• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Vacancy - Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwjohnstone

Anybody on the 31st starters got any info to share? Location of training, what's the plan for training etc.....?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anybody on the 31st starters got any info to share? Location of training, what's the plan for training etc.....?

Well done, if they start the same it should be a few days in Kentish town, then finish that week in cannon Street.
After that I've not been told myself.

bobbyc86

Yep I startled on the 31st first 4 days is at Kentish Town then on Friday off to Cannon Street which we going to be there for some time.

J5flyer

Hi all,

For those that have already started, can you give us an indication of the hours you are doing at Cannon Street - such as the typical start and finish times for this stage of the course? This is just so I can get a general idea of the trains I'll need to catch in the morning and what times I'll likely be home (mainly for the benefit of my family).

If you are willing to provide anymore information as well about the start of the course it would be appreciated, such as what you did on the depot introduction, where you did the PTS course the following week (I'm guessing!) and so on, just a basic overview really of your experiences so far so the rest of us starting soon know what we are in for at the start of the course, and so we can let our familys know what our schedule will be like for the first few weeks until we find out more info ourselves.

Also another question I had is, when do you sort out your uniform? Is that done during the company induction between Mon-Thu or later on?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

joystick

Hello Everyone, i wonder if anyone who has been for the assessment in Croydon could tell me and others on here what tests you should really concentrate on and is there any books that help ?

I have the test pack that came by email and wondered is this good enough to learn the tests by,any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers

NickR

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. Gutted I'm not starting with you but hopefully I can sort this stupid hearing thing out and join you soon.

@joystick - the test pack is all you need mate. The Group Bourdon Tool on this site I found useful too. I made the mistake of picking up a couple of the books on Amazon. They are awful. Good luck!

cwjohnstone

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. Gutted I'm not starting with you but hopefully I can sort this stupid hearing thing out and join you soon.

@joystick - the test pack is all you need mate. The Group Bourdon Tool on this site I found useful too. I made the mistake of picking up a couple of the books on Amazon. They are awful. Good luck!

Still no news mate??? :rolleyes:

Goatman

Hi all,

For those that have already started, can you give us an indication of the hours you are doing at Cannon Street - such as the typical start and finish times for this stage of the course? This is just so I can get a general idea of the trains I'll need to catch in the morning and what times I'll likely be home (mainly for the benefit of my family).

If you are willing to provide anymore information as well about the start of the course it would be appreciated, such as what you did on the depot introduction, where you did the PTS course the following week (I'm guessing!) and so on, just a basic overview really of your experiences so far so the rest of us starting soon know what we are in for at the start of the course, and so we can let our familys know what our schedule will be like for the first few weeks until we find out more info ourselves.

Also another question I had is, when do you sort out your uniform? Is that done during the company induction between Mon-Thu or later on?

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate, the hours at Cannon Street are 9-4....but some days you'll finish earlier, some days later....youll have a general corporate induction Mon - Thursday at Kentish Town... Then on the Friday you'll have an induction at Cannon Street, this is basically putting names to faces, what to expect and you'll get your uniform as well.

Were starting PTS today and this is our first week :)

Any other questions feel free to ask matey

NickR

Still no news mate??? :rolleyes:

Yeah went back for a hearing review with the medical centre last week. My right ear passes but I fail on one frequency in the left ear by just 5db! They were going to pass me initially but ultimately decided against it. Just gotta wait a bit more now and see what Thameslink want to do...

J5flyer

Thanks for the info Goatman. I'll also be starting soon so I'm not far behind you! Is there a way to private message on these forums?

cwjohnstone

Hi mate, the hours at Cannon Street are 9-4....but some days you'll finish earlier, some days later....youll have a general corporate induction Mon - Thursday at Kentish Town... Then on the Friday you'll have an induction at Cannon Street, this is basically putting names to faces, what to expect and you'll get your uniform as well.

Were starting PTS today and this is our first week :)

Any other questions feel free to ask matey

Sorta depends on which week and where they can fit you in, this weeks starters are at London Bridge....

RyanT

Hi. For the Gillingham depot I heard back early November telling me to book an assessment date. I see the same job deadline has been extended several times. I know they have a ton of applications to sift through so maybe you'll hear back soon.

Need2

Has anyone who applied in September for the trainee drivers job in Gillingham heard anything?

I applied at the end of June and have heard nowt yet!
It took just under 6 months at Southeastern before I heard anything. Don't expect and one day you'll be surprised. TOC's seem to reply within days or months :D

ninhog

I've been following related posts on this forum for a few months now.

I applied for the Gillingham position (I live in Chatham) in September. I received an email quite quickly to confirm my assessment date, which I attended. If you make it to the end of the day (they send people home throughout the day), you've passed! You'll have a good idea as to whether or not you've passed the final PC-based assessment.

A few days later, I received a phone call to invite me to a DMI. Went to it, did my best and waited for my phone to ring. Ring it did, and I was invited to an MMI. Of course by now, the anticipation is getting greater and greater because by this point, the end goal is in sight and let's be honest, we all know how tricky it can be to get accepted for the role.

