• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Vacancy - Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatman

Everything just got very real, very fast....

Contract is through, notice at work handed in same day.....That feeling of "Oh sh*t this is actually happening" is really starting to sink in now, absolutely buzzing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GMT

Contract is through, notice at work handed in same day.....That feeling of "Oh sh*t this is actually happening" is really starting to sink in now, absolutely buzzing!

Well done Goatman, enjoy that feeling of satisfaction. Are you going to bring the goat with you when driving the train?

Unfortunately, I had to wake up, my dream didn't last forever. I failed the last hurdle, the MMI, but I knew it would be very hard for me to overcome given my background. Good experience though. And that feeling of accomplishment after having finished the assessment successfully...Never mind, life goes on. Hopefully driving a bus.

Good luck to all.

Videoman76

Nice one Goatman, when's your start date? I'm starting at the beginning of December. When you got your contract, did it say where you'll be training? It was mentioned to me that as GTR have so many trainees going through, my training is likely to be with Southeastern and I've been led to believe that the training is conducted in either Ashford or Orpington. Presumably, where Selhurst has been mentioned above, this will be for trainees actually training with GTR. Any details you could provide would be useful, though that said, I should be getting my contract shortly. Cheers.

NickR; it's interesting to hear about your hearing situation. I hope it all works out for you. I've been in the 'job' for just around 2 years and I have suffered hearing loss in one ear which just happens to be the ear in which I wear my ear piece. My hearing was still adequate to pass the test thankfully. However, until I leave, which is only a few weeks away, I've got the radio's speaker switched on.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with your application.

Videoman76

Nkay11

Nice one Goatman, when's your start date? I'm starting at the beginning of December. When you got your contract, did it say where you'll be training? It was mentioned to me that as GTR have so many trainees going through, my training is likely to be with Southeastern and I've been led to believe that the training is conducted in either Ashford or Orpington. Presumably, where Selhurst has been mentioned above, this will be for trainees actually training with GTR. Any details you could provide would be useful, though that said, I should be getting my contract shortly. Cheers.

NickR; it's interesting to hear about your hearing situation. I hope it all works out for you. I've been in the 'job' for just around 2 years and I have suffered hearing loss in one ear which just happens to be the ear in which I wear my ear piece. My hearing was still adequate to pass the test thankfully. However, until I leave, which is only a few weeks away, I've got the radio's speaker switched on.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with your application.

Videoman76

Can i ask where you've heard this?
I'd be VERY surprised if the training was at Ashford or Orpington when i'm fairly confident that we will not be signing routes around there... pretty sure it would just be with Gillingham drivers?

As for the Selhurst rumour... i have it from a good source that we will be getting trained at Cannon Street... not Selhurst... nothing in the contract though.. time will tell.

Well done fella! I had my medical Friday just gone and they only needed the pee test to be confirmed before they confirm that I'm in finally.

Already have a start date of 14th Nov, so I hope they let me know asap :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd be VERY surprised if the training was at Ashford or Orpington when i'm fairly confident that we will not be signing routes around there... pretty sure it would just be with Gillingham drivers?

As for the Selhurst rumour... i have it from a good source that we will be getting trained at Cannon Street... not Selhurst... nothing in the contract though.. time will tell.

Bit odd on one knows where the training is. Surely as it's based from Gillingham they would want to train somewhere near by?

I suppose as long as a train can get us thete that's all that matters :)

ComUtoR

Established Member

Depots often do more than one route as it allows for flexibility and diversionaries.

Gillingham GTR route will be up the Greenwich and Orpington GTR route will be Sevenoaks Via bat and ball or up the main (via Orpington). Not sure where the GTR Ashford route will be and not seen any confirmation of which depot will sign which routes.

Videoman76

Thanks ComUtoR, that's interesting to know.

I suppose that at the end of the day, I'm delighted to have a start date and I'll be happy to train wherever. Time will tell.

All the best.

Videoman76

Nkay11

Depots often do more than one route as it allows for flexibility and diversionaries.

Gillingham GTR route will be up the Greenwich and Orpington GTR route will be Sevenoaks Via bat and ball or up the main (via Orpington). Not sure where the GTR Ashford route will be and not seen any confirmation of which depot will sign which routes.

Routes haven't been confirmed yet as far as i'm aware?

Class2ldn

Well it's not too hard to work out really is it??
Apparently they are aiming to have a max of 60 drivers at Gillingham and 35 at Ashford.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Routes haven't been confirmed yet as far as i'm aware?

Pretty sure they are confirmed in my inbox. Nothing has been directly confirmed or set up for what each depot will get allocated in terms of diagrams, establishment etc. but the routes are very well known.

I have my doubts that Gill Drivers will sign the Sevenoaks route but it would still make perfect sense as giving a depot a single route is asking for trouble. Ashford will most likely sign both routes as they could be diverted either way.

Well it's not too hard to work out really is it??

Not really <D

I would also add that I would also expect that Orpington could easily sign other GTR routes as well. You could get from Orpington to Kentish, then ECS into Cricklewood goods, and still fit in a Sutton loop and back in time to book off at Orpy.

