• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Bournemouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPS1550

No there will be more than 3 as you go through the real test. In addition you will get some dials with more than one number that you have to prioritise accordingly. The practice material is a good foundation to work on though.
Is there any practice material of the actual test available anywhere?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jinky

Is there any practice material of the actual test available anywhere?
the practice material they send you is all you need to be honest. it did fine for me anyway. as long as you make good use of it you should be all set for the assessments. you could probably find group bourdon tests easily enough online if you wanted to practice more of them. a few of the tests are done on a computer at the recruitment centre so you can't practice them 'exactly' how they are. but the material you have will prepare you fine. good luck

UPS1550

the practice material they send you is all you need to be honest. it did fine for me anyway. as long as you make good use of it you should be all set for the assessments. you could probably find group bourdon tests easily enough online if you wanted to practice more of them. a few of the tests are done on a computer at the recruitment centre so you can't practice them 'exactly' how they are. but the material you have will prepare you fine. good luck

Thanks, I'm practicing the GB & dials as much as possible! What was the most difficult test? The image test sounds dicey to me o_O

PickleTree

Thanks, I'm practicing the GB & dials as much as possible! What was the most difficult test? The image test sounds dicey to me o_O
I think different people struggle with different tests and I suppose that is the whole purpose of them! As harsh as it sounds you either have the aptitude to do these tests or you don’t. Personally I found the 2 hand coordination test the hardest test, but the MMI by far the hardest part I have completed so far.

UPS1550

I think different people struggle with different tests and I suppose that is the whole purpose of them! As harsh as it sounds you either have the aptitude to do these tests or you don’t. Personally I found the 2 hand coordination test the hardest test, but the MMI by far the hardest part I have completed so far.
I'm glad not doing the MMI as well, this battery of tests sounds like enough for 1 day lol

dctraindriver

Why do you think the MMI is the hardest part? Did you previously pass the MMI?
I think more people fail on the MMI than the other tests. One on one structured pressured environment where you’re asked to provide more information even though you think you can’t give no more... Peoples minds can judder and stutter.

MDCW

I think more people fail on the MMI than the other tests. One on one structured pressured environment where you’re asked to provide more information even though you think you can’t give no more... Peoples minds can judder and stutter.
Indeed! I failed on one question of my MMI last year. Hopefully I'll get my 2nd attempt in the coming weeks. Did you pass yours?

dctraindriver

Indeed! I failed on one question of my MMI last year. Hopefully I'll get my 2nd attempt in the coming weeks. Did you pass yours?
Yes thankfully, but I walked out of there literally drained and having no idea if I’d done enough. Horrific!

MDCW

Yes thankfully, but I walked out of there literally drained and having no idea if I’d done enough. Horrific!

What stage are you at now? Did you wait in a pool? One thing i'm not sure of is that if you pass, but score lower than others, do you sit in a pool whilst the higher scorers go into training?

PickleTree

I did pass my MMI thankfully but I walked out of there really not sure how it had gone! I am used to structured interviews and the types of questions you get asked but as @dctraindriver mentioned they constantly ask for more information even though you think you cant give anymore. The MMI is very focused on your psychology and how things make you feel, there is a definite feeling that they are really testing you to see if you are making the answer up on the fly!

dctraindriver

What stage are you at now? Did you wait in a pool? One thing i'm not sure of is that if you pass, but score lower than others, do you sit in a pool whilst the higher scorers go into training?
Driving. And yes I think it’s safe to say those who score higher may get preference plus of course where drivers are more needed. Those depots with a shortfall (Guildford/Waterloo mainly) will get preference more than others that are near established numbers.

MatthewLdn

How would you say the dmi compares to the mmi? I have my dmi on Wednesday, which was confirmed today, so doesn’t leave me much prep time!

UPS1550

How many lines do you need to complete for the group bourdon test? I'm averaging around 9 / 10 is that good enough?

LouG

Quick question.

Is the tests in the same order they are in stated on the practice material sent out.

Thanks

PickleTree

Quick question.

Is the tests in the same order they are in stated on the practice material sent out.

Thanks
I am not sure it works quite like that and each TOC seems to do it differently. From memory mine went:

Group Bourdon
The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)
The Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT)

PickleTree

Do they tell you how many Omissions you got? Also do u know if u got national standard or enhanced?
They don't give you any actual results, well that is how the OPC operate. I am not sure if SWR use the OPC to conduct their tests or they do it themselves.

As I was completing it for a FOC that require the enhanced pass I have passed all the tests to an enhanced standard.

Victornc

They don't give you any actual results, well that is how the OPC operate. I am not sure if SWR use the OPC to conduct their tests or they do it themselves.

As I was completing it for a FOC that require the enhanced pass I have passed all the tests to an enhanced standard.
Oh put me at ease a bit. Getting around 10/11 lines with 2/3 ommitions. I’m only practicing incase I get through to assesments. Would you advise practicing the others too?

baz962

Established Member
According to an OPC assessor I asked and driver manager's at my toc , it's the group bourdon that more people fail on.

Twotwo

According to an OPC assessor I asked and driver manager's at my toc , it's the group bourdon that more people fail on.

Yeah this usually filters out a lot of ppl. I would say this and possibly the trp part 1 (if you don't understand what u have to do then you have no chance of passing)

Nevergiveup

That’s correct they do both stages on same day which is a bit too much in my opinion
You’ll be invited back for the MMI if successful at the assessments with SWR. Unless they’ve changed it recently. I believe you do the stage one and two assessments on the same day, bar the MMI.

Jinky

personally i wouldn't say i found any particular one harder than the rest. it's probably down to the individual though. the problem is you have no frame of reference [if it's your first time doing them] so when you finish each test you really have absolutely no idea how you performed.. until they come and get you and tell you. so you have 20 minutes or so to sweat while you wait to see if you've passed each section. all i can tell you is to use the material they send you. get a good nights sleep. give yourself plenty of time to get there so your not rushing around and flustered.. you can chill in the waiting room if you're earlier. thats all i did. concentrate on the psychometric assessments ahead of you and worry about the DMI and MMI later. you'll have time to prepare for them.

LouG

Did anyone sitting tests do the written communication test? Or have they done away with it

Nevergiveup

Nope didn’t do any written communication test during paper tests and then you go on to computer tests once you passed all the paper tests. I don’t think they ask you to written communication test
Did anyone sitting tests do the written communication test? Or have they done away with it

UPS1550

Oh put me at ease a bit. Getting around 10/11 lines with 2/3 ommitions. I’m only practicing incase I get through to assesments. Would you advise practicing the others too?
Is that per sheet or all 5 sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.