Another phone call to congratulate me and invite me to a medical- this was about 4 weeks ago. On the morning of my medical, I had a phone call to say that the nurse hadn't arrived for the day and that it had to be rescheduled for a week later- that was a long week!

I attended the medical and the trickiest part was the tone test- I found that I was hearing the tone but wondering whether or not it was the tone I was hearing (there's still a fair amount of background noise, despite being in the sound booth) until it went up to the next level and became clear. From then onwards, I just clicked the button as soon as I thought I could hear the tone.

As someone who hasn't worn glasses before, imagine my horror when I was told that my eyesight don't meet the required standard. My heart stopped as I couldn't believe I'd gotten all this way and now I was going to fail because of something outside of my control (I'm kicking myself for not getting an eye test as soon as I had the date for the medical).

Fortunately, I was reassured that this happens a lot and that I just needed glasses and re-sit the visual test.

I managed to get an eye appointment 3 days later and I found that I did need a small prescription. My new glasses (2 pairs!) arrived 4 days later and as soon as I got the phone call to say they were ready, I rang GTR to ask that they rebook me in for an eye test again. This was on Friday and I was rebooked in for yesterday- with glasses, I passed the eye exam which is fortunate because I'd already handed in my notice at my current job, on the basis that I'd pass the medical without any problems! I took a gamble and it paid off- it was a brave thing to do, considering I've been with my current employer for over 9 years now!

I received my contract and other paperwork yesterday. I completed all of this and emailed scanned copies back, as well as posting the hard copies via Special Delivery today, so GTR will have these tomorrow.

Amongst the forms were uniform, shoe and bag order forms. I'm not sure how quickly they get your uniform for you but I would guess I'll have it all next week because it's likely to be all stock stuff.

From previous posts, it seems that the first 4 days of training is in Kentish Town with the 5th day being at Cannon Street. Travel is going to expensive from Chatham but fortunately, a local coach firm (Kings Ferry) run a commuter service and one of their routes stops right outside my house. I'll have to go out there at 06:00 and I won't be back home until just after 19:00, but the coach stops outside Cannon Street (onward journey to Kentish Town will be done on my Oyster card Mon-Thur) and it only costs around £80.00/week, compared to £200.00 plus on the train!

So, that's my story and it all started with a friend (a Southeastern driver) posting a link to the vacancy on Facebook back in September. I'm really pleased that I made it all the way and I'm really excited about my new career!

For those of you still in the application process, just keep yourself together and do your best. If you get as far as the medical, it wouldn't hurt to get an eye test beforehand. Boots are currently offering an eye test for only £10.00, using a voucher from their website.

Good luck!

Scattle

I applied for the Gillingham position (I live in Chatham) in September. I received an email quite quickly to confirm my assessment date, which I attended. If you make it to the end of the day (they send people home throughout the day), you've passed! You'll have a good idea as to whether or not you've passed the final PC-based assessment.

A few days later, I received a phone call to invite me to a DMI. Went to it, did my best and waited for my phone to ring. Ring it did, and I was invited to an MMI. Of course by now, the anticipation is getting greater and greater because by this point, the end goal is in sight and let's be honest, we all know how tricky it can be to get accepted for the role.

Another phone call to congratulate me and invite me to a medical- this was about 4 weeks ago. On the morning of my medical, I had a phone call to say that the nurse hadn't arrived for the day and that it had to be rescheduled for a week later- that was a long week!

I attended the medical and the trickiest part was the tone test- I found that I was hearing the tone but wondering whether or not it was the tone I was hearing (there's still a fair amount of background noise, despite being in the sound booth) until it went up to the next level and became clear. From then onwards, I just clicked the button as soon as I thought I could hear the tone.

As someone who hasn't worn glasses before, imagine my horror when I was told that my eyesight don't meet the required standard. My heart stopped as I couldn't believe I'd gotten all this way and now I was going to fail because of something outside of my control (I'm kicking myself for not getting an eye test as soon as I had the date for the medical).

Fortunately, I was reassured that this happens a lot and that I just needed glasses and re-sit the visual test.

I managed to get an eye appointment 3 days later and I found that I did need a small prescription. My new glasses (2 pairs!) arrived 4 days later and as soon as I got the phone call to say they were ready, I rang GTR to ask that they rebook me in for an eye test again. This was on Friday and I was rebooked in for yesterday- with glasses, I passed the eye exam which is fortunate because I'd already handed in my notice at my current job, on the basis that I'd pass the medical without any problems! I took a gamble and it paid off- it was a brave thing to do, considering I've been with my current employer for over 9 years now!

I received my contract and other paperwork yesterday. I completed all of this and emailed scanned copies back, as well as posting the hard copies via Special Delivery today, so GTR will have these tomorrow.

