• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram Drivers - Major Recruitment Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
18 to 23k for a tram driver, sod that! I'd be on more as a bus driver, and was on more as a van driver, with no passengers!

Established Member
Good starting block for many, and you hardly deal with the public :)

Established Member
Probably piles of overtime and enhancements. It's never been a great payer, but it's a good step up to driving big trains in my opinion.

snail

Established Member
Nice to see that tram drivers have "Principle Responsibilities" :roll:

I take it that "Demonstrate high quality written and verbal communication skills" is not an essential requirement for person drafting a TfGM job ad.

Sammy h

Think I will have a bash and apply for this, what have I got to lose?

387star

On Moderation
I can't go for this as I have passed my driving test four years ago but have yet to afford a car! I am currently working for a chairty who are financing driving lessons to help me with outreach work but need a few more weeks!

I assume tram driving has a closer connection to car driving than trains because of the street runs

Sammy h

Would this job be a good stepping stone if you were looking for a train driver job?

Established Member
Would this job be a good stepping stone if you were looking for a train driver job?

Yes and no - shows that you have some experience working in the transport industry, however it isn't the same as working on the actual railway in many ways.

Beveridges

Established Member
When I was on the dole 4 years ago looking through the job vacancies at JobCentrePlus I never saw Bus and Van drivers on 23k (tram salary after training) it was more like £8 an hour max!! Don't know where you get that from

notadriver

Established Member
Youre right. 23k is only achievable on the higher rates of pay and with significant amounts of overtime.

Beveridges

Established Member
I thought light rail (tram) driving does not have the same skill level as heavy rail in that braking distances are much shorter, coupling/uncoupling with lighter vehicles is easier, easier to remember which stations you are required to stop at (because you always stop at them all), fault finding and isolations are easier to cope with, and you don't do as many complex shunt moves at stations or sidings with trams as with trains. But it probably comes with a much higher level of boredom than driving Trains so requires a lot of patience.

Last edited:

Established Member
Did anyone hear from Metrolink?

As far as I know, the Inspector recruitment will be concluded by next week, with letters going out.

The driver recruitment was a week behind that, so should be maybe next two or three weeks.

Oddball

Hi. I received an email from Metro link on Friday telling me I was unsuccessful. I thought I filled in the application form in ok and was quietly confident for an interview. Very disappointed :cry:
So no news is good news for you maybe? ;)

strange6

Established Member
Something I couldn't do, I don't have the patience :)

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/recruitment/Vacancy.aspx?JobVacancyID=3

That derailed tram would have been in Debenhams front window if I'd been drivin'

Have fun gang.

That salary is very mean in my opinion. The tram driver's job is much more safety critical compared to a train driver who gets much more money; I certainly wouldn't fancy driving a tram around a crowded Manchester City Centre on a Saturday afternoon thanks very much!

kart

Hi. I received an email from Metro link on Friday telling me I was unsuccessful. I thought I filled in the application form in ok and was quietly confident for an interview. Very disappointed :cry:
So no news is good news for you maybe? ;)

Did you go for the driver job?

notadriver

Established Member
That salary is very mean in my opinion. The tram driver's job is much more safety critical compared to a train driver who gets much more money; I certainly wouldn't fancy driving a tram around a crowded Manchester City Centre on a Saturday afternoon thanks very much!

So why don't tram drivers get more money than train drivers?

Beveridges

Established Member

So why don't tram drivers get more money than train drivers?

Bus Drivers also consistantly drive Busses around crowded town and City centres on Saturday afternoons and can be paid anything from £5.80 an hour in my area!

Tram Driving and Train Driving both have different hazards. Tram Driving overall must be easier however as thats why they're on 23k and Train Drivers are on 40k.
It's like me saying why is MDD Driving only 30k when you have to pull your own points, and prep and fuel your own train, yet Mainline Drivers don't. Its the overall picture you have to look at that decides which job gets paid the most, rather than just concentrating on 1 or 2 things.

Last edited:

Oddball

What are the differences in training between the two? I know for train driver's its 12 months, but what about tram drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.