• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanka

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....se-terminated-three-years-early-virgin-trains

Thoughts on this anyone? I guess Azumas will still need drivers but things not looking all that promising for those of us still waiting.

Probably won't affect the trainee driver intake, fact is they still have the need for all the trainees that they have on hold. Simply don't have the capacity to train that number up simultanelously, they are seriously struggling for driver trainers in the depots and the trainers they do have always have a newbie riding out with them. The inability of Stagecoach/Virgin to run a profitable franchise doesn't change the material need for new drivers to fill the growing gaps in the ranks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....se-terminated-three-years-early-virgin-trains

Thoughts on this anyone? I guess Azumas will still need drivers but things not looking all that promising for those of us still waiting.

Do you ever get the impression that something isn't meant to be? That's how I feel at the moment lol.
At the end of the day 2020 is still a long time away and I imagine they'll still have franchise commitments to deliver until then - i.e. the Azuma and the timetable enhancements from 2019.
I'm crossing my fingers and toes we're still needed and if not I imagine we'd hear back sooner rather than later if we weren't required anymore.

BELLIE

Heard on the news this morning the east coast franchise is to be handed back to the government. What does this mean for us?

SPADTrap

Established Member
I've just heard no trainees until 2019 at least. Anyone heard anything further? This is from driver friends at King's Cross.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I've just heard no trainees until 2019 at least. Anyone heard anything further? This is from driver friends at King's Cross.

2year wait in the pool ? Do psychometrics validities expire if you've already been offered a job ?

Will they recruit qualifieds from other TOCs in the time before 2019.

Sirgerbil

This thread about to go into overdrive after that post!

I’ve not heard anything personally, all the current trainees out doing handling will be done in the first half of next year. That’s about 30 current trainees.

I believe the company is gonna start training for the IEPs come June/July so maybe that’s why?

Personally I’d wait to hear more from HR, but I’ll keep my ears to the ground around depot and update if I do hear anything!

FManc

I think most of us waiting have deserted this thread as the rumour mill is rife and until we have confirmation from HR all we can do is speculate.
I've personally put it all to the back of my mind now and I guess a part of me has accepted that there is the possibility nothing will come from it.

SPADTrap

Established Member
This thread about to go into overdrive after that post!

Apologies, that wasn't my intention but upon reflection my post was ill-thought. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard similar.

Best of luck to those still waiting for news.

xtradj

Wouldn’t listen to rumours. I’m quite sure it’s untrue. However it’s ambiguous statement. No trainees until 2019 could mean anything. It could simply mean they won’t advertise for trainees until then. However I’m guessing your assuming it means no trainee courses until 2019?. I’d be surprised if drivers were told this before applicants. And from the information I have nothing has changed. Courses will be allocated from March 18.

FManc

Wouldn’t listen to rumours. I’m quite sure it’s untrue. However it’s ambiguous statement. No trainees until 2019 could mean anything. It could simply mean they won’t advertise for trainees until then. However I’m guessing your assuming it means no trainee courses until 2019?. I’d be surprised if drivers were told this before applicants. And from the information I have nothing has changed. Courses will be allocated from March 18.

The last correspondence we had said we'd be given course dates within 6 months which was at the end of October. This would roughly take us up to the end of April. March '18 would definetly be a godsend and it would certainly do my sanity some good! Lol.

FManc

Did everyone just get an email update?
Our current contact is off on maternity so just supplying us with new contact details. Also current timescales are the same - I imagine this means finding out our start dates by April. Also reaffirmed us that they're still absolutely committed to us starting.

Duns2208

Did everyone just get an email update?
Our current contact is off on maternity so just supplying us with new contact details. Also current timescales are the same - I imagine this means finding out our start dates by April. Also reaffirmed us that they're still absolutely committed to us starting.

