• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver for Northern at Lime Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarledup

Hi Guys,

I today received email notification that I'd passed the assessment day at Doncaster and all other stages of the recruitment process for trainee train drivers at Lime Street.

However I was told that at 'unfortunately I have not been allocated a place on the course' and that my application will remain on file.

Are any other candidates in the same situation, its naturally a bit frustrating when you've passed everything only to be left in the lurch wondering if there are going to be any jobs?

Anyone had experience of this situation in the past?

All info is much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Well an internal poster has gone up at Picc today for a course starting in January for Picc, Vic, Wigan and lime street drivers so hopefully you won't have to wait that long!

Snarledup

Thanks for the response. So does being put on a waiting list usually lead to starting with northern? I just hope it's not a never ending list!

Silv1983

When Northern offered me a start date of 8th October - it was 3 weeks away not the month I needed or believed I needed to give my current employer. It turned out I was able to go sooner then a month but I did ask the question about the next intake. The answer was that nothing was concrete at this stage but successful candidates were kept in a talent pool and given first refusal when new intakes were decided. For Manchester I was told May 2013 was a possibility - but as above it appears to be a lot sooner than that.

W230

Established Member
I successfully went through all the interviews with Northern and was told I had a job but that I was entering a "talent pool" as they weren't sure when they would have a vacancy for the position i'd applied for!

They said if they didn't get a vacant position within six months then I would have to apply again.

However, they got back to me 2 months later to offer me the job - though by this point i'd accepted a driving job with another toc as they'd sent me a contract out (interestingly they did the same thing too - I passed all my assessments and then got intitially told they had no jobs!)

If you're in the "talent pool" with Northern then sit tight and hope you hear back soon. :)

Snarledup

When Northern offered me a start date of 8th October - it was 3 weeks away not the month I needed or believed I needed to give my current employer. It turned out I was able to go sooner then a month but I did ask the question about the next intake. The answer was that nothing was concrete at this stage but successful candidates were kept in a talent pool and given first refusal when new intakes were decided. For Manchester I was told May 2013 was a possibility - but as above it appears to be a lot sooner than that.

Thanks Silv. So you start on 8th October? Well done! Can I ask how long youve been waiting or how long you where in the 'talent pool'?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I successfully went through all the interviews with Northern and was told I had a job but that I was entering a "talent pool" as they weren't sure when they would have a vacancy for the position i'd applied for!

They said if they didn't get a vacant position within six months then I would have to apply again.

However, they got back to me 2 months later to offer me the job - though by this point i'd accepted a driving job with another toc as they'd sent me a contract out (interestingly they did the same thing too - I passed all my assessments and then got intitially told they had no jobs!)

If you're in the "talent pool" with Northern then sit tight and hope you hear back soon. :)

Thanks for your comment.

Well there does seem to be a good chance of a course in January judging by above comments. I'll sit tight and hope for some information soon!

Would be interesting to see if anyone is currently in the same boat as me!

Did you apply for a job at another toc based on your pass at Doncaster assessment day which was originally for Northern?

Silv1983

I applied on the 10th May this year. 3 days after completing my assessment day at DB Shenker on 11th September - I got the offer. No waiting about, straight in. Quite fortunate! They must have Piccadilly vacancies coming up because the other candidates and I for the May adverts were moved over to start at Victoria due to driver shortages - which means logically thinking they still now need to fill spots at Picc.

jadam35

Just to add to this, I would'nt take the six months rule as set in stone.
I applied for a position in January and was kept in the talent pool for "6 months". I was contacted 8 months later and have now progressed further. Been informed I have been successful. It really is a case of sit tight and be patient...

TDK

Established Member
This happens on a regular basis, say a company needs 10 people and 20 pass the tests the top 10 candidates taking into account their assessment results and interview points will get the positions.

W230

Established Member
Did you apply for a job at another toc based on your pass at Doncaster assessment day which was originally for Northern?
No mine was the other way round. I passed an assessment for a southern based TOC in January but had just recently put an application in with Northern. As they don't do quite the same assessments I had to go to Doncaster and sit the mechanical comprehension test only (I had to do the SCAAT and DFFT test down south - Northern didn't do those assessments).