Amongst the forms were uniform, shoe and bag order forms. I'm not sure how quickly they get your uniform for you but I would guess I'll have it all next week because it's likely to be all stock stuff.

From previous posts, it seems that the first 4 days of training is in Kentish Town with the 5th day being at Cannon Street. Travel is going to expensive from Chatham but fortunately, a local coach firm (Kings Ferry) run a commuter service and one of their routes stops right outside my house. I'll have to go out there at 06:00 and I won't be back home until just after 19:00, but the coach stops outside Cannon Street (onward journey to Kentish Town will be done on my Oyster card Mon-Thur) and it only costs around £80.00/week, compared to £200.00 plus on the train!

So, that's my story and it all started with a friend (a Southeastern driver) posting a link to the vacancy on Facebook back in September. I'm really pleased that I made it all the way and I'm really excited about my new career!

For those of you still in the application process, just keep yourself together and do your best. If you get as far as the medical, it wouldn't hurt to get an eye test beforehand. Boots are currently offering an eye test for only £10.00, using a voucher from their website.

Good luck!
You will not recieve your Uniform until your First Friday in the induction week at the earliest.

Kev.

Good luck!

ninhog, big congrats mate. That is probably the quickest from application to contract I have heard of on these sites, so well done mate.

With reference to the sight test, can you tell me how it was conducted and what did it consist of?

ninhog

You will not recieve your Uniform until your First Friday in the induction week at the earliest.

I've not worn a uniform for almost 10 years, since I was a bus driver- I'm looking forward to getting it! How are we supposed to carry it all home?

ninhog, big congrats mate. That is probably the quickest from application to contract I have heard of on these sites, so well done mate.

Thanks!

A provisional start date of 5/12 had been mentioned from early on and they seemed keen to get me in for it.

With reference to the sight test, can you tell me how it was conducted and what did it consist of?

They get you to do a colour test, where you look at blobby circles and have to identify the number "hidden" within the image. A nearsight test is done, by holding letters a set distance from your nose and then a pretty standard eye test, where you need to read the lowest line possible. As I mentioned in my post above, I'd recommend anyone to get an eye test done before the medical if they haven't had one in the last couple of years...

Last edited:

Scattle

Apparently, you get travel on all GTR services plus Southeastern for "leisure" only...
Take a suitcase/holdal in the day it arrives to bring it all home all uniform.

Southeastern is not just free leisure travel, its Residential (too from work) aswell, as they are owned by Govia.

Last edited:

ninhog

Take a suitcase/holdal in the day it arrives to bring it all home all uniform.

Southeastern is not just free leisure travel, its Residential (too from work) aswell, as they are owned by Govia.

This is what I couldn't understand... for the assessment, we were sent a "pass" to travel on GTR services. It mentioned travel on Southern, Gatwick Express, Thameslink and Great Northern (I think) but didn't mention Southeastern. I enquired at the time and it was confirmed I couldn't use it on Southeastern.

I've been given another "pass" to cover me for training next week and again it doesn't mention Southeastern. However, I may take it to the station and double check to see if they'll let me use it...

Scattle

This is what I couldn't understand... for the assessment, we were sent a "pass" to travel on GTR services. It mentioned travel on Southern, Gatwick Express, Thameslink and Great Northern (I think) but didn't mention Southeastern. I enquired at the time and it was confirmed I couldn't use it on Southeastern.

I've been given another "pass" to cover me for training next week and again it doesn't mention Southeastern. However, I may take it to the station and double check to see if they'll let me use it...
You can definitely use Southeastern for Residential, I started on Gillingham course in October and my Staff Travel pass which i recieved on the Induction week, has Southeastern printed on it and says can be used for Residential. Alot of our class use it themselves to grt here.

ninhog

You can definitely use Southeastern for Residential, I started on Gillingham course in October and my Staff Travel pass which i recieved on the Induction week, has Southeastern printed on it and says can be used for Residential. Alot of our class use it themselves to grt here.

You're referring to the official staff pass, which I won't get until next week. I only have the authorisation letter, permitting travel on GTR services for next week. It's this letter that refers to all companies apart from Southeastern. If I can use this letter, it will save me a considerable amount of money!

Goatman

You're referring to the official staff pass, which I won't get until next week. I only have the authorisation letter, permitting travel on GTR services for next week. It's this letter that refers to all companies apart from Southeastern. If I can use this letter, it will save me a considerable amount of money!

When I did my induction I took the letter of authority and the contract with me. So when you show a member of staff at Gillingham station a letter that clearly says "Trainee Train Driver - Gillingham" they'll open the gates without question trust me! If they start asking questions just explain the situation and they'll be cool with it man

ninhog

When I did my induction I took the letter of authority and the contract with me. So when you show a member of staff at Gillingham station a letter that clearly says "Trainee Train Driver - Gillingham" they'll open the gates without question trust me! If they start asking questions just explain the situation and they'll be cool with it man

Hopefully they'll be just as cool with it at Chatham station. Only one way to find out on Monday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.