• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kaltias

Which depot's are you all waiting for?

I'm surprised to know some have not even had the medical yet?

I was down for Edinburgh or Newcastle, but the email I received the other day said not to worry about seeing adverts for qualified drivers at Edinburgh soon and that we still have offers.. So I guess I got Edinburgh!

Not medical yet for me either :(

xtradj

I've been emailing since March and have not had a reply

Passed the Medical end of Feb. Trying to get some sort of communication but it's impossible

danyurl

I've been emailing since March and have not had a reply

Passed the Medical end of Feb. Trying to get some sort of communication but it's impossible

I passed my medical in March and since the keep in touch event in April(?) in York all I've heard was the email last week about not to be worried as they're wanting to hire qualified drivers for Edinburgh as well. I'm trying to just get on with life until around October time when hopefully we'll all receive a start date but I can't help but check every email I get with eager anticipation and still find myself checking these forums daily haha.

3 months left until we should have some news guys, hopefully!

the stripler

Hi guys...im due to go to Edinburgh for a group assessment.
Can anyone advise me what to expect at all.
Never had this kind of interview for the railway before, and just needing a heads up.
Cheers

xtradj

I passed my medical in March and since the keep in touch event in April(?) in York all I've heard was the email last week about not to be worried as they're wanting to hire qualified drivers for Edinburgh as well. I'm trying to just get on with life until around October time when hopefully we'll all receive a start date but I can't help but check every email I get with eager anticipation and still find myself checking these forums daily haha.

3 months left until we should have some news guys, hopefully!

Painful isn't it pal! Hopefully well worth the wait

xtradj

Hi guys...im due to go to Edinburgh for a group assessment.
Can anyone advise me what to expect at all.
Never had this kind of interview for the railway before, and just needing a heads up.
Cheers

Is this for a trainee driver role? I imagined all the group assessments were done by now

Advice is to get involved as much as possible. Do not leave wishing you'd engaged more

TJ123

There was a few qualified drivers on here who put in for Edinburgh during the recent driver recruitment and didn't pass the assessment, have any of you applied for the most recent one that VTEC advertised for?

FManc

It's went all quiet again!! Anyone had any word yet?

Nope! Still waiting patiently :lol::lol:
Even an email with a date for the medical would suffice at the moment. I guess as long as there's still a job there, the wait will be worth it.

Last edited:

Lloydbarber

Can anyone who is currently in training advise how it works with regards to annual leave? What's the entitlement and how is it allocated?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sirgerbil

Can anyone who is currently in training advise how it works with regards to annual leave? What's the entitlement and how is it allocated?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You get 2 weeks annual leave if you pass your rules exam (Got mine today!) if you don't pass these 2 weeks are for retraining.

There are also 10 floating days for you to allocate once you are into your hours as long as your instructor and DTM agree.

danyurl

You get 2 weeks annual leave if you pass your rules exam (Got mine today!) if you don't pass these 2 weeks are for retraining.

There are also 10 floating days for you to allocate once you are into your hours as long as your instructor and DTM agree.

Good luck with it mate!

Yep, I'm still waiting too.

Lloydbarber

Thank you!

Good luck with the exam

Sirgerbil

I'll do my little update thing -

So last 5 weeks have been rules, 4 in classroom, 1 front ending to see in action. I'll give my honest opinion on rules. You will hear from some that rules are dead hard and you'll be revising for 4 hours everyday etc etc.

My trainer was great, He keeps it to the point and doesn't invent these wacky scenarios that will never happen. At the same time, he is making sure you understand the topic before you leave that classroom. Some great acronyms to help remember stuff as well.

For me, All I needed was 30-45 mins reading over my notes from the day on the train home to get me through, Some guys were doing hours of revision each night. Everyone is different. I honestly think that too much revision can be a negative thing.

So I'm now on A/L for 2 weeks, then return for Traction which will be held at King's Cross/Bounds Green.

For those that were worried about commuting to York everyday, I believe this issue has now been sorted with other courses that have started and you will now get accommodation if you are coming up from London visa versa for when those up north have to come down for London for traction.

danyurl

So last 5 weeks have been rules, 4 in classroom, 1 front ending to see in action. I'll give my honest opinion on rules. You will hear from some that rules are dead hard and you'll be revising for 4 hours everyday etc etc.

My trainer was great, He keeps it to the point and doesn't invent these wacky scenarios that will never happen. At the same time, he is making sure you understand the topic before you leave that classroom. Some great acronyms to help remember stuff as well.

For me, All I needed was 30-45 mins reading over my notes from the day on the train home to get me through, Some guys were doing hours of revision each night. Everyone is different. I honestly think that too much revision can be a negative thing.

So I'm now on A/L for 2 weeks, then return for Traction which will be held at King's Cross/Bounds Green.

For those that were worried about commuting to York everyday, I believe this issue has now been sorted with other courses that have started and you will now get accommodation if you are coming up from London visa versa for when those up north have to come down for London for traction.
Top man. Well done all the same for passing the rules exam and thank you for your updates. Enjoy your time off!

Ffcsteve14

Thanks for great update.

One question you have partially answered. If the accommodation doesn't come off for future courses what is a typical day to York? Class times etc? I like a many, will be travelling from Kings Cross.

Thanks for your help and updates!

Sirgerbil

Thanks for great update.

One question you have partially answered. If the accommodation doesn't come off for future courses what is a typical day to York? Class times etc? I like a many, will be travelling from Kings Cross.

Thanks for your help and updates!

If you are KX based, you will now get a hotel. But if you had to travel my day used to comprise of...

0430/0500 Alarm
0617 Train to St Pancras
0730 Train from KX (You can take the 0800, but I prefer to be early)
1000 Start at York
1500-1600 Finish (Expect later finishes as you go through the course)
1800ish arrival at KX.
1900ish arrival back home.

Its a long commute, and really took its toll on me. But totally worth it.

But as I said, Accommodation is now sorted and you wont have to commute except for Monday's and Fridays. (To Hotel and Home)

Ffcsteve14

If you are KX based, you will now get a hotel. But if you had to travel my day used to comprise of...

0430/0500 Alarm
0617 Train to St Pancras
0730 Train from KX (You can take the 0800, but I prefer to be early)
1000 Start at York
1500-1600 Finish (Expect later finishes as you go through the course)
1800ish arrival at KX.
1900ish arrival back home.

Its a long commute, and really took its toll on me. But totally worth it.

But as I said, Accommodation is now sorted and you wont have to commute except for Monday's and Fridays. (To Hotel and Home)

Thanks for the break down!!

Kaltias

:(
When did you hear?

I turned down 23rd October due to other home commitments sadly.

So weird, I had the urge to call today, but no answer and left a voicemail... and now other people are hearing! October would be absolutely perfect for me so fingers crossed!

FManc

Ah sorry I didn't explain myself properly . I heard in April ref Oct start. I was just wondering if anyone else heard ?

Got all excited there for a second! Haha
Is it October yet? :p that's when we've been told we'll get our start dates by. The closer we get the harder the wait becomes.

HTBFD

Got all excited there for a second! Haha
Is it October yet? that's when we've been told we'll get our start dates by. The closer we get the harder the wait becomes.

Haha same! I thought the dates were starting to filter through. Nothing on the medical date still, so must be going to give us start dates with medicals to follow and hope we pass. Seems like years since the psychometrics!

Status
Not open for further replies.