• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee drivers jobs criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1982

Hey, just a question about criteria other than no laser eye surgery and colour blindness what other things is there? I heard there is an initial assement to do what does this involve, it's always been my dream to drive trains for a living, as I'm sure it has been most others.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hey, just a question about criteria other than no laser eye surgery and colour blindness what other things is there? I heard there is an initial assement to do what does this involve, it's always been my dream to drive trains for a living, as I'm sure it has been most others.

Cheers

It's all on this part of the forum.. Enjoy using it

Danastle1992

What's the thread called please I'll read it now thanks

Start with the sticky "becoming a train driver" at the top of the thread page, then you could just go into other threads like the "freightliner graduate scheme" thread, there's a lot of info about the process in there that will help you out :)

steve1982

Start with the sticky "becoming a train driver" at the top of the thread page, then you could just go into other threads like the "freightliner graduate scheme" thread, there's a lot of info about the process in there that will help you out :)

Thanks I'll just go through them all, want to know about aptitude tests as well

Pepperami

Hello Steve, and welcome to the forums :)

You need to use your initiative sir, use the search bar, and also look at all the threads relating to the actual job itself within this specific section of the forums, pretty much EVERYTHING you might want to know is here, and a lot more interesting stuff you might not have even thought about

There are fantastic people on this site, and all are willing to help if they can, if you cannot find an answer to something not covered, or it is covered but you still have questions, just ask :)

steve1982

Hello Steve, and welcome to the forums :)

You need to use your initiative sir, use the search bar, and also look at all the threads relating to the actual job itself within this specific section of the forums, pretty much EVERYTHING you might want to know is here, and a lot more interesting stuff you might not have even thought about

There are fantastic people on this site, and all are willing to help if they can, if you cannot find an answer to something not covered, or it is covered but you still have questions, just ask :)

Thanks Pepperami I have searched through and am thank you for the welcome, are you a driver now?

TDK

Established Member
Here are some things that a potential employer looks for:

1. location, you must be within 1 hour of the depot of choice.
2. Someone who is level headed and is able to listen.
3. Someone who can concentrate on one subject without diverting their thoughts for 4 hours.
4. Someone who has spent a lot of time alone.
5. Someone who has experience of shift work.
6. Someone with their own transport depending on location.
7. Someone who has had to adhere to strict rules and regulations.
8. Someone who can learn quickly and retain knowledge.
9. Someone who has natural quick reactions.
10. Someone who is smart and professional.
11. Someone who is flexible, punctual and reliable.
12. Someone who has worked in a small team.
13. Someone who is not coloured blind, hard of hearing, mobile, does not have an illness that will effect their ability to work, does not take prescribed drugs that will effect their ability to work and is reasonably healthy.
14. Someone who knows why they want the job and has a valid reason.

Now look at the above and you will see why some professions such as Police, forces, emergency service people, engineers, long distant lorry drivers, bus drivers etc. have a good shout for the role as a trainee driver!

If you fit all these and know your stuff you will stand a good chance of getting to the final stages of the recruitment process. Obviously you will most likely not have all these qualities but having the majority is a great help.

Pepperami

No I'm not a driver yet, I start my training in February so have a long way to go, but looking forwards to it very much

As TDK said above thats a good list of what they are looking for, so good luck in your quest!

Status
Not open for further replies.