• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trams to Wolverhampton Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo004

Does anyone know when trams are going to start running to Wolverhampton Railway Station? It seems to be taking a very long time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I suspect it is fairly soon, but the operators don't want to give a definitive date in case there are problems with the testing.

Metro confirm final tests have begun on £50m delayed Wolverhampton extension​

Passengers should finally be able to use the Wolverhampton Metro extension this summer, if final tests are successful.

The long-awaited £50 million Metro link from St George's down Piper's Row to Railway Plaza was meant to be completed in 2020 but has been beset by budget hikes and delays.
However, Midland Metro Alliance have announced the end is in sight for the major construction project to extend the line 700 metres.
On Monday, Metro bosses held a meeting with Wolverhampton Council chiefs about the final stages of the construction.
After the meeting a Midland Metro Alliance spokesperson exclusively told the Express & Star: “Over the last few weeks our construction team have been busy completing remaining activities around the Railway Plaza area, including resurfacing the highway and laying paving in public areas

“Shortly, and following the successful completion of the first phase of testing and commissioning last month, the final stage of testing will begin and those in the area will once again see test trams running on the new route ahead of handing over to the operator for driver familiarisation in coming weeks.”
Metro bosses will not give a definitive date for its opening in case the tests are not successful and create another delay.

The project was first delayed by 18 months due to construction work at the railway station. Metro bosses then hoped the 720-metre extension would be ready for the Commonwealth Games in July but pushed back the opening date until autumn 2022.

Then last October the project was again pushed back to Spring 2023, a date which looks like it will be narrowly missed.
Forthcoming tests include ensuring the signals on Row Pipers ensure traffic and trams can travel on the same road safely. These will take place on Monday, June 5 and Tuesday, June 6. Then drivers will have to be trained to use the new extension track before timetables are created to allow passengers to begin using the trams.
Midlands Metro Alliance director Peter Cushing previously blamed "complexities" of installing the systems needed to run the trams down Pipers Row and supply chain problems for the delays.

P Binnersley

The 4th July is mentioned in the comments of a YouTube Video. I don't know how accurate that is.

The rails still looked rusty last weekend so not much test running yet.

Turbo004

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I might be able to have a July trip to Wolverhampton.

317 forever

Established Member
I've had a look on the Metro website. There is no confirmed date as yet. So Tuesday 4th seems very unlikely.

Chester1

Established Member
How did a 700 metre extension cost £50 million. Thats one million pound per 14 metres! Does the price tag include new rolling stock etc?

tomuk

Established Member
How did a 700 metre extension cost £50 million. Thats one million pound per 14 metres! Does the price tag include new rolling stock etc?
Nobody knows and that is why an investigation is ongoing.

Liam L

I thought the new trams were brought for future extension to Dudley and East side. However nothing surprises me when Andy Street puts his name too it.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Testing the new dot matrix/information screens was ongoing today at Pipers Row tram stop as I walked past it this afternoon. A few colas rail vans around as well. The stations needs route maps and timetables/any other information added and then it's pretty much ready to open I think.
Odd to see the extension to Wolverhampton under wires when the trams could use the batteries instead for that short journey instead of spending money on electricity. Food for thoughts I think.

Liam L

Testing the new dot matrix/information screens was ongoing today at Pipers Row tram stop as I walked past it this afternoon. A few colas rail vans around as well. The stations needs route maps and timetables/any other information added and then it's pretty much ready to open I think.
Odd to see the extension to Wolverhampton under wires when the trams could use the batteries instead for that short journey instead of spending money on electricity. Food for thoughts I think.
Signalling issues is holding it from opening atm I'm told.

Also the wires isn't really a issue, not sure how much difference it will make to electricity compared to when it's connected to rest of the network. The batteries were put in for the library section and the tunnel at five ways as overhead wires isn't allowed in those areas, the batteries can be and I have witnessed this myself can be used on other parts when there issues with the wires.

tomuk

Established Member
Batteries aren't perpetual motion you need to charge them up somewhere doing it while at the terminal is quite useful.

furgus2

The wires are only along Pipers Row. Trams will be using battery power along Railway Drive to the new terminus.

pdeaves

Established Member

Batteries aren't perpetual motion you need to charge them up somewhere doing it while at the terminal is quite useful.
You either spend money on electricity at the point of use, or you spend money on electricity gathering it in advance. The same amount of energy is needed and must be paid for (though, technically, slightly more if charging batteries as there are additional conversion losses).

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Signalling issues is holding it from opening atm I'm told.

Also the wires isn't really a issue, not sure how much difference it will make to electricity compared to when it's connected to rest of the network. The batteries were put in for the library section and the tunnel at five ways as overhead wires isn't allowed in those areas, the batteries can be and I have witnessed this myself can be used on other parts when there issues with the wires.
Hopefully they can sort the signalling issue out soon so they can open it up. Will be good to see which it quicker- getting the tram from the station or walking to St George's and going from there.

Is St Georges stop staying open after the new line is operational?
If so, how will they divide up which trams go where?

duncanp

Established Member
Is St Georges stop staying open after the new line is operational?
If so, how will they divide up which trams go where?

The plan is for Wolverhampton St Georges to remain open.

What service is expected to run on the extension?​

• Service frequency to the railway station: Six-minute service during peak times with a 15-minute service off-peak. With two to four trams per hour serving Wolverhampton St George’s.
  • Monday to Friday: 04:40 to 00:15
  • Saturday: 04:40 to 01:00
  • Sunday: 07:20 to 00:10 at 15 minute frequency

Sunil_P

I think the "aspiration" is for a loop going the west and north side, so from St Georges back round towards Pipers Row.

Liam L

Will it be one tram to St George's then the next to Wolverhampton Station and so on...?
I would presume so

What is the point of that when Piper's Row is less than 300 metres away?
It's a extra terminus in Wolverhampton which can be used in disruption so makes complete sense to keep it open, It will still have a regular service after the extension opens too.

fgwrich

Established Member
What is the point of that when Piper's Row is less than 300 metres away?
Pipers Row is next to the bus station, whereas St Georges is a bit on a limb in the town centre. Granted, they aren't far from each other, but you'll be able to hop out the door of the tram and almost into a bus at Pipers Row, whereas St Georges is more for the shops.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Over the last couple of weeks passing the tram stop at Pipers Row they have been testing the dot matrix boards out with scrolling text at the bottom of the screens. No sign of trams yet unfortunately.

dvboy

Established Member
Will it be one tram to St George's then the next to Wolverhampton Station and so on...?
So less frequent to St George's than via Piper's Row. Sounds like 2 in 7 peak and 1 in 3 off-peak.

Sunil_P

Any news on the opening date?

In passing, I used to stay at the Britannia Hotel on a number of occasions when I commuted to Coventry three days a week (um, when hotels in Brum or Cov were fully booked). But I haven't visited Wolves at all since 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.