• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

Cheers.

Just wondering to myself if the fact I only put a "1" next to Yorkshire on my prefered depot locations and ignored the other locations (didn't lst 1-4) stopped my chance of getting a job or not.

As in you didn't get through the pyschometric assessment centre? That's marked externally by the OPC so I doubt your location who have made a different tbh.

donpoku

I've sent the contract back now but it's roughly
Week 1 - week 20 = £27,000
Week 21 - successfully passing driving competence = £37,000 (around 52 week point )
After passing £60,400
5-6 month to pass out as trainees is very short and good although it'll be intense. So you'll need to keep head down and work hard.
However your post is still not clear, is it 27k-20weeks, then 37k-52weeks then unto full 60k. So roughly 18mth to full wage?
Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sirgerbil

5-6 month to pass out as trainees is very short and good although it'll be intense. So you'll need to keep head down and work hard.
However your post is still not clear, is it 27k-20weeks, then 37k-52weeks then unto full 60k. So roughly 18mth to full wage?

5-6 months is not correct.

To clarify, you will be classroom for 5 months, you will then move on to your Hours with your DI,Your pay rises at this point.

Your looking at around 12 months for full wage. But in all honesty wages should be the last thing in your mind. The training is a steep learning curve and is very intense if you are "off the street"

dugster70

To clarify, you will be classroom for 5 months, you will then move on to your Hours with your DI,Your pay rises at this point.

Your looking at around 12 months for full wage. But in all honesty wages should be the last thing in your mind. The training is a steep learning curve and is very intense if you are "off the street"

I might be wrong but do you commute from London to York daily

dugster70

I m not going to beat around the bush here guys but (shock, horror) I applied. Got past the assessment stage, and was asked to fill in the transfer of safety information form. I had an incident , Bingley train crash 2013, so had to put it on the form. I received the certificate of commendation from our operations officer for my actions in dealing with the incident and preventing further collisions. When BW phoned me she said my application was not being forwarded due to the fact I had an entry on my form ha ha, so no research done by stagecoach there then, straight in the bi

donpoku

You still not clear, is it roughly 12 month from start date to full wages or 12 month from week 21-hours with DI?

Tyrion

You still not clear, is it roughly 12 month from start date to full wages or 12 month from week 21-hours with DI?

The part about wages being last thing on your mind is very clear and you should heed that advice.

Depending on how you progress it will be 12-18 months until you get on full salary! The fact you get a raise during your training is a bonus that most other TOCs do not offer

Scotrail84

Established Member
Looks like folk just apply for these jobs for the wage packet and not because they actually want to do the job...:roll:

Sirgerbil

Very doubtful you'll have 5 months of classroom before hours.

Doubt all you want, but if you read back you'll see I'm on the course currently running. I will not be starting my hours till October.

Yeah I do, we also have days in Leeds too. Your front end turns will be at your depot.

dugster70

Doubt all you want, but if you read back you'll see I'm on the course currently running. I will not be starting my hours till October.

Yeah I do, we also have days in Leeds too. Your front end turns will be at your depot.

Wonder if it's worth asking for front ending authority, by the time you finish you'll know London York inside out

Tyrion

Wonder if it's worth asking for front ending authority, by the time you finish you'll know London York inside out

Would perhaps taking him over working day hours though although it is a good idea.
Sigerbill hope you are gettin paid thay travelling time though

Sirgerbil

Would perhaps taking him over working day hours though although it is a good idea.
Sigerbill hope you are gettin paid thay travelling time though

There's plenty of front ending throughout the course, Currently doing 2 weeks of it at the moment.

And yes, your traveling time is paid from KX - York.

Tyrion

There's plenty of front ending throughout the course, Currently doing 2 weeks of it at the moment.

And yes, your traveling time is paid from KX - York.

Ching ching

I have done enough front end turns over past few years your welcome to them :lol:
Does break the classroom stuff up a bit though and helps out some of it into perspective

BELLIE

Has anyone heard anything about a date for a medical or start date?
I've sent an email to Becky but have not had a reply...

vintagegt

Has anyone heard anything about a date for a medical or start date?
I've sent an email to Becky but have not had a reply...

No, it's all gone very quiet and there are lots of us in the same boat. Me included. It's very frustrating but to be fair to VTEC, they did tell us this would happen and explained the reasons for the delays.

As frustrating as it is, emailing Becky likely won't help as there are reasons for the delay. It's just a waiting game now (although it's admittedly torture!) :D

HTBFD

In the same boat too, it's a painful wait - hoping it's not too long but they said on the Keep in Touch event that they didn't want to give us our medicals too early, I guess so were not eating into the validity when our start date may not be til next year.