There were four of us at Doncaster. I later heard that two failed the tests and the other passed and started with Northern in May. As I only had to take one test they generously did that one first, told me i'd passed and then sent me home.

A couple of weeks later they told me i'd been successful but that I was entering the 'talent pool'. By this point i'd been sent a contract by the southern based toc and my gf had been offered a better job in London. That was the decider really - I would have probably gone to Northern otherwise.

Snarledup

Thanks for all the posts :D
I will wait out and be patient as from above this is clearly something that happens a lot.

Geeves

Established Member
In addition to the Vacancies at Picc, Vic and Wigan, openings have also been advertised internally for Liverpool, Barrow, Leeds, Skipton Hull and Sheffield.

Also there has been some what of a mass exodus at Vic in the last few months with about 10 or more jobs now empty due to transfers and what not.

January 14th for West side and about a week later for east side trainees are the next dates stated on the internal lists

Good luck yall!

Oh and by the way HR are just as terrible for internal job hunters as external. The benefits of being on the inside really dont count for much!

Beveridges

Established Member
You get a lot of benefits of being on the inside-
1) you don't have to wait 6 months after a failed application to reapply
2) you can apply for as many jobs at the same time as you want
3) the internal app form is easier to fill in than the external
4) much increased chance of an interview
5) your much more likely to know someone who has done the tests or interview within the last month or so who can tell you what's on them
6) you dont have to sit that stupid online personality test
7) you can apply for jobs that are advertised Internal Only and be competing against about 10 instead of 500 plus
8) vacancies are given 2 week before a closing date while external can be 2 days so you could easily miss them!!
9) access to the intranet which details the companies scoring system for application forms and interviews
10) railway experience, although nowadays many external applicants also have a lot of railway experience, some are clueless
11) the interview question" what do you know about northern " is just free points if you already work there
12) dont know about anyone else but when doing the interview wearing the corporate uniform made me feel better than when I was an external wearing a suit

I might be slightly biased because I got my job through being an internal applicant but the above facts remain

Last edited:

Silv1983

You get a lot of benefits of being on the inside-
1) you don't have to wait 6 months after a failed application to reapply
2) you can apply for as many jobs at the same time as you want
3) the internal app form is easier to fill in than the external
4) much increased chance of an interview
5) your much more likely to know someone who has done the tests or interview within the last month or so who can tell you what's on them
6) you dont have to sit that stupid online personality test
7) you can apply for jobs that are advertised Internal Only and be competing against about 10 instead of 500 plus
8) vacancies are given 2 week before a closing date while external can be 2 days so you could easily miss them!!
9) access to the intranet which details the companies scoring system for application forms and interviews
10) railway experience, although nowadays many external applicants also have a lot of railway experience, some are clueless
11) the interview question" what do you know about northern " is just free points if you already work there
12) dont know about anyone else but when doing the interview wearing the corporate uniform made me feel better than when I was an external wearing a suit

I might be slightly biased because I got my job through being an internal applicant but the above facts remain

There are some pros - but not as many as that!
It takes 10 minutes to read up and learn about Northern - not that much of an extra chore. And getting told whats in the interviews etc by your mates might tip the balance for some; but if you've not got the examples or aren't very confident and good in your delivery - it won't matter.
Also, regarding outsiders being clueless to the railways: as far as I remember not once at any stage of the recruitment process was my knowledge of the railways called into question. They're more interested in core competencies and potential/ability. There is no personality test anymore.
As for the corporate uniform: you might be the exception because at my assessment day, out of 4 of us - 3 external suited and booted and 1 internal in uniform - and guess which 1 of the 4 went home early ;)

Last observation.. point 4) is unsuprising considering point 7) :lol:

Geeves

Established Member
Yes ok there are a few good points but then again once you are on the inside they have already had to pay to train you up once or even twice in some cases. Then even if you are successful jumping through all the hoops your manager might well turn around and say you cannot be released as they have to wait for someone to replace you in the links... which is happening at our place right now!

