• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - DB Cargo - Various locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
It's whatever works for you isn't it. Personally, we have about 3 weeks of nights in our 13 week link, with 2 flex weeks (can be rostered any shifts for up to 5 days of that week).

People need to look at it for what it is, it's an opportunity to get a driving role on the railway. If they don't like nights, don't get a job on the railway. Many passenger depots have shifts starting at 2 or 3am and with more and more running night services, there will be some more night work (obviously less than freight).
I agree. It work for a TOC at the moment, but I’d take a trainee driver (or junior driver) position whatever it entailed within reason. As you say, it’s an entry point in to driving. Freight kind of appeals more than passenger services to me, but if I went driving with my current TOC, admittedly the hours would be more sociable and family friendly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tempuser

Anyone know what the London and travel allowance is worth. Seems like a good starting salary to me. How long before you're on the proper though? A couple of years? Applied for Acton.

Stigy

Established Member
Anyone know what the London and travel allowance is worth. Seems like a good starting salary to me. How long before you're on the proper though? A couple of years? Applied for Acton.
Not sure that trainee salary is accurate as the ad appears directly copied from that of the Junior Driver vacancies where that £28.5k is the actual salary. Atishyou May be able to advise about a more accurate salary for trainees.

Firestarter

Acton has now been removed from the advert

Atishyou

I believe the London allowance is £3394 for hubs that have a start point within 40 miles of Charing Cross.

Unless they have changed the progression, you can be on the big money in a matter of months, which is all dependent on getting your hours in, availability of mentors, road learning etc. It's not like passenger driving where you pass out on £30k then go up in increments, or it didn't used to be.

Not sure that trainee salary is accurate as the ad appears directly copied from that of the Junior Driver vacancies where that £28.5k is the actual salary. Atishyou May be able to advise about a more accurate salary for trainees.

That trainee salary is a new one on me. It used to be circa £20-24k, but I suppose with the intro of the Junior role, it's been increased in line with that.

valleyguard

Does anyone know if DB will accept relocation? I'm 15 minutes outside of the hour commute so I could move a few miles away and be within.

Cyclist

any ideas on the relocation policy for this one? It says live within 1 hour but how strict are they if you're willing to relocate?

tempuser

I quite like the idea of driving one of those big diesel locomotives. Must be great. They're actually selling 3 class 60 locomotives if anyone is interested :) Anyway, I've got no idea how many trainees they're taking on and what the probabilities are of being shortlisted, but fingers-crossed and good luck to everyone else as well.

Juliet Barvo

" Have completed at least 9 years education (primary and secondary) "

I didn't do Secondary Education beyond the second year because they kept punishing me for being Dyslexiic (Head of Lower School: "So, your results are steadily dropping, why is that? Here, have a Detention."), but I went on to further education... if It's not a full Secondary Education, would they accept me?

Also, I've got through to MTR Crossrail DML !!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!

Would MTR Crossrail take a dim view if I put in a second application for a different firm, would I be prejudicing my application with MTR?

Gooner18

I didn't do Secondary Education beyond the second year because they kept punishing me for being Dyslexiic (Head of Lower School: "So, your results are steadily dropping, why is that? Here, have a Detention."), but I went on to further education... if It's not a full Secondary Education, would they accept me?

Would MTR Crossrail take a dim view if I put in a second application for a different firm, would I be prejudicing my application with MTR?

Congratulations . Not at all I done arriva and GA , got both offers now just struggling to chose lol

Juliet Barvo

I've got a hold of the Tech Specs for the 345 !!

And access to the learning legacy form Crossrail !! I can tell you that the platform edge doors are earthed directly to the local rail, and are insulated from the Platform Edge Screen; this is to prevent passengers becoming a route for the traction current as they exit the trains. Very important detail. 42km of precats concrete lining, 12km of sprayed Concrete Lining.

Gooner18

And access to the learning legacy form Crossrail !! I can tell you that the platform edge doors are earthed directly to the local rail, and are insulated from the Platform Edge Screen; this is to prevent passengers becoming a route for the traction current as they exit the trains. Very important detail. 42km of precats concrete lining, 12km of sprayed Concrete Lining.

Excellent that will only help you in your interview

Atishyou

Can you keep this relevant to DB please.

Stigy

Established Member

As long as you can demonstrate a decent aptitude and you have something to put on the application forms in terms of education I don’t think it really matters. I guess it can partly depend on how old you are (if you’ve left school at 14 and are now only 21, you might struggle with a CV, as I guess anybody would?).

Fair play to you though, and I understand what you’ve gone through. I was never diagnosed with dyslexia but believe I’m on that spectrum, but probably similar to you, when I was at secondary school (in the nineties), it wasn’t as recognised as it is now and people often slipped under the radar.

I was quite frankly a failure at school, but I’ve done okay for myself in terms of my career and I’d like to think my CV now speaks for itself and I’m given a chance for an interview. I’m sure it’ll be the same for you.

Last edited:

Saffa

Having spoken to HR this morning, the shifts don't sound great at all. Ive therefore withdrawn.

Good luck to all still going for it!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Having spoken to HR this morning, the shifts don't sound great at all. Ive therefore withdrawn.

Good luck to all still going for it!

Care to share what they said?

I thought it went without saying that freight work very unsociable shifts. There isn't much freight moved in the daytime compared to how much is moved in the small hours and overnight

Saffa

Care to share what they said?
Just that the shifts are rostered in on a week by week basis. Alot of unsocial hours which I'm good with but ideally want more than a week's notice! Also your annual leave is rostered in for you and they can change this if they need to.

Generally you'll work 3 weeks on and then have 2 off which sounded great to me but I reckon you'd work a hell of alot on those 3 weeks.

Im a copper so shift work is the norm for me. HR explained it as, "police shift work on steroids".... Its not a role for anyone with childcare, which i do, so I'm out.

Good luck!

Just that the shifts are rostered in on a week by week basis. Alot of unsocial hours which I'm good with but ideally want more than a week's notice! Also your annual leave is rostered in for you and they can change this if they need to.

Generally you'll work 3 weeks on and then have 2 off which sounded great to me but I reckon you'd work a hell of alot on those 3 weeks.

Im a copper so shift work is the norm for me. HR explained it as, "police shift work on steroids".... Its not a role for anyone with childcare, which i do, so I'm out.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

The shift work doesn't bother me and I no longer have children that need looking after (they just need money it seems :smile:) My annual leave is fairly restrictive in terms of dates and is always at the most expensive times of the year so any change from that will be a bonus!

Atishyou

Good luck!

Your annual leave is rostered and you can change it too.

I'd be surprised if an employee of DB HR said that it was like Police shifts on steroids, especially to potential recruitment candidates.

Its like any job that is shift work, you take the rough with the smooth and enjoy your days off. Depends how much you want to go mainline train driving.

Stigy

Established Member

Good luck!
From what I’ve researched, a lot of freight work is rostered week by week. Regarding the annual leave, that’s a Railway thing. Certainly where I work all Guards and Drivers have their leave rostered, but it can be changed if required and resources permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.