• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffcsteve14

Great !! Thanks a lot. So I'm
Guessing after the year mark we go up to £37k then stay on that for another year which will take us to the 2 year point and full pay.

From what I remember the 37K is after the first exam and as stated the pay increase is after successful completion of that exam. Not sure how long till you are driver pay. Would assume once training completed and on your own. So year?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Davidson4301

From what I remember the 37K is after the first exam and as stated the pay increase is after successful completion of that exam. Not sure how long till you are driver pay. Would assume once training completed and on your own. So year?

Ah right , so are the exams at the 20 week point? I always thought it took 2 years to become a "qualified" driver and get the top whack even though we will be on our own from 1 year point. ?

That's still pretty decent
1st 5-6 month £26k per annum
After passing exams £37k (hopefully around the 6 month mark ) up untill qualified around 2 year point then £58k

Last edited:

Ffcsteve14

Ah right , so are the exams at the 20 week point? I always thought it took 2 years to become a "qualified" driver and get the top whack even though we will be on our own from 1 year point. ?

That's still pretty decent
1st 5-6 month £26k per annum
After passing exams £37k (hopefully around the 6 month mark ) up untill qualified around 2 year point then £58k

Not sure at what point you really classified as qualified. Again I would assume that once you are out driving your train on your own you are qualified?!?!

Davidson4301

Not sure at what point you really classified as qualified. Again I would assume that once you are out driving your train on your own you are qualified?!?!

I'm pretty sure the standard time for "qualified " pay is 2 years. I may be wrong like. I quite often am. Hopefully a driver can clear this up. I drive metros in Newcastle and it's 2 years for us anyway but as I say I'm just guessing .

Sirgerbil

I expect once you get your driving hours in and have your final assessment you are qualified and will receive full pay. I'd expect around 11-12 months

TJ123

Seems sort of similar at my current TOC. You're on trainee drivers wage until you complete all training, rules, traction, practical train handling and final assessments this generally takes between 9-12 months. Once you have finished all your training and have your licence you will be NQD year 1 (Newly Qualified Driver Year 1), this is where you get your pay rise which is slightly less then the full drivers wage, you stay on that wage for 12 months. Once you past out you have to do a number of turns on your core route before you can sign other routes and diversions etc. Once you done your 12 months you then go to full drivers wage but we be known as NQD year 2. Hopefully after NQD2 you would of signed your core routes and other routes for your depot, going into year 3 as a qualified driver.

Basically you're qualified once you pass your final assessment, have your licence and driving on your own. That time will fly by.

Last edited:

danyurl

Thanks for posting that Sirgerbil!

I have a feeling I've previously read somewhere that it takes around 2 years to be on the full drivers wage? Not sure where or when I read that mind. Hopefully a current driver can confirm.

KOA

Ok, I'm posting what I think people are going to want to know, anything else you'll have to ask.

Salary

Trainee Train Driver - £26,200
Trainee Train Driver, After completing Traction/Handing/Rules exam - £35,970
Driver Grade - £58,277
King's Cross Drivers - Extra £2,975 per annum.

Expected time from week 1 until passed as competent to drive under instruction - Approx 20 Weeks.

Salary is paid four weekly.

Holiday

As a Trainee Driver you are entitled to 30 days annual leave per year. 20 days of this is rostered into the training plan in one two week block and two one week blocks and is non negotiable. 10 days can be taken at your discretion and by prior agreement with the Operations Training Manager.

Holiday year is 1 Jan to 31 Dec.

Training

Classroom training is based in York, Practical handling is based at King's Cross. (Please note, that is what my contract states, your practical handling may be elsewhere)

You will be paid for any travelling for classroom based training excluding the first hour of travel. This will be paid as per your headline salary.

That's about it folks, the rest is pretty much standard.

Thanks for posting all the details, really appreciate it!!!

I have received the email about the event on 18-4-17 also so i will meet some of you at that.

As for full salary for you trainee drivers, you will be on full money after 2 years from your start date.

After that period you are no longer classed as a high risk driver and classed as a "qualified" driver who is assessed and downloaded alot less than trainee's.

saracen

I have received the email about the event on 18-4-17 also so i will meet some of you at that.

As for full salary for you trainee drivers, you will be on full money after 2 years from your start date.

After that period you are no longer classed as a high risk driver and classed as a "qualified" driver who is assessed and downloaded alot less than trainee's.

^Not true^

You'll be on full salary once you've completed all rules, traction training/hours and had your final assessment with a Driver Manager. Once this is done you're ready to work your first productive turn alone and then you're entitled to full salary.

The two year period you mention is a PQA period, and this commences from your first productive turn. It in no way affects your salary with VTEC or any other TOC apart from XC.

^Not true^

You'll be on full salary once you've completed all rules, traction training/hours and had your final assessment with a Driver Manager. Once this is done you're ready to work your first productive turn alone and then you're entitled to full salary.

The two year period you mention is a PQA period, and this commences from your first productive turn. It in no way affects your salary with VTEC or any other TOC apart from XC.

My current TOC (Northern) is 2 years until full salary and i know XC is the same, i know VTWC is 2 years so i envisaged VTEC to be in line with the other TOC's including the sister company.

TJ123

^Not true^

Saracen are you 100% about trainees going to full salary once qualified? I agree with choochoodriver most TOCs in your first year driving your wage is slightly less same with my TOC.

