• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit has competition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractakid

Seems there's a new split ticket booking engine available.

Do we reckon ticketclever.com is any good?

Initial impression is that the user interface is good, but I am not yet sure if it's any good at finding split tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Initial impression is that the user interface is good, but I am not yet sure if it's any good at finding split tickets.
Initial impression is the same. I just looked for Dundee to Edinburgh/Glasgow day returns and it didn't offer the split at Leuchars for Edinburgh, and only offered the split at Perth for Advance tickets.

So it's not impressed me much yet.

LordCreed

Initial impression is the same. I just looked for Dundee to Edinburgh/Glasgow day returns and it didn't offer the split at Leuchars for Edinburgh, and only offered the split at Perth for Advance tickets.

So it's not impressed me much yet.

I tried Exeter to Salisbury, and not only did it not give the cheap way via Westbury, but it didn't even do the usual Tisbury split..

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Failed to find the cheapest option for Darlington to Sheffield. Charging me £10 more for the same trains as Trainsplit! Very disappointing as this is a pretty easy example as it's nearly always better to split somewhere on this route...

I'm beginning to wonder if the ASA need to know about some of the claims being made on their website! :lol:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Looks like part of the sales pitch is to attempt to go for the 'more polished look', with the snazzier website. I wonder if they might have an eye on the corporate or at least business market as well?

ticketclever did find some splits on a peak morning journey from London to Manchester, which trainsplit doesn't (even when I've tried to coax it using the advanced options).

However ticketclever only found walk-up tickets - that is, Euston-MKC Anytime Day Single £20; MKC-Stoke on Trent LM-only Anytime Single £35; Stoke-Manchester Picc VT-only Anytime Day Single £12.80 - with a change of trains at each split point (0643 VT ex-EUS, 0721 LM ex-MKC, 0948 VT ex-SOT).

Neither found the v cheap option for tomorrow morning (Weds 1 Feb) of LM Advance Euston-Stoke £9 (available on the 0624 and 0746 departures) then the XC Advance £7.70 (available on several trains including the 0920 and 1020 which connect well with the above LM arrivals), grand total of £16.70 (comparable with NX and megabus coach fares for tomorrow).

In another thread, SickyNicky of trainsplit says an improved version is in the pipeline which may be able to handle such a route.

Part of ticketclever's sales pitch is their "clever algorithm", so I guess it might come down to the battle of the algorithms...

Last edited:

centraltrains

I find its UI very confusing and unclear - which is a VERY unusual position for me [However I have a cold and feel very tired which doesn't help]. There is just way too many number and loads of whitespace (on my 1080p monitor). It is like the extreme opposite of the new govia ticket interfaces.

I think the best is the type Chiltern use [Is it called WebTIS?]

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Neither found the v cheap option for tomorrow morning (Weds 1 Feb) of LM Advance Euston-Stoke £9 (available on the 0624 and 0746 departures) then the XC Advance £7.70 (available on several trains

I can confirm that our new version does find this split by default.

D6975

Established Member
Just tried it for BRI-DON single on a random date in the near future, it came up with a total of 30 quid more than I got doing it by myself.

Trainsplit did better, about 14 quid more than I got.

Last edited:

ys123

It seems to me that this site is still using 2016 prices.

Ye, but as it only does on the day tickets I believe the split percentage saving would remain the same as all on the day tickets are regulated (correct me if I'm wrong). As i said ita not for any novice users, but I use it just to give me an idea what the options are and then check those options against today's fares.
For Manchester to Llandudno Junction it tells me to split at Chester for a very small saving but has another option of save more if you stick to one TOC for all or part of the journey in this case VTWC with a larger saving.

ys123

I can confirm that our new version does find this split by default.

Just tried trainsplit for Manchester Victoria to Newcastle direct return "flexible" and the cheapest it can find is £61. Splitting at York and getting a York to Newcastle TPE only ticket would be just £53.60. Would the new system find it? How would trainsplit display such a fare, it's not an advance as you don't have to stick to a specific train and it's not flexible as the second part can only be used on TPE (currently 1tph soon to be 2tph)?

