• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

trainpal railcard download

Status
Not open for further replies.

neiljj

Hi. I've recently purchased a digital railcard via trainpal but I cannot see anywhere to access or download the railcard. Am I missing something? Any help much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railguy1

Might also be worth taking a screenshot of the railcard, if the app is ever "down" for whatever reason.

EDIT: No point. See below.

Last edited:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Will revenue protection staff accept a screenshot of a railcard?
No - the railcard contains a colour-changing 'hologram' which revenue staff will likely look for to verify authenticity.

jamiearmley

But it is better than nothing
You might think that.

However, a screenshot of a Railcard is treated the same way as if no railcard is produced at all.

There are a number of reasons for this, mostly to do with the endemic levels of altered screenshots of digital railcards.

The digital railcard must be presented "live" in the app.

The good news is that the 'railcard left at home' policy applies, and as such, a failure to display the railcard can be resolved without penalty : either by purchasing a new ticket and later refunding through customer services after passing verification checks; or by providing details for a travel incident report, which will be closed once railcard details are verified.

It is, of course, better to ensure that you are conversant with the app within which you have chosen to purchase your Railcard, and that you can operate it successfully when required to do so, which is what the OP is (to their credit) trying to achieve by asking for advice on the forum.

Railguy1

You might think that.

However, a screenshot of a Railcard is treated the same way as if no railcard is produced at all.

There are a number of reasons for this, mostly to do with the endemic levels of altered screenshots of digital railcards.

The digital railcard must be presented "live" in the app.

The good news is that the 'railcard left at home' policy applies, and as such, a failure to display the railcard can be resolved without penalty : either by purchasing a new ticket and later refunding through customer services after passing verification checks; or by providing details for a travel incident report, which will be closed once railcard details are verified.

It is, of course, better to ensure that you are conversant with the app within which you have chosen to purchase your Railcard, and that you can operate it successfully when required to do so, which is what the OP is (to their credit) trying to achieve by asking for advice on the forum.

Ah, my mistake then, apologies.

Willie Bee

Can a railcard bought through Trainpal be used to get a discount, for tickets purchased directly with the train companies?

My daughter intends getting a Family & Friends railcard, but has always been happy to buy tickets via the LNER website directly. No booking fees apply. I'm not sure about Trainpal, with regard to fees.

My wife and I got a Two Together card from The Trainline, as there was an offer on but we have never actually purchased a ticket with them .. again, we just book directly with LNER or NorthernRail

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can purchase tickets anywhere, no need to use Trainpal. You just need to be able to show the railcard when asked to do so.

JaJaWa

Established Member
The Trainpal 'Railcard Plus' is interesting

island

Veteran Member
The Trainpal 'Railcard Plus' is interesting

Not really. It's just a paid for cashback scheme for 3% (5% to 12% are usually regularly available elsewhere) and 30% off admin fees that few people ever pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.