 years and changes are still being made.

From a work / life point of view, I do struggle to plan some things if I don't know what I'm working. However, I do ask the roster clerk for the odd favour here and there and obviously am willing to repay it. As I said, you can bank rest days, swap shifts etc or book extra leave depending on what you want to attend. I get to pick up or drop my kids off at school far more often than some other parents.

Are you coming from a TOC or outside the industry?

It's the most enjoyable job I've had and the one where I've spent the most amount of time at home too.
Mate that is super info. Really appreciate the honesty. I am coming from outside but have worked shifts for the past 17 years. Earlies lates and nights. So enjoy that extra time with the family. Hence why I went for this role. I like shifts. I know some don't. But after a lot of negative things said about freight, it looks like DB are changing things for the better?

Atishyou

Mate that is super info. Really appreciate the honesty. I am coming from outside but have worked shifts for the past 17 years. Earlies lates and nights. So enjoy that extra time with the family. Hence why I went for this role. I like shifts. I know some don't. But after a lot of negative things said about freight, it looks like DB are changing things for the better?

The 'new' CEO and his team are certainly wanting the company to work and are keen to listen to those who do the job day in and day out.

Freight is a merry-go-round of work. One company loses, another gains and then that company can't fulfil another contract they've got, so that moves on etc. But there's many positives too... My route card is significant, I drive different traction and trains most days, there's short shifts, cancelled shifts etc too, then there's the 192 instances or 1536 hours, which, when you've done them, you're either off or on overtime. All in, I enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.