• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

vintagegt

Haha same! I thought the dates were starting to filter through. Nothing on the medical date still, so must be going to give us start dates with medicals to follow and hope we pass. Seems like years since the psychometrics!

Same here too, nothing. Seems like so long ago it's almost like I imagined it all! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danyurl

No news yet for me either, I've been wishing the summer away waiting for October to come!

FManc

At least we're all in the same boat!
I just wanna know what depot I'll be based at so I can put the house on the market :lol:

Gemz91

At least we're all in the same boat!
I just wanna know what depot I'll be based at so I can put the house on the market :lol:

Have you been offered a job but not been given depots yet?

(I applied but failed the group interviews so just wandering what the process has been since).

Kaltias

Have you been offered a job but not been given depots yet?

(I applied but failed the group interviews so just wandering what the process has been since).

Yeah, there's a lot of us (the majority, I think) found out we passed in April and have yet to get a medical or be told what depot we're based at and what course dates are. I only chose two options for depots but some people chose all so I feel terrible for them waiting to upheave their life...

Gemz91

Yeah, there's a lot of us (the majority, I think) found out we passed in April and have yet to get a medical or be told what depot we're based at and what course dates are. I only chose two options for depots but some people chose all so I feel terrible for them waiting to upheave their life...

I only choose one depot so like to think that was my downfall in not being successful! (Although maybe my theory is wrong if you only put two locations down :roll:

Skyrail

If I recall correctly, we were asked to fill in a form with depot preference, marking them 1-4, but I guess some people may only have indicated one or two depots if they weren't prepared to relocate.

The waiting is excruciating - I will be relocating whichever depot I get, but just not hearing anything is making it impossible to plan! Good to know we're all in the same boat though.

Slet25

If I recall correctly, we were asked to fill in a form with depot preference, marking them 1-4, but I guess some people may only have indicated one or two depots if they weren't prepared to relocate.

The waiting is excruciating - I will be relocating whichever depot I get, but just not hearing anything is making it impossible to plan! Good to know we're all in the same boat though.

Yeah I remember doing this but on further emails I have been asked which my preferred location is. Which I only confirmed one. I have passed my medical and now awaiting a start date.

vintagegt

Yeah I remember doing this but on further emails I have been asked which my preferred location is. Which I only confirmed one. I have passed my medical and now awaiting a start date.

Congratulations. I cannot wait until I can say what you've just said! My life has been pretty much on hold for almost a year now.

I'm sure many of the other guys are the same.

Skyrail

Congratulations. I cannot wait until I can say what you've just said! My life has been pretty much on hold for almost a year now.

I'm sure many of the other guys are the same.

Yep, I'm the same! Passed and was informed in April, but have yet to get a date for a medical. I am itching to start now as life is on hold here too!

vintagegt

Yep, I'm the same! Passed and was informed in April, but have yet to get a date for a medical. I am itching to start now as life is on hold here too!

Bitter sweet isn't it mate?

It's been a difficult process but one I've mostly enjoyed if I'm honest but, all of this waiting is the hardest part I think.

We just all need to keep patting ourselves on the back that we got this far and that it'll all be worth it in the end.

xtradj

Are people still waiting for a start date that have passed the medical? Or just those who haven't had a medical yet?

FManc

Are people still waiting for a start date that have passed the medical? Or just those who haven't had a medical yet?

Bit of both I think!
I think the majority of us who are waiting for a start date haven't had a medical yet. There are a few though that had a medical months ago and are waiting for a start date as well!

danyurl

Bit of both I think!
I think the majority of us who are waiting for a start date haven't had a medical yet. There are a few though that had a medical months ago and are waiting for a start date as well!