You also need to remember that units will be booked out of Sevenoaks for 05XX in the morning. You need local depots on each route to ensure you can book on and get a train there in time for the early and late services.

I haven't seen any berthing arrangements yet but they will need to be worked out and you can berth units at Orpington, Sevenoaks and Bellingham.

I will admit that it is a very very educated guess but we are getting updates as it all progresses. Some initial numbers are indeed being rumoured.

It is a long process and doesn't really affect new entrants as it should all be sewn up before you guys and gals start.

So notice handed in today. Start date of the 14th November and I finish here on the 9th so a few days to chill and reset my brain cells for the new challenge.

Anyone else starting 14th?

cwjohnstone

Had my DMI yesterday afternoon and got the call first thing this morning to start 21st Nov pending medical. Anyone else in on the 21st?

Biohazardous

Hi all
I applied for the trainee train driver position at Gillingham in September. I haven't heard anything yet and the application hasn't moved to interview stage.
Does anyone know if this is normal to wait so long? I appreciate that there will be hundreds of applications to sift through. Is it a positive that I have not been rejected by now?

This is my first post, have been a lurker for quite a while!!

cwjohnstone

Hi all
I applied for the trainee train driver position at Gillingham in September. I haven't heard anything yet and the application hasn't moved to interview stage.
Does anyone know if this is normal to wait so long? I appreciate that there will be hundreds of applications to sift through. Is it a positive that I have not been rejected by now?

This is my first post, have been a lurker for quite a while!!

No news is good news mate, if they've looked at your form and you're no good then they would've binned you and you would've got the dear John email. Just have a read of other posts re: trainee driver recruitment and you'll soon see that it is not a quick process! It's a very sought after career and the organisation required to train a driver is huge. Just hang in there and if you're right for the job you'll get a call.... good luck

NickR

Had my DMI yesterday afternoon and got the call first thing this morning to start 21st Nov pending medical. Anyone else in on the 21st?

Well done mate, knew you would be fine!

My situation has got worse I'm afraid. Had my ears syringed last week and while it did feel clearer it didn't feel any different in terms of my hearing. I had an independent hearing test done the day after which shows I have 'reverse slope hearing loss' which is apparently quite rare (1 in every 12000 sufferers of hearing loss). In other words I have trouble with low frequencies but my high frequency hearing is abnormally good (on the audiogram I can go into the negative decibels). I went straight to the GP who has referred me to an ENT. I've e-mailed the recruitment team to let them know this and am waiting for them to get back to me.

What's frustrating is that no one can tell me exactly what sounds I'm missing. Everyone I've told doesn't believe me at first when I say I failed my hearing test! I've done LOADS of reading into this since and the sounds it says I shouldn't be hearing such as cars approaching, air conditioning etc I can hear with no problem. Sounds such as alarms are painfully loud to me because of that high frequency hearing I have.

I'm hoping that I may be able to do some alternative tests to show that in reality I can do the job with no problems but realistically looking at it from Thameslink's view why would they want a trainee with any kind of issues when they must have loads of perfectly fine applicants.

To be honest the last couple of weeks have been as depressing as I can remember. Especially coming from that high of passing the MMI.

Biohazardous

No news is good news mate, if they've looked at your form and you're no good then they would've binned you and you would've got the dear John email. Just have a read of other posts re: trainee driver recruitment and you'll soon see that it is not a quick process! It's a very sought after career and the organisation required to train a driver is huge. Just hang in there and if you're right for the job you'll get a call.... good luck

Thanks for that. I was optimistic that I hadn't been binned as yet but thanks for the reassurance. I know its a long process from reading this forum, just eager to know either way whether they think I may be suitable!
I won't give up hope yet!

carnty

Hi, I have a start date of the 21st too pending my medical on the 1st Nov so hopefully I will see you then.

Scattle

Anyone received joining instructions yet?
As in? When Trudy sent my contract through last month I got 7 or 8 different documents to read and some return such as uniform ordering and also where to go on first day, I start week monday 31st oct.

Nkay11

As in? When Trudy sent my contract through last month I got 7 or 8 different documents to read and some return such as uniform ordering and also where to go on first day, I start week monday 31st oct.

Interesting... i never received this. Not been told anything about induction yet.

Anyone received joining instructions yet?

The stuff Trudy sent through to me had the information in where and when to go for induction. Kentish town.

Gutted there's no gtr train I can get from Gillingham so it's only the last little ride which I don't have to pay for.

carnty

Hi Guys, yes I passed my medical yesterday and received a call today to say that they are offering me a job with a start date of 21st Nov. I would be interested to know where the training is though.:)

cwjohnstone

Hi Guys, yes I passed my medical yesterday and received a call today to say that they are offering me a job with a start date of 21st Nov. I would be interested to know where the training is though.:)

Nice one mate, look forward to meeting you on the 21st. If it's like other courses running at the moment we won't find out until we do our "corporate induction"...

Status
Not open for further replies.