I've only checking my emails 3 times a day now, so definitely getting less obsessive!

Driver068

New to the forum and after reading this thread it amazes me the amount of questions surrounding the pay and not the job itself. Did anyone actually apply for other than the money being the driving force?

Skyrail

New to the forum and after reading this thread it amazes me the amount of questions surrounding the pay and not the job itself. Did anyone actually apply for other than the money being the driving force?

It'd be disingenuous of me to say the salary isn't a factor, but it isn't the main reason I applied. Having been in sales for 15 years and I'm sick of the souless corporate world where profit is king. Many moons ago I worked for BA for a couple of years and thoughourly enjoyed the variety of shift work. A decade and a half of 9-5 tedium (more like 8-8 and being too knackered to enjoy those pecious weekends in reality) is enough and was my main driver for applying.

That said, there are many other benefits for me and my family in becoming a driver, but I am fortunate to be able to say that if my application hadn't been successful I can earn more in my current job, but (and for me its a big but) the cost of working 60+ hour weeks on my physical health and sanity would be considerable and not worth the financial "reward". If money was the only driver for me I'd stay where I am.

That's not to say I have donned the rose-tinted spectacles in regards to becoming a driver. I know it will be tough at times and won't be sunshine and smiles all the time, what job is, but having spent many years researching the role and making sure I understand the nature of driving (and the training required), the advantages of becoming a driver massively outweigh the negatives and the lifestyle will certainly allow me to fulfil many more of my personal goals than plugging away at sales targets for the next 25 years will.

Last edited:

vintagegt

In that case, is there any benefit in raising it again and causing further tit-for-tat squabbles about it? I had numerous reasons for applying, the money was one of them but certainly not the only, or most important one.

If a person wishes to increase their income to support their family and offer a better quality of life to them, so long as he/she is a safe and dedicated driver, what business is it of anyone else to criticise that?

Come on people, this is supposed to be a support network for each other. Some need to get off their high horses and worry about your own reasons for applying instead of sniping at the motives of others.

BELLIE

I resisted for a long time before I couldn't bare it any more and emailed Becky. It is torturous but it's good to know I'm not alone in the waiting game. I wasn't able to attend the update event so was in the dark somewhat. I will now just wait for the next email regarding the medical.
In response to the money issue yes it's a good wage but for me I will get a life back being in a job that I won't be worrying about after I finish duty. That is the main driver for me and in addition it will be the start of a new chapter in my life. I truly appreciate being given this chance to show I have what it takes to be a driver. Currently I'm a cop which just takes it's toll on family life being so under staffed. Not a whinge but sometimes you make your own luck. I've not posted much on here and tend to be a bit reserved but I think anyone who has got through it all has done fantastically well and should be proud of themselves no matter what their reason for applying was.

BELLIE

I resisted for a long time before I couldn't bare it any more and emailed Becky. It is torturous but it's good to know I'm not alone in the waiting game. I wasn't able to attend the update event so was in the dark somewhat. I will now just wait for the next email regarding the medical.
In response to the money issue yes it's a good wage but for me I will get a life back being in a job that I won't be worrying about after I finish duty. That is the main driver for me and in addition it will be the start of a new chapter in my life. I truly appreciate being given this chance to show I have what it takes to be a driver. Currently I'm a cop which just takes it's toll on family life being so under staffed. Not a whinge but sometimes you make your own luck. I've not posted much on here and tend to be a bit reserved but I think anyone who has got through it all has done fantastically well and should be proud of themselves no matter what their reason for applying was.

Duns2208

Have viewed this forum for a while and agree with comment above it's excellent as a support network, even today to log in and see it's not just me checking emails daily is reassuring. I only found out I'd passed psychometric last month so some of you have waited a lot longer also. In terms of the salary from my point of view I think I'm like others in that the wait feels torturous as the excitement is building in terms of learning and doing the job, it feels life changing but in terms of the role not the financial reward. We will have a massive responsibility and for me a huge learning curve, I would not do that for financial gain alone.

vintagegt

Very wise words from both above, well said guys. Some very good points made.

We are all in the same boat guys and the waiting is difficult but hang in there, it'll all be worth it.

willwillwill

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything extra in regards to start dates since the keep in touch event?

Thanks

CJM

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything extra in regards to start dates since the keep in touch event?

Thanks

Nothing I'm afraid. I'm wandering if I have been forgotten about, did I dream it, will there be a job? but they did say they would be in touch with everyone by Oct; it just so far away!

Like everyone (I suppose), I am going through torture!

Did anyone pass psychometrics in Apr or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.