John @ home

Established Member
all on the day tickets are regulated (correct me if I'm wrong)
It is incorrect to say that all fares which can be purchased on the day of travel are regulated fares.
House of Commons Library briefing paper said:
Rail fares and ticketing

What is a ‘regulated’ fare?

In 2003 the Strategic Rail Authority (SRA) conducted a major fares review. The outcome of that review was that after 1 January 2004 regulated fares would fall into two categories, known as ‘protected fares’ and ‘commuter fares’:
  • Protected fares include saver returns, standard returns and weekly season tickets; and
  • Commuter fares include season tickets to, from and within the London Travelcard zones; standard singles and returns for journeys wholly within the London Travelcard zones; and standard singles and standard returns to any station in the Travelcard zones from a defined London suburban area, roughly 35-50 miles from London.
All other fares would be unregulated and TOCs would be free to determine these fares according to market forces. Unregulated fares include:
  • all first class fares;
  • ‘advance purchase’ fares;
  • tickets (other than Travelcards) which include through-travel to London destinations served by other public transport;
  • tickets which include a non-rail element (e.g. leisure park admission);
  • saver tickets, for journeys where there was no saver fare in 2003; and
  • weekly season tickets, for journeys where there was no weekly season fare in 2003.
http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN01904#fullreport

Unixman

Good start to Traintimes....

Worcester - Aberystwyth return ...

Error: 500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, the requested URL 'http://split.traintimes.org.uk/WOS/AYW/y/09%3A00/18%3A00' caused an error:

I think it needs a LOT more work done before it is released to the world.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Interestingly the colour scheme jumps out and says XC to me. It's not, but possibly a case of passing-off, even if not deliberately.

Is it because of this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38812175

Passengers using cross-country train routes could save up to £260 a journey, under a trial scheme to simplify fares.

The Rail Delivery Group (RDG), which represents train operators, says the 16 million fares currently on offer are "baffling" for passengers.

It wants to ensure passengers are offered the cheapest possible fares.

The trial from May will initially benefit people travelling between Scotland and south-west England.

A traveller buying an off-peak return from Wick, in northern Scotland, to Par, in Cornwall, can currently pay up to £342.50, although in practice few people pay that amount.

However, by buying six separate fares for each leg of the journey, passengers can pay as little as £80 for the same trip.

The RDG says the potential saving of £262 will soon be offered to customers automatically.

CrossCountry Trains, the main operator taking part in the trials, may eventually offer savings on other routes as well.

'Fares to trust'

Passengers travelling between London and Glasgow, or London and Edinburgh on Virgin Trains, will also benefit from clearer pricing.

Operators currently have to offer a return fare between these cities, which is regulated by the government.

But the RDG says it would be more transparent - and possibly cheaper - for commuters if the single fares were regulated instead.

It wants more airline-style booking of single fares - at ticket offices and ticket machines, as well as on the internet.

"We're determined to overhaul the system to cut out red-tape, jargon and complication to make it easier for customers to buy fares they can trust, including from ticket machines," said Jacqueline Starr, RDG director of customer experience.

The trial will also see the removal of some historic fares which do not make sense.

At the moment passengers travelling between London St Pancras and Sheffield pay extra to travel via Grantham, for example, even though it takes longer.

Such fares date back to the pre-privatisation era of British Rail.

The price of average train fares - including regulated and unregulated tickets - went up by 2.3% in January, even though consumer prices rose by just 1.6% last year.

The rise led to protests by passengers and rail unions.

Which I read as: remove regulated 'saver' fares and persuade people to buy unregulated 'advance' fares instead. Technically they are correct as one will pay less in cash terms but you throw away any flexibility in the process.

dracos

Good start to Traintimes....

Worcester - Aberystwyth return ...

