• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainsCanBeCheaper - New Booking Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I'm pleased to offer members of this forum exclusive early access to our new booking engine, TrainsCanBeCheaper, which now includes full ticket booking facilities.

We use the FastJP journey planner which many of you will have been testing for a while now, but TrainsCanBeCheaper builds on this to offer through tickets on a variety of itineraries, including slower ones, less common routes and different changing options.

We give you a whole host of advanced options including multiple via points (with granular control), mulitple avoid points, TOC selection, mode selection etc.

Obviously there's no fees of any sort if you choose the default delivery options.

The site is https://www.trainscanbecheaper.info

Please have a play with it, even if you're not going to book. It does come up with some interesting routes. Don't be put off by the slow speed sometimes - for this test I've set it to always do an exhaustive search. The public version has this only as an option.

Feedback would be appreciated - either by PM or directly in this thread. And stand by for the release of a full split-ticketing version in a month or so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Am getting an error message when I search

Server Error in '/' Application.

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS1061: 'ASP.timetable_fares_aspx' does not contain a definition for 'ButtonIntensive_Click' and no extension method 'ButtonIntensive_Click' accepting a first argument of type 'ASP.timetable_fares_aspx' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Source Error:

Line 482: <ContentTemplate>
Line 483: <div id="book" class="pull-right">
Line 484: <asp:Button ID="ButtonIntensive" class="btn btn-default blue" runat="server" Text="TRY A MORE INTENSIVE SEARCH (SLOW)" OnClick="ButtonIntensive_Click" />
Line 485: <a href="default.aspx" class="btn btn-default blue">EDIT JOURNEY</a>
Line 486: <asp:Button ID="ButtonProceed" runat="server" class="btn btn-default green tooltipnew" OnClick="ButtonProceed_Click" Text="PROCEED" title="Click here to see details of your journey" />

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\timetable_fares.aspx Line: 484

roversfan2001

Established Member
Am I right in thinking this is just an alternative booking engine until the split-ticket version is released?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Am I right in thinking this is just an alternative booking engine until the split-ticket version is released?

Yep - but the routeing system is a little more sophisticated and will find alternatives to the "normal" fastest routes that most planners offer.

We have to go through this step and get it approved before we can think about launching the splits version. But the splits version will look exactly the same.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Yep - but the routeing system is a little more sophisticated and will find alternatives to the "normal" fastest routes that most planners offer.

We have to go through this step and get it approved before we can think about launching the splits version. But the splits version will look exactly the same.

Ah right - cheers for the quick reply. I wonder if it will find the interesting itinerary I found on Trainsplit a few weeks back <D

some bloke

Established Member
First look:

Nice matrix for outwards and returns.

Good to see it shows the London Midland super off-peak options for London Terminals to Stafford, even without choosing "value".

BRFares and Fastjp don't show them if the origin is London Terminals.
BRFares shows them if the origin is Euston.

I haven't yet managed to get the new site to show LM super off-peak Mon-Thu Euston-Birmingham Stations, which BRFares shows with origin London Terminals or Euston.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
First look:

Nice matrix for outwards and returns.

Good to see it shows the London Midland super off-peak options for London Terminals to Stafford, even without choosing "value".

BRFares and Fastjp don't show them if the origin is London Terminals.
BRFares shows them if the origin is Euston.

I haven't yet managed to get the new site to show LM super off-peak Mon-Thu Euston-Birmingham Stations, which BRFares shows with origin London Terminals or Euston.

After seeing the results, click "Try a more intensive search (SLOW)". This should find them. I'll make a note that direct trains should be in by default.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for this. Once this is approved, do you then a lot of work to do, to get it working for split ticketing?

I will test it out later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Thanks for this. Once this is approved, do you then a lot of work to do, to get it working for split ticketing?

I will test it out later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nope. It's all ready to go. We just need this site to be properly tested (and a reasonable number of tickets purchased) before we get the green light.

You'll love the split ticketing version when you get to see it.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I tried Eastleigh - Waterloo on 4th April for 2 people with my Gold Card. It only offered the off-peak price not the super-off-peak

OK - we're looking into that. Our diagnostics tell us there's a date-based restriction in force.

trainophile

Established Member
Any chance of a "reverse" arrow to swap 'from' and 'to' stations, as per WebTis sites? Handy for checking what's available for your return before committing yourself to a specific date for outbound.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Any chance of a "reverse" arrow to swap 'from' and 'to' stations, as per WebTis sites? Handy for checking what's available for your return before committing yourself to a specific date for outbound.

Yes. I'll put it on the dev list now. Good idea.

GW43125

Established Member
I may have missed something, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that the system is working on it when I press the journey type buttons on the ticket matrix page.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I may have missed something, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that the system is working on it when I press the journey type buttons on the ticket matrix page.

I was hoping they might be fairly instant, but clearly they aren't. I'll do some work on it.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Agreed, it looks very user friendly and is quicker than many others.

I have to :lol: at Nick's avatar though, makes me feel guilty for even suggesting any improvements!

LOL! That dates from the time I was doing my rail sites as a hobby in my spare time. Now that FastJP is starting to be used, it will hopefully take the pressure off a little.

Anyway, please throw suggestions into the ring. I do take note and most of them will be added to the dev list. Thanks.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm trying to buy a ticket from West Drayton to Slough, for tomorrow.
Departing around 08:30, and returning same day around 12:30, one adult no railcards.
I'm wanting it to return the £6.70 Anytime Day Return.

It doesn't show any departures between 06:18 and 09:34, even though FastJP shows many direct train departures in this interval.

Also, when I select 'Fast' instead of 'Popular', it reverts back to 'Popular' once I click the left or right arrow to adjust the Outward Time in the results table.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I'm trying to buy a ticket from West Drayton to Slough, for tomorrow.
Departing around 08:30, and returning same day around 12:30, one adult no railcards.
I'm wanting it to return the £6.70 Anytime Day Return.

It doesn't show any departures between 06:18 and 09:34, even though FastJP shows many direct train departures in this interval.

Also, when I select 'Fast' instead of 'Popular', it reverts back to 'Popular' once I click the left or right arrow to adjust the Outward Time in the results table.

As you have noticed, you need to set "fast" mode to see more expensive services, even if they are earlier. The default is "popular" which is a trade off between price and time. But fast overrides this and shows the fastest, regardless of price.

However, I accept that the type should be kept when you change times, so I'll add it to the todo list. Thanks.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What a nice looking site! :D

Only one suggestion so far - once the outbound date is selected on the homepage, could the return date change to the same day/next day rather than staying on today's date?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Yes. That's already on the list - just got to force a post back, which i was trying to avoid to improve the speed.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes. That's already on the list - just got to force a post back, which i was trying to avoid to improve the speed.

Rather than forcing it globally, you could do as NRE do, and have same day/next day buttons for on demand POST queries? :)

greatkingrat

Established Member
There seems to be a bit of a problem with the way Advance ticket availability is being handled. For every train it says "There is only 1 seat left at this price" which presumably isn't always true.

This means that if you search for two or more people, the system only offers flexible tickets, not advances.

FQTV

DHM KGX 22APR17 and KGX DHM 23APR17 - site will only give me Super Off Peak Return or First Off Peak Return, saying that no Advances are available.

Hope that's useful.

FQTV

There seems to be a bit of a problem with the way Advance ticket availability is being handled. For every train it says "There is only 1 seat left at this price" which presumably isn't always true.

This means that if you search for two or more people, the system only offers flexible tickets, not advances.

Ah, that seems to be the problem with my search above. I was looking for two passengers travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.