• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffcsteve14

Hi everyone

First time posting but I have been following.

Had my medical last Wednesday, was told everything is fine and got a call today to say I passed my drugs test.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else at the Kings Cross depot has got a start date and received their contract? Also, how long after the medical did you have to wait for your start dates?

I know one you already has it all,contract etc, just wanted to if there are any others at KX

Thank you

Got my start after approx a week. No contract or offer letter but start dates are a long way off in the year so don't expect to receive it yet! Congratulations on passing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

Does anyone know what the required standard is for eyesight in the medical. I'm shortsighted and I think my figures/prescription is - 5.75 and - 6.25. From doing a bit of research I found a RSSB document which states the maximum limit is - 8 so in theory I should be ok?

Peppajug78

Hi everyone

First time posting but I have been following.

Had my medical last Wednesday, was told everything is fine and got a call today to say I passed my drugs test.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else at the Kings Cross depot has got a start date and received their contract? Also, how long after the medical did you have to wait for your start dates?

I know one you already has it all,contract etc, just wanted to if there are any others at KX

Thank you

I had my medical 5 weeks ago which i passed but I am still awaiting a start date.

LChristina27

Got my start after approx a week. No contract or offer letter but start dates are a long way off in the year so don't expect to receive it yet! Congratulations on passing!

Oh ok, still quite a long wait ahead then! Oh well just happy to get this far.

Thank you and congrats on also getting through.

djsmith200

congrats to you all! especially when you look at the numbers!!! what does the medical and tests consist of? needles?!?

danyurl

congrats to you all! especially when you look at the numbers!!! what does the medical and tests consist of? needles?!?

An hour with the Health & Wellbeing Officer first where you do a brief medical questionnaire, eye test, hearing test (in a little booth with headphones), BMI, blood pressure, colour bind test, takes your drugs test sample which is sent away, and an ECG test if you're a driver.

Then you have a much shorter time with a doctor who checks your coordination, balance, reflexes and memory with daft little tests. One example was having to draw a five sided shape on a piece of paper without taking the pencil off the paper and then doing another of the same shape which had to link with the first one.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, apologies if I've missed anything.

Edit: No needles so don't worry about that if you have a fear of them.

BELLIE

Hello I've just been given the good news that I passed psychometric and have a position as a trainee train driver subject to medical. Can anyone tell me how long the wait is for the medical and where it will be please.
Cheers

BELLIE

Oh wow after a very anxious week waiting to find out the results of my psychometric tests I just got an email to say I passed it all! :D :D I was honestly expecting bad news as most people had found out in a matter of days.

Just a quick qtn for everyone. At what stage after getting the congrats email did people find out what depot they had got? My circumstances have slightly changed (not massively) since filling out the preference form for depots!

I think we attended the same day pal. Well done. I just got my email today and also passed. Get the medical out of the way and were home free

FManc

I think we attended the same day pal. Well done. I just got my email today and also passed. Get the medical out of the way and were home free

Ah brilliant news mate! All three of us passed then which is ace :D:D:D

CJM

I haven't received anything regarding a start date, just an email saying congratulations on passing your assessment etc. Then another email inviting me to the evening meet and greet. To date that is all I have received since passing last week.[/QUOTEH

Have you had your medical yet. I had my medical 5 weeks ago and I am still awaiting a start date.

No further information or attending a medical, all quiet on the western front! Sit and wait I think is the name of my game, as frustrating as that is

djsmith200

An hour with the Health & Wellbeing Officer first where you do a brief medical questionnaire, eye test, hearing test (in a little booth with headphones), BMI, blood pressure, colour bind test, takes your drugs test sample which is sent away, and an ECG test if you're a driver.

Then you have a much shorter time with a doctor who checks your coordination, balance, reflexes and memory with daft little tests. One example was having to draw a five sided shape on a piece of paper without taking the pencil off the paper and then doing another of the same shape which had to link with the first one.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, apologies if I've missed anything.

Edit: No needles so don't worry about that if you have a fear of them.

nice one dan cheers for all that. quite happy p-ssing in a bottle, needles or getting what hair ive got left pulled out on the otherhand lol

BELLIE

Ah brilliant news mate! All three of us passed then which is ace :D:D:D

Excellent well done. I thought I'd blown it when I didn't hear the same day or the day after as they suggested.

Am I right in thinking the medical is done in Edinburgh?

I've seen information on here about people being invited to a meet and greet have you had an invite? What are the details?

Cheers

FManc

Excellent well done. I thought I'd blown it when I didn't hear the same day or the day after as they suggested.

Am I right in thinking the medical is done in Edinburgh?

I've seen information on here about people being invited to a meet and greet have you had an invite? What are the details?

Cheers

I was exactly the same to the point I had mentally prepared myself for bad news.

I'm not too sure where the medicals are done mate. I thought they'd be able to do it in York or Leeds to be honest! I'm sure I read somewhere they've taken the medicals in-house rather than going to an external clinic.

Yeah I haven't had an invite either to that meet and greet day. I'm sure it's this Tuesday as well. I've got a feeling it's for people that were offered positions weeks/months ago as a means to keep them updated. I imagine as we only found out a few days ago maybe a) they thought it was too short notice for us to attend or b) there's nothing really to update us with as we only found out a few days ago.

I'll let you know if I hear anything re medicals etc...

danyurl

Certaintly wasn't expecting an "update" email at half 10 on Easter Sunday! Very nice to hear something though.

Lincdsg

Certaintly wasn't expecting an "update" email at half 10 on Easter Sunday! Very nice to hear something though.

Same here. Also it appears to suggest that those of us that haven't received a start date yet likely won't start until next year :(

danyurl

Same here. Also it appears to suggest that those of us that haven't received a start date yet likely won't start until next year :(

Yeah I couldn't help but feel that it may be a while for those who haven't got a start date yet, hopefully I'm wrong.

Ffcsteve14

Just being nosey,

I got a start date but for October and this was 2 months ago. Had already thought that perhaps I wouldn't actually start till next year due to back log etc.

What was the update??

Thanks

danyurl

Just being nosey,

I got a start date but for October and this was 2 months ago. Had already thought that perhaps I wouldn't actually start till next year due to back log etc.

What was the update??

Thanks

Hi mate I'll PM you the email.

Tyrion

Interesting that the email sent by Rebecca states less money to what my contract states.

She has not included recent pay rises in by looks of it, Qualified Drivers are now on £60,100 ish and will start on around £50k for first 16 weeks, better than a kick in the Hakuna Matatas
HR will know the correct amount

Last edited:

KOA

Interesting that the email sent by Rebecca states less money to what my contract states.

Very interesting that the amount you stated and the amount they stated are totally different. I wonder why it's changed that quickly in the space of a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.