• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's think timescales here now then.

Assuming the last tests are sent out tomorrow (10th) with the usual five day window this would mean the "talent team" have a complete batch of data, and if the data is the only selection criteria at this stage then an email out on the 16th with invites to Virgin Assessment days should be a simple enough procedure.

However, at the moment they are making the simple seem quite tricky. Next assessment day was scheduled to be the 29th. TOC's do have a habit of leaving invites to assessments (and actual job start dates) really late, possibly in some bizarre test of your commitment to the role.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brian88

1 wrong 1 timed out, hmmm. I couldnt even get that on the practice test. Think the best I got was 2 wrong and 3 missed.

Anybody know when roughly the training might start? Im guessing it will be around summer 17

1 wrong 1 timed out, hmmm. I couldnt even get that on the practice test. Think the best I got was 2 wrong and 3 missed.

Anybody know when roughly the training might start? Im guessing it will be around summer 17

Same here, anyone scoring over 20 has done exceptional I reckon.

As for training. Once the Virgin assessment days (DMI etc) is done, they said that was by end of January it's then a case of them booking the OPC and putting everyone through the psychometrics. So summer 2017 seems a reasonable estimate.

Superflyguy

Morning hopefuls!

Regarding psychometric testing. Would anyone with experience of these care to share their experiences?

Cheers

:roll:

Hopeful2015

No problem. There really isn't much more you can practise. A lot of people I know who passed them reckon playing Xbox helped them out. Hand eye coordination.

Sirgerbil

Morning hopefuls!

Regarding psychometric testing. Would anyone with experience of these care to share their experiences?

Cheers

:roll:

A forum search will provide you with everything you need regarding psychometric testing. There's loads of threads on the different tests.

train_lover

I've been through this process 3 times with other companies. 2 of which I got to the medical stage. My advice to the people who are talking about psychometric tests is to simply to focus on where you are in the process. There's no point in thinking about the next stage before you are even there. Take one step at a time! As for those who keep saying how long it's taken for VTEC to get back need to understand that this is how the railway works. It took me 23 months with a FOC from applying to get to the offer stage.

Superflyguy

Many thanks for the above guys, much appreciated!

I've been in aviation for 24 years (47), and am thinking of making a career switch.

Although I'm not experienced in the rail industry, I'm passionate about high safety standards and getting a customer from A-B safely.

I hope this will be the perfect opportunity.

Many hurdles to jump yet though!!!
Good luck everyone:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Train Lover, I echo your thoughts but I am guilty of getting over anxious sometimes!!
My bad?! Lol

train_lover

Many thanks for the above guys, much appreciated!

I've been in aviation for 24 years (47), and am thinking of making a career switch.

Although I'm not experienced in the rail industry, I'm passionate about high safety standards and getting a customer from A-B safely.

I hope this will be the perfect opportunity.

Many hurdles to jump yet though!!!
Good luck everyone:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Train Lover, I echo your thoughts but I am guilty of getting over anxious sometimes!!
My bad?! Lol

Sometimes you've just got to keep your feet on the ground !

edirail

Me neither. Applied on the 9th for Edinburgh.
I already have a pass for the psychometric test with scotrail and currently on their reserve list.

Maybe

Just completed the online verify checking test. Only had one go at the practise as having completed it before repeatedly doing the practice never did anything for me.

Anyway I know for a fact I timed out on two questions on the final stage, was at the point of clicking my selection but just timed out.

Anyhow, what is done is done.

Would be interesting to see how they collate the results, for example when I completed the reaction test when going through the recruitment with FGW with the pedals and colours etc, I am sure it was counted against you for selecting wrong answers as opposed to timing out etc. That might be in my head Im not sure.

Anyway I wish everyone the best of luck in their application and should I recieve any further feedback will post on here.

Ashxmufcx

Has everyone's online assessment been the same and has anyone received a response if they have passed?

bagazon

Easy guys,
It is just to increase your adrenaline!
I am in the same boat, checking emails every minute for some news!
Very far from DMI .. ,not to mention how I found that online test!
Difficult!

amandariot92

Hi, did you email SHL about this second test or did it automatically come through after your first test? i have been given the same test you took, 19mins and 2mins? Also for those still holding out, hang in there, my emails were posted yesterday, AND i received a dear john letter with my discount, followed 15minutes later with an apology, the acceptance speech and SHL email link etc

never mind, just logged in and took checking test, not the 19min test that previously came up, good luck all (after me), you will be pleased to know i got a little bit trigger happy on test and definitely clicked a few i shouldn't have not including the timed out ones

Hey I completed both. I didn't contact them tbh. SHL sent me an assessment after virgin sent their email. I had 5 days to take it. They sent me a reminder email on the 4th day. So I clicked the first email and took the test with the paragraphs with true false or can not say. I thought that was it till the guys on here said it was the wrong one so I went to the reminder email and clicked the link there and it took me to the 5 rounds of 5 questions and completed that one. Not heard back yet. But I don't think I passed. The first test I got 11 right out of 30 and 5/6 wrong on the checking test.

Good everyone. Hang in there.

Last edited:

Ashxmufcx

Has everyone's online assessment been the same and has anyone received a response if they have passed?

Swampster

Yeah I think everyone's online test was the same (other than one or two who have been given different tests due to a glitch apparently... but the all ended up doing the checking test).

It seems there's now at least 2 people on here that have heard they're through to the next stage..

stjimmy87

So after no reply I emailed the recruitment people and got a reply saying they didn't have my application!!! Thankfully they emailed me back asking me to try again and they now have it so should hear by tomorrow or in their words "in 24 hours"...

The wait goes on

Sugarpuff

So after no reply I emailed the recruitment people and got a reply saying they didn't have my application!!! Thankfully they emailed me back asking me to try again and they now have it so should hear by tomorrow or in their words "in 24 hours"...

The wait goes on
Think I'll have to do the same

Baldwin207

The wait goes on

Think i may do this as i haven't heard yet

Coddy1983

Hi guys, I also applied on the 12th of Oct and had no response, I emailed recruitment yesterday and they also had no record of mine, so sent again and also been told I'll here in the next 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.