All the information regarding the recruitment process is available via the search function on this website alone

Im not complaining anyway I love working on the railway, even if I'm not successful Ill still be happy.

As for knowledge of trains we were told to keep quiet about that, cant say coming across as a crank on your interview is the best, but its alright when your in :lol:

Beveridges

Established Member
Management can't stop you leaving your job to move on to another job. They can delay it by a few months if they are being arseholes.

Snarledup

Hi guys,

I'm still waiting in the talent pool for the trainee driver job! I haven't seen on this forum that anyone has been offered a start date for the January course. So my morale is still high.

It does get a bit tiring waiting though! But I will remain patient.

Is there anyone else, internal or external, still waiting to hear about starting on the trainee drivers course in January?

Thanks

1Paul1

Anyone recieved an invite to attend an interview yet? It's like waiting for paint to dry, although paint drys a lot faster. :|

Snarledup

Hi Paul,

I had the assessments back in September mate so I've passed all stages bar references and Medical. Just waiting for that phone call and a start date.

If you are still waiting you could always give them a call. Good luck to you my friend

1Paul1

Hi Paul,

I had the assessments back in September mate so I've passed all stages bar references and Medical. Just waiting for that phone call and a start date.

If you are still waiting you could always give them a call. Good luck to you my friend

Cheers for the reply mate. I applied for the vaccancies advertised in October so the trawl after when you must of applied. Big congrats to your progress, well done. :)

Snarledup

Northern rang me at the end of last week to offer me the job! So I'll be a trainee train driver on 14th January :).

I've seriously never been so happy about a job and want to say a big thanks to this forum and particularly the responses given to this thread.

Guys if anyone wants any information or advice please ask and I'll be more than willing to help.

There is hope, don't give up, if I can do it so can you :D

Skinner

Northern rang me at the end of last week to offer me the job! So I'll be a trainee train driver on 14th January :).

I've seriously never been so happy about a job and want to say a big thanks to this forum and particularly the responses given to this thread.

Guys if anyone wants any information or advice please ask and I'll be more than willing to help.

There is hope, don't give up, if I can do it so can you :D
Congratulations mate. Hope it all goes well for you. It's been a long wait.

I have recently applied for Northern and passed everything just waiting to see if I have been allocated a place or not. I passed the assessment privately at DBS back in November.
The wait is painful but hopefully no news is good news!
Think time of year does not help mind.

Snarledup

Congratulations mate. Hope it all goes well for you. It's been a long wait.

I have recently applied for Northern and passed everything just waiting to see if I have been allocated a place or not. I passed the assessment privately at DBS back in November.
The wait is painful but hopefully no news is good news!
Think time of year does not help mind.

Thanks Skinner. So you've passed everything, are you in the 'talent pool'?

If what I see on this forum is right Northern are recruiting something like 95 drivers in 2013 so it looks good for you.

Skinner

Thanks Skinner. So you've passed everything, are you in the 'talent pool'?

If what I see on this forum is right Northern are recruiting something like 95 drivers in 2013 so it looks good for you.
I had interview on 30th November for position in Leeds.
They sent for me to go do the assessment and had to remind them that I passed it privately. Not in a talent pool just gone through the process. Job was advertised on the 16th October.
Just waiting to see if it's good news but looks good as you say if they are recruiting a lot of drivers.
I have heard that they need at least 15 drivers at Leeds! Don't know how true this figure is?
Good thing as well is that I only live 20 mins from depot which must be a bonus too.
Been told there is two training courses at moment. One at end of Jan and other sometime in Feb.
Fingers crossed!

Snarledup

From what I've seen on this forum applicants generally experience frustration with the HR of most TOC's.

Getting information from them has been like getting blood out of a stone at times. I'm not complaining though, the ladies in HR where always nice and polite even if they weren't willing/able to give me any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.