• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC123

Hmm I haven't worked a Sunday in over 2 years. Is it easy to swap shifts?

Swapping shifts on the same day is easy enough. Getting someone who's on a RD to come in and cover your Sunday shift is pretty much impossible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

teslatech

They mention on their site that they are happy to take on people who are willing to relocate. So go for it!
Had a talk with the wife and relocation just isn't right for us. Was tempted. Still my original point is that surely recruitment in their first sift of applicants favour anyone already close. So people like myself are disadvantaged from the get go.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Apples&Pears

Hello all

Haven't been on here for a long time after dipping the process for LOROL (damn the Group Bourdon). However this advert was sent on to me from a driver friend and I have thrown my hat into the ring.

Good luck everyone.

Apples&Pears

ed c

Hi all,

I am thinking of applying for this role, could any Drivers out there say what the working day is like, how long is a shift and do you have a set break after driving for so long?

Regards

Ed

Sirgerbil

Hi all,

I am thinking of applying for this role, could any Drivers out there say what the working day is like, how long is a shift and do you have a set break after driving for so long?

Regards

Ed

I'd be interested in hearing this sort of information to. I'd be looking at KX depot so would love to hear an average job i.e change over points etc.

xtradj

I am very keen to apply. However would the issue that I need to relocate give me less of a chance of being successful?. I am more than willing to relocate of course.

Also would anyone in the know be able to let me know what key words and phrases they are looking for in reasons why you want to work for virgin and why you want to be a trainee?

Many Thanks

Andy-mc

For those wondering what a working day would be like it's hard to say unless an east coast driver posts a reply as every company and depot is different. But just expect to work a variety shifts, although Sunday's can be different on the timetable, there is no such thing as a weekend on the railway so just look at it as you having at least 3 days off a week (as I believe virgin are on a 4 day week) as for hours these are usually averaged at 35 a week with no shift being long being longer than 11
There's a lot more info on this throughout this forum as well

For those worried about relocation admitedly I reckon (and this is just a guess) they will favour people already in situe, but as others have said you have a better chance at getting it than someone who hasn't even applied, and with this sort of thing it is best not to get your hopes up. so then if your not successful it's just a case of better luck next time, and if you are then it's cause for celebration

To those looking to know what to say, I believe it's best just to be honest and say why you want the job And don't just say what you think they want to hear as they'll probably be able to see straight through it, they are more likely to get an idea of what type of person you are as well

Last edited:

Charl1e2

I reckon as they are considering people who will relocate you have a chance.

Some companies won't even consider you if you're more than 45 -60 minutes away.

For those wondering what a working day would be like it's hard to say unless an east coast driver posts a reply as every company and depot is different. But just expect to work a variety shifts, although Sunday's can be different on the timetable, there is no such thing as a weekend on the railway so just look at it as you having at least 3 days off a week (as I believe virgin are on a 4 day week) as for hours these are usually averaged at 35 a week with no shift being long being longer than 11
There's a lot more info on this throughout this forum as well

For those worried about relocation admitedly I reckon (and this is just a guess) they will favour people already in situe, but as others have said you have a better chance at getting it than someone who hasn't even applied, and with this sort of thing it is best not to get your hopes up. so then if your not successful it's just a case of better luck next time, and if you are then it's cause for celebration

To those looking to know what to say, I believe it's best just to be honest and say why you want the job And don't just say what you think they want to hear as they'll probably be able to see straight through it, they are more likely to get an idea of what type of person you are as well

They don't have a 4 day week

Bucko

If you're sat in a talent pool for another TOC for the past year, would it affect anything if you apply for this?

Also, would I need to sit the whole process again or does my 'pass' for a previous TOC count ?

CaseyJones

Just sent my application off now. Might of went over tad with the word limit on my cover letter. Can't wait to play Lego with Richard Branson in my assessment :lol::lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you're sat in a talent pool for another TOC for the past year, would it affect anything if you apply for this?

Also, would I need to sit the whole process again or does my 'pass' for a previous TOC count ?

I've also passed all assessments with another TOC (apparently above national standard ;)) up until DMI. Not too sure with Virgin Trains can't imagine it being too different.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just sent mine off too now, don't really rate my chances at all, but as people have said, they're better than the chances I would have if I didn't apply!

I tried to stick to the word limit, I was concerned that they might use that as an easy way to sift out people, as the job is largely about following instructions/procedures etc?

Ah well it is what it is eh!

TRain87

I tried to stick to the word limit, I was concerned that they might use that as an easy way to sift out people, as the job is largely about following instructions/procedures etc?

I'm sure I read on another thread that this is exactly what they do!

SPADTrap

Established Member
Also would anyone in the know be able to let me know what key words and phrases they are looking for in reasons why you want to work for virgin and why you want to be a trainee?

Many Thanks

Want them to do the job for you as well... ?

That's got to come from you..

chrisdmadd

Might of went over tad with the word limit on my cover letter. Can't wait to play Lego with Richard Branson in my assessment

You clearly can't follow simple instructions so maybe go and buy a box of lego from Tesco instead.

You should know how many people apply for these jobs and the simplest of ways to eliminate a large chunk is to have an initial sift for things like spelling and for those who havent read the application and responded accordingly.

tlionhart

You clearly can't follow simple instructions so maybe go and buy a box of lego from Tesco instead.

You should know how many people apply for these jobs and the simplest of ways to eliminate a large chunk is to have an initial sift for things like spelling and for those who havent read the application and responded accordingly.

It's the same with coloured pens. If it says "please write in capitals using black ink" it means it...

Dave1987

On Moderation

Yup, and when I applied for a driver job years ago when it was all done on paper they could eliminate hundreds of applications from the initial sift simply because people had spent 5 minutes doing them and they looked scruffy. Many many applications were rejected without the HR bods even reading them because they weren't neat and tidy.

CaseyJones

Shall I go for the Lego Millennium Falcon or maybe something a bit more original? Lego train set? Hope I can follow the simple assembly instructions! :roll:

EC123

Rosters are depot dependent, and what link you are in for said depot. All depots vary quite a fair amount

Atishyou

What he said. We got the worst of both worlds at the moment. We got all the Virgin corporate bulls**t rammed down our throats at every opportunity while in the background Stagecoach are trying to screw us over. I've heard being able to play with Lego is one of the skills they're looking for if anyone makes it to an assessment day.

I'm sure many freight drivers would take that and job security any day.

If it's that bad for you, leave.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've put my application in - I won't be too disappointed if I don't get through, however.

Why bother applying then if you're not that bothered?

Bucko

To all those who've applied....

have you had any response yet? ( Im aware that closing date isnt here yet )

just wondered if anyone had a reply

Scuba2208

Applied early hours of this morning and no reply as yet. I suspect no replies will be forthcoming until the closing date...

I took it that the word limit on cover letter only related to the 2 questions? The introduction and salutation etc wasn't included in word count?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.