If you are right Saracen, I would be interested to see what VTEC will do with qualified drivers. From what I've seen with XC, Virgin West coast, First etc a qualified driver will start on roughly 48k, once they have core route and traction then say 53k then after 12 months of core route and traction full drivers salary.

What I'm getting at is, if the trainees go to full salary once qualified then I would expect qualified drivers to go to full salary after our 4-6 months training

Last edited:

Sirgerbil

^Not true^

This is the impression I get from my contract too.

saracen

Saracen are you 100% about trainees going to full salary once qualified? I agree with choochoodriver most TOCs in your first year driving your wage is slightly less same with my TOC.

If you are right Saracen, I would be interested to see what VTEC will do with qualified drivers. From what I've seen with XC, Virgin West coast, First etc a qualified driver will start on roughly 48k, once they have core route and traction then say 53k then after 12 months of core route and traction full drivers salary.

What I'm getting at is, if the trainees go to full salary once qualified then I would expect qualified drivers to go to full salary after our 4-6 months training

Qualified are on full pay after Day 1 with VTEC. Same goes for Great Western, Southeastern, SWT, Chiltern etc. It's only XC that I'm aware of that has full salary pay imcrements based on time in the seat, routes/traction.

Ffcsteve14

I suppose the best thing is when we all receive contracts, is to ask regarding pay and it will be clarified! So many different suggestions!

TJ123

Qualified drivers going to Virgin West Coast is in increments but I don't think it takes as long as XC, that was from looking at the job description from there recent recruitment drive for liverpool. As a qualified driver if i go to full pay straight away when I go to VTEC then great I for one won't be complaining. I'll find out when I go to York.

TJ123

The reason there are different answers is because normally the smaller TOCs train the drivers and then new drivers then leave for other TOCs such as Virgin. From what I hear thats why these TOCs pay a lower salary for 12 months to claim back some of the costs, whether thats true or not I dont know. With these TOCs as well they state you have to stay with them for 2 years or you have to pay some of the money back to them, but i've not heard yet of anyone having to pay a TOC back for leaving early.

Tyrion

Qualified drivers going to Virgin West Coast is in increments but I don't think it takes as long as XC, that was from looking at the job description from there recent recruitment drive for liverpool. As a qualified driver if i go to full pay straight away when I go to VTEC then great I for one won't be complaining. I'll find out when I go to York.

You go up to full money after 4 months mate!
P

boom boom

Of course,we have just had this years pay rise confirmed . 3.2 per cent effective from last Sunday.Takes basic to just over £60,000. So,if a trainee passes the course,that will be their rate once passed competent.We have had four at our place that got bumped off their course.It is not an easy course.
Qualifieds come in at £45/£46 thousand I think. Rising to full money after 12 weeks I believe

Chuggington21

Qualified Drivers

Have any of you had anything to state that the job you have been offered is a qualified drivers position and not a trainee drivers job?

Tyrion

Qualified Drivers

Have any of you had anything to state that the job you have been offered is a qualified drivers position and not a trainee drivers job?

Any correspondence from Becky has said Qualified drivers or Ex Toc etc on the emails.

Sirgerbil

Of course,we have just had this years pay rise confirmed . 3.2 per cent effective from last Sunday.Takes basic to just over £60,000. So,if a trainee passes the course,that will be their rate once passed competent.We have had four at our place that got bumped off their course.It is not an easy course.
Qualifieds come in at £45/£46 thousand I think. Rising to full money after 12 weeks I believe

So in the first trainee course, 4 have already been let go? Wow. As I understood it all but one were internal candidates of which you'd think there would be some basic knowledge going in.

TJ123

That's good trainee's won't have to wait too long to be on full drivers wage, thanks for confirming about qualified drivers. Out of curiosity did you have to give up any of your t&cs.

TJ123

So in the first trainee course, 4 have already been let go? Wow. As I understood it all but one were internal candidates of which you'd think there would be some basic knowledge going in.

Internals might have some basic knowledge but that would be it. Whether you're Internal or external you're all on a same level playing field. Once you get deep into your rules course you're all in the same boat. Everyone learns different, some will be better at the rules, some will better at traction, main thing is help each other out.

I don't know about Virgin but I'd imagine it would be the same, but when it comes to driving, TOCs want you to pass and up to a certain point will try and help you get through it, but there is a point if you are not passing your exams, etc you may be let go, but this is a last resort.

boom boom

Not four let go in first course !!! Over recent years 4 people have been booted off their particular course. As for qualified drivers T and Cs ,you will keep your travel if protected.
Your pension will be different to existing drivers. Even if that is protected,or your benefits are scheduled for aged 60.It is age 65 for full benefits regardless of when you started.You can still go early of course.But you take a bigger hit

Davidson4301

So who's going to York on the 18th? Just realised the times 6-9pm so I have had to put a holiday in for the day after .

danyurl

I'm going on the 18th, hopefully might have some start dates sorted by then, then this all might finally sink in!

Tyrion

Again that doesn't answer the question its only stating what you currently are and not what your being offered

Any need for the patrionising comment there??
What point are you trying to make?
Do you think they will offer a Qualified Driver a Guards job or a Trainee Role?
Or is it money you are asking about?
8 Qualifieds have already joined at the start of this month.

If you are a qualified driver have you been offered somethinf you shouldnt?
What a bizarre question to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.