Error: 500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, the requested URL 'http://split.traintimes.org.uk/WOS/AYW/y/09%3A00/18%3A00' caused an error:

I think it needs a LOT more work done before it is released to the world.

Sorry about that, that journey currently involves a bus journey which is confusing it. It worked okay for my http://split.traintimes.org.uk/BRV/LDS/n/07:30/17:00 journey this morning, so that's good enough for me :)

dracos

Anyone tried using http://split.traintimes.org.uk? I'm very impressed with it although it does need alot more more work putting into it and I wouldnt recommend it to any novice users. Also it only does on the day tickets.

Thanks! It does enough for my needs, though I freely admit I'm not a novice :)
Sorry I haven't had time to update to the 2017 prices yet, hopefully at some point soon.

Skipness

Has to be train split for me.
Have been using it regularly for last 12 months for getting split tickets on 300+ miles journeys.
Booked some tickets yesterday, so tried ticketclever today for exactly the same journey which came out £50 more expensive. Not impressed.
Trainsplit could be improved, for example local knowledge of bus/train rover tickets but these are not available from standard TVMs.
Seat reservations can also result in having to play musical chairs at the split points, especially at New Street.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Well, for a well known local fare, they all fail! It's not even a loophole fare.

Stoke-on-Trent to Sheffield. Depart tomorrow 1000, return tomorrow 1600
SVR £34.60
Splittraintimes - no saving found
Trainsplitting - £27.60
Ticketclever - £28.60

RailUKForums most excellent users and advisors - £15.20

That's because the first three all start by taking the route, then finding the fares for that route i.e. via Stockport. WRONG WAY ABOUT. The cheapest is SOT - BYB - SHF with a SDR / CDR combo.

I'm going to check again for Longton as that is on the same Crewe - Derby line.

Which gives the following:
Longton to Sheffield. Depart tomorrow 1000, return tomorrow 1600
SVR £34.60
Splittraintimes - no saving found but a fare of £34
Trainsplitting - £14.30, the correct answer
Ticketclever - £34.60 but which gives a return journey via Derby so it really ought to check that route both ways and the associated fares.

RailUKForums most excellent users and advisors - £14.30

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
That's because the first three all start by taking the route, then finding the fares for that route i.e. via Stockport. WRONG WAY ABOUT. The cheapest is SOT - BYB - SHF with a SDR / CDR combo.

Agreed. This is a problem with existing journey planners. I'm delighted to say that our new system finds this route and split by default.

dracos

Stoke-on-Trent to Sheffield. Depart tomorrow 1000, return tomorrow 1600
SVR £34.60
Splittraintimes - no saving found

Yeah; it does find it if you specify a via of BYB or DBY, e.g. http://split.traintimes.org.uk/SOT/SHF/y/10:00/16:00?via=DBY
I of course realise you would have no way of knowing to do that, necessarily, though you might have seen the return journey (which was via Derby anyway) and tried it. But it doesn't claim to try and do that :)

D6975

Established Member

I think this is probably the reason that I usually manage to beat all the split planners for many of the long distance journeys that I make. A combination of imaginative routes and sometimes longer than average connections can yield substantial savings.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Ticketclever - £34.60 but which gives a return journey via Derby so it really ought to check that route both ways and the associated fares.
I'm getting the impression that Ticketclever is quite good on finding slower routes, but it falls down a bit with split return fares - it seems to be (a bit) better for split singles.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm getting the impression that Ticketclever is quite good on finding slower routes, but it falls down a bit with split return fares - it seems to be (a bit) better for split singles.
If it is associated with TheTrainline then that isn't much of a surprise. Their 'slower routes with cheaper tickets' option is actually not too bad at finding different option.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
ticketclever isn't associated with The Trainline, it's just that one of the guys who was part of the team that launched The Trainline back in the day is now part of the team launching this new site. Looking at his résumé (linked to earlier), it appears he knows his way around the British railway ticking system quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.