• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Heathrow Express (Talent Pool) 08/07/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Single line working during a disruptive scenario - for instance some degraded working in the tunnels.

Think there’s some confusion about what is meant by “Mainline course”; evidently some bits will be shorter than others due to running on a specific route only and aspects are not relevant to a HeX driver that doesn’t go further than West Drayton (Units from Reading driven ECS being taken by Reading Drivers). But otherwise it’s a standard course to my knowledge.

Yes single line working will be included but working a single line (I.e with a token on the Marlow/Bourne End Branch) was to be left out as obviously it has no relevance for HeX drivers

T-Karmel

Does anyone know if HEX Staff get a London weighting on their salary?
If you're asking about HEX staff then no. If you're asking about GWR drivers driving HEX then also no. If you're asking about GWR staff serving HEX platforms then I'm not sure but I think it's also a No, however they are on higher salaries than GWR staff in Paddington.

Lewis5949

If you're asking about HEX staff then no. If you're asking about GWR drivers driving HEX then also no. If you're asking about GWR staff serving HEX platforms then I'm not sure but I think it's also a No, however they are on higher salaries than GWR staff in Paddington.
Well that's a bit ****.

REO Nate

Thank you! Not sure if I’m surprised or not.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Does anyone know if HEX Staff get a London weighting on their salary?

I don't think they do because its somewhat built in - much like how many TfL staff don't have a London Allowance, because the salary is already higher anyway.

REO Nate

GWR drivers operating HEX services are £55k

GWR drivers from places like Carmarthen or Penzance are over £60k.

I don't think they do because its somewhat built in - much like how many TfL staff don't have a London Allowance, because the salary is already higher anyway.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
GWR drivers operating HEX services are £55k

GWR drivers from places like Carmarthen or Penzance are over £60k.

Perhaps they get less for the presumed reduced complexity of the route? ETCS is more complex to learn as a driver, but overall there is likely to be less required.

HEX also used to be separate to GWR, so there's probably some historical elements there.

RedPostJunc

The rules part is the same as other driving roles but the handling is much shorter as it’s only a 20min route with 1 traction .. I think around 80-100 hours against 250 for the GWR mainline roles.
At the end of the day's service, one unit pair runs ECS to Reading Traincare Depot for maintenance. There is a balancing Reading TCD - Paddington ECS working before the start of the service. Are GWR Reading drivers used for these workings?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
At the end of the day's service, one unit pair runs ECS to Reading Traincare Depot for maintenance. There is a balancing Reading TCD - Paddington ECS working before the start of the service. Are GWR Reading drivers used for these workings?

Yes, Reading depot. The other sets stable in the platform at Paddington, and others to West Ealing sidings.

T-Karmel

HEX also used to be separate to GWR, so there's probably some historical elements there.
That's correct, employees were TUPEd over so they're on their previous HEX salaries and T&Cs, which were never including any allowances but were already higher than GWR staff.
Are GWR Reading drivers used for these workings?
I just second what Horizon22 said, it is indeed covered by Reading. HEX drivers do not go west of Hayes in other direction than Heathrow, they can however go to West Ealing sidings.

And let's be honest, £55k for the work load they do in comparison to £62k for what any other GWR driver does is pretty much good.

REO Nate

And let's be honest, £55k for the work load they do in comparison to £62k for what any other GWR driver does is pretty much good.

I wholeheartedly agree.

However, the price of rent and living within the required commuting time is insane by comparison with some GWR depots.

Wasn’t complaining, just wondered if there was a weighting allowance.

_ollie_

I just second what Horizon22 said, it is indeed covered by Reading.
Generally speaking, there are 2 moves from Paddington to Reading TCD in the evening and 2 back in the morning. Reading and Paddington (GWR) drivers cover these ECS moves.

JackO2034

Hello Team,

Thought I would jump into this forum.

I’ve applied for this role, be good to keep in contact with others that have too. Feel like we may be in for a long journey!

dommo88

If unsuccessful for this role does this count as one of your lives? I’m assuming no as I didn’t take any formal assessments but would just like to check!

Status
Not open for further replies.