Yeah I had my medical back in March and waiting for my start date. To be honest I thought I was in the majority and only a handful of you guys hadn't had your medical yet either but I guess I could be wrong. I guess it all depends on allocating people to certain depots at the right time? I had my medical the same day as Davidson on here and we're both for Newcastle, he starts in a few weeks and I'm really jealous haha

FManc

Yeah I had my medical back in March and waiting for my start date. To be honest I thought I was in the majority and only a handful of you guys hadn't had your medical yet either but I guess I could be wrong. I guess it all depends on allocating people to certain depots at the right time? I had my medical the same day as Davidson on here and we're both for Newcastle, he starts in a few weeks and I'm really jealous haha

Tbh I'm probably wrong! Haha. I think the group of us that passed the tests in April are still mostly waiting for medicals.

My biggest regret is not going to an earlier group assessment day. I know someone who did everything dead early on and started in June.

danyurl

Tbh I'm probably wrong! Haha. I think the group of us that passed the tests in April are still mostly waiting for medicals.

My biggest regret is not going to an earlier group assessment day. I know someone who did everything dead early on and started in June.

Yeah I remember getting the initial email and debating whether or not to squeeze in before Christmas but decided to wait until the end of January. We'll get there in the end!

xtradj

Your both right it does seem like the earlier you had the assessment the further forward in the que you are.

I had my medical in march also however still waiting for a date. Although I know someone who had a medical after me who started in May so my theory may be wrong!

Skyrail

I've thought the same too, what if I'd gone for an earlier assessment, would I be on a course now etc. I know of one guy who was on my group assessment day who started his course in June. We were actually in the same groups for a couple of the exercises and, if I recall, he'd passed the psychometrics already so it all came down to group assessment day for him.

I guess they can't train 78 drivers all at once though and they'll be working to plan which probably needs to be fairy fluid. I'm just hoping to get a start date soon so I can start to plan.

FManc

Nope nothing here either. I guess there's 6 weeks left till the end of October.

I did notice they are looking for 6 qualified drivers to join Kings Cross depot with a start date of January 2018. I can't imagine these positions affects our job offers though.

Sirgerbil

Nope nothing here either. I guess there's 6 weeks left till the end of October.

I did notice they are looking for 6 qualified drivers to join Kings Cross depot with a start date of January 2018. I can't imagine these positions affects our job offers though.

Just to keep numbers up for estimated retirements when 800s arrive I'd imagine.

Got my traction assessment next week then on to hours till around March. Traction is harder than I initially imagined but again revision should pay off.

Good luck to those starting on the course in October, don't be afraid to say hello if you see me out and about!

Davidson4301

Just to keep numbers up for estimated retirements when 800s arrive I'd imagine.

Got my traction assessment next week then on to hours till around March. Traction is harder than I initially imagined but again revision should pay off.

Good luck to those starting on the course in October, don't be afraid to say hello if you see me out and about!

Hi ,
When did you start on the course ?

Duns2208

Has anyone tried contacting Virgin for an idea of dates or we all just sitting tight and anxiously waiting, hoping it's early October as it's going to feel like a long month if it's towards the end! I'm sure it'll all be worth it but be nice to have a date even if still 6 months away. Does anyone know how many of the 78 are now in the trainee role and how many of us are still waiting? I've still not had a medical yet but I think I was one of the last through psychometric in April!

vintagegt

Has anyone tried contacting Virgin for an idea of dates or we all just sitting tight and anxiously waiting, hoping it's early October as it's going to feel like a long month if it's towards the end! I'm sure it'll all be worth it but be nice to have a date even if still 6 months away. Does anyone know how many of the 78 are now in the trainee role and how many of us are still waiting? I've still not had a medical yet but I think I was one of the last through psychometric in April!

I passed psychs in April too and haven't had a medical yet.

It is frustrating for everyone but Virgin spoke months ago and said 'we will contact you sometime in (or possibly before) October to issue details of medicals and start dates'. Trying to relentlessly contact them is utterly fruitless as they will only tell us the same thing again, even if we do manage to get a voice on the end of a phone or a response to an email.

We're all in the same boat here and as hard as it is with all the waiting, there is absolutely nothing you can do other than just wait. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.