• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trams to Wolverhampton Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

furgus2

I can’t see the opening happening just yet. I was at the station today and a section of tram track was fenced off. Inside, the paving stones between the rails had been dug up leaving a rectangular shaped bar exposed. I wondered if it was some sort of sensor which needs replacing or repairing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I can’t see the opening happening just yet. I was at the station today and a section of tram track was fenced off. Inside, the paving stones between the rails had been dug up leaving a rectangular shaped bar exposed. I wondered if it was some sort of sensor which needs replacing or repairing.

It could be that some defect was discovered as a result of running test trams.

I suppose it depends on how long it takes to fix it.

I won't hold my breath for it being open by Christmas.

furgus2

Apparently, another step towards the opening of the new section being opened is that Pipers Row will be closed for resurfacing work between 14th and 18th August.

furgus2

Today’s Express and Star is reporting that the Wolverhampton extension will be handed over to the operator ‘shortly’. Of course, no date is forthcoming!

Last edited:

furgus2

As I understand it, the extension has now been handed over to the operator and driver training begins this Tuesday, the 29th. During the training period, passenger services with start/terminate at The Royal.

PsychoMouse

From what I've been told by WMM they hope the training to be complete in 3 weeks (but maybe sooner) by which time they'll run to the station only with no service to St Georges while some minor works are completed where the track splits.

Wolfie

Established Member
Does anyone know when trams are going to start running to Wolverhampton Railway Station? It seems to be taking a very long time.
According to BBC Breakfast local news driver training is underway.

madannie77

Sunday 17th September

Connecting the existing network at The Royal to the main railway station at Wolverhampton Station, the extension will also serve Pipers Row for the bus station when it opens on Sunday 17th September 2023.

When the tramway opens, it will serve the new stops at Pipers Row and Wolverhampton Station only. During this time, the team from Midland Metro Alliance will be completing systems integration activities and street scene improvements in the vicinity of the current terminus at Wolverhampton St. George’s which will then allow for two termini operation later this autumn.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see timetable shows a peak and Mon - Sat daytime frequency is every 10 Minutes. I'm sure when I lived in Birmingham over a decade ago the Trams used to run more frequently than this (every 6 Minutes at peak times and every 8 Minutes during the day IIRC).

Also, why is the line from St George's being kept operational? Surely given the proximity of the Tramstop at Pipers Row this line is surplus to requirements, and will surely just mean that customers at the railway station will have to wait longer for a Tram.

Good news about the opening, but
I can foresee a situation whereby people will, instead of waiting at the Tram Stop, will congregate on the pavement around the junction is, waiting to see which way the incoming Tram will go!
If it turns towards the Station they will walk down to Pipers Row (probably figuring they won't gave enough time to get to the Station in time) and wait there, or walk to St George's.
Conversely you will have people waiting at St Georges who see a Tram head for the Station and will begin to walk, possibly en masse, again to Pipers Row.

PsychoMouse

Also, why is the line from St George's being kept operational? Surely given the proximity of the Tramstop at Pipers Row this line is surplus to requirements, and will surely just mean that customers at the railway station will have to wait longer for a Tram.

I get the impression that they might eventually want a city centre loop or a continuation of the line past St Georges.

P Binnersley

I get the impression that they might eventually want a city centre loop or a continuation of the line past St Georges.
Like This?
£30M Midland Metro Extension Plan Revived (Wolverhampton Express and Star 2012).
A £30 million proposal to extend the Midland Metro tram line in Wolverhampton has been revived, transport bosses revealed today.
A first phase of the extension will join up the existing St George's tram stop in Bilston street with Wolverhampton rail station and is expected to take place before 2015.
The creation of a Metro loop around Market Street and Lichfield Street would not be carried out until a later date.
There is no sign of the loop in current plans so I think this is currently dead in the water.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
I can foresee a situation whereby people will, instead of waiting at the Tram Stop, will congregate on the pavement around the junction is, waiting to see which way the incoming Tram will go!
If it turns towards the Station they will walk down to Pipers Row (probably figuring they won't gave enough time to get to the Station in time) and wait there, or walk to St George's.
Conversely you will have people waiting at St Georges who see a Tram head for the Station and will begin to walk, possibly en masse, again to Pipers Row.
Surely people will use an app to give them that information rather than eyeballing at a crossroads.

Sunil_P

Great news! Finally! But I had hoped to do Station to the Royal, Royal to St Georges, then St Georges back to the Royal, then back to the station, so I could do both forks at the new junction. Oh well...

Noddy

Good news about the opening, but

Surely people will use an app to give them that information rather than eyeballing at a crossroads.

Are there no matrix’s on the platforms to indicate how long the next tram will be?

Are there no matrix’s on the platforms to indicate how long the next tram will be?
 A good idea might be a additional CIS stating something like "Next Bham Tram will be leaving from Pipers Row Stop in x Minutes. It is a 5 min Walk"
Similarly at Pipers Row "Next Birmingham Tram will be from St Georges in x Mins, a 5 min walk"

Noddy

They say St George's is not in use. Is this just temporary?

In the press release/announcement linked to below it says:

When the tramway opens, it will serve the new stops at Pipers Row and Wolverhampton Station only. During this time, the team from Midland Metro Alliance will be completing systems integration activities and street scene improvements in the vicinity of the current terminus at Wolverhampton St. George’s which will then allow for two termini operation later this autumn.

So it looks like St George’s will be closed for little while, while they do that work. Let’s hope it doesn’t drag on like everything else associated with the metro does…

Farigiraf

So it looks like St George’s will be closed for little while, while they do that work. Let’s hope it doesn’t drag on like everything else associated with the metro does…
So one construction project onto another. Good luck local residents.

Established Member
I'm sure there's a PIS at Dublin Connolly that shows departures from Busaras as well.

For those who don't know, Connolly is a short spur off the LUAS red line, it's about a 3 minute walk to Busaras where all red line Trams call.

Sunil_P

Street scene improvements?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I did the new line today, and to be honest it was exactly as expected, slow and boring. I hadn't noticed, on a walk following the extension on my previous visit to the Midlands, that Piper's Row to Wolverhampton Station is on battery power, so that was funky. There seems to be no tram priority lights on the route, so it can take a while to do!

I've attached a handful of photos, and if the guy with a tripod taking photos/videos is reading this then apologies if I got in the way!

Attachments

• 3813E5F3-ED96-4A1F-BB1E-281B3608E37F.jpeg
    3813E5F3-ED96-4A1F-BB1E-281B3608E37F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 6C89429B-5BBE-41DD-BE35-6CCBF5EC5430.jpeg
    6C89429B-5BBE-41DD-BE35-6CCBF5EC5430.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
  • EC0071D4-3817-4CC0-ACC5-BF727C71964D.jpeg
    EC0071D4-3817-4CC0-ACC5-BF727C71964D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 75
  • E8FDFEAE-9371-4E00-8459-677D172BA616.jpeg
    E8FDFEAE-9371-4E00-8459-677D172BA616.jpeg