Just got the same, feels positive, the news about the franchise ending early is out there now and this is the first email from Virgin since to state they remain committed to the earlier confirmation we've had. And before all the doom and gloom brigade start.....yes I know it's not a contract yet but it's good news. We'll get there people :)

heedfan

Yes just picked up the same email. Feels positive but time will tell! Hope you are all coping with the wait well.

Sirgerbil

Good to hear you guys have got contact from VTEC again.

Some news from the inside - The next 3 courses are planned for Ex-Toc applicants so qualified drivers from other companies. One started this week.

FManc

Some news from the inside - The next 3 courses are planned for Ex-Toc applicants so qualified drivers from other companies. One started this week.

Ah cheers for the info. So I take it these courses haven't started yet?

Yorks12

Don’t suppose you know anything about Train Manager courses at all? I am currently waiting for a start date for Doncaster but know there was a course at the end of November. Had an email before Christmas to say there had been some changes to the training schedule and that they would be intouch in the New Year but just wondering if you might have any insider info. Cheers!

xtradj

Don’t suppose you know anything about Train Manager courses at all? I am currently waiting for a start date for Doncaster but know there was a course at the end of November. Had an email before Christmas to say there had been some changes to the training schedule and that they would be intouch in the New Year but just wondering if you might have any insider info. Cheers!

I think they are waiting for more training staff

FManc

Has anyone had any further update? Or information anyone’s heard cheers.

Nope nothing sadly. I'm finding the wait quite torturous at the moment!

I have read that some of the timetable enhancements might have to get pushed back to 2021. On the flip side, VTEC have still got a set number of Azumas on order/being introduced and I imagine this is set in stone.

Ffcsteve14

Nope nothing sadly. I'm finding the wait quite torturous at the moment!

I have read that some of the timetable enhancements might have to get pushed back to 2021. On the flip side, VTEC have still got a set number of Azumas on order/being introduced and I imagine this is set in stone.

What do you think that would mean in terms of training dates etc?? Pushed back??

FManc

What do you think that would mean in terms of training dates etc?? Pushed back??

To be honest I haven't a clue. I've given up trying to second guess what's going on o_O Until VTEC/DfT negotiate the terms of the current franchise it's all up in the air.
2021 is technically when a new operator will be in place (IF things go to plan).
It might not affect us at all or it might push us even further back i.e. 2019/2020 start. Who knows!

Chris Grayling just announced the franchise is effectively over very soon. Uncertain times ahead.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
If I were in this position I would seriously start emailing over toc's to get on mailing lists.

All that virgin razzle dazzle and "talent team" speak of keeping you dangling is more than likely keeping you from a job.

With them losing money hand over fist I would wager that the entire recruitment of externals is now dead in the water.

I could be wrong, but stagecoach being unable to continue with the franchise due to financial issues surely kiboshes any ideas of spending millions on training newbies.

Been following this thread for a while now. Not looking good at all is it. The wait over the last 12 months has been agonising. Never had so much passion and excitement to start a job, not a day passes without me checking my emails hoping and praying for good news, I just want to start tomorrow. Absolutely gutted is an understatement!

LETHLFH

Nobody actually knows what is going on. It is unlikely the recruitment team will be even be fully aware due to circumstances beyond their control. I would just sit back ignore speculation and hope for the best but try to be prepared for the worst. There is no point in getting upset or second guessing what may happen. Whatever will be, will be.

irish_rail

Established Member
Think people are worrying over nothing here. The dft will still require the necessary number of drivers to be recruited to take into account training for new trains / retirements / new services.
Just because it may not be Virgin run the jobs will remain and it is premature to give up hope. Trains need drivers no matter who operates a franchise be it the government or a private operator .

dctraindriver

Just remember people were waiting for start dates when South West Trains lost the franchise and were uncertain. I know a few who have since started as trainee drivers under South Western Railway so hang on in there.

Some depots are now oversubscribed, and with the new trains being delayed due to the infrastructure not being upgraded on time, recruitment at certain depots has been put on hold for the foreseeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.