• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trams to Wolverhampton Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoMouse

Signals failed at 0600 this morning, trams currently only running as far as The Royal.

Reopened after about 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Two photos from the new Wolverhampton Station on the new extention today. Tram 37 did the honours for me whilst on my way home from college.

One to notice: They are announcing that you can change at Wolverhampton Station for the bus station which seems strange when they can announce it at Pipers Row instead because the bus station is on the doorstep literally.

Attachments

• 20230919_144355.jpg
    20230919_144355.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230919_144409.jpg
    20230919_144409.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 47

Sunil_P

Wanted to the extension yesterday (Sunday), but was put off by the West Midlands Metro website on Saturday saying there were no trams before midday Sunday, and only The Royal to Edgbaston after midday. Checked back on Sunday evening and it said there were no disruptions to the Metro!

Also noticed the West Midlands journey planner still lacks Pipers Row and the Railway Station tram stops!

PsychoMouse

West Midlands Metro website on Saturday saying there were no trams before midday Sunday, and only The Royal to Edgbaston after midday. Checked back on Sunday evening and it said there were no disruptions to the Metro!

I feel you misread. There's no service Royal-St Georges until late autumn. They were running to Wolverhampton Station after after midday.

Sunil_P

I feel you misread. There's no service Royal-St Georges until late autumn. They were running to Wolverhampton Station after after midday.
Nope, it definitely said "No metro Wolverhampton St Georges to Edgbaston till midday".

Also noticed the West Midlands journey planner still lacks Pipers Row and the Railway Station tram stops!

It's happening again:

Power Upgrade works at West Midlands Metro

Affected services:

Birmingham To Wolverhampton

Power Systems Upgrade
Essential works to upgrade our power systems will be completed in September and October. This means that there will be no trams from the start of service until midday on the following dates:

Sunday 1 October:
• From the start of service until 13.00, there will be no services between Wolverhampton Station and Edgbaston Village.
• From midday until the end of service, trams will operate between The Royal and Edgbaston Village only.

Metro tickets and passes will be accepted on:
• National Express bus service 79 between Wolverhampton and West Bromwich.
• National Express bus service 74 between West Bromwich and Birmingham.
• All National Express bus services between Colmore Row and Edgbaston Village.
• West Midlands Railway train services between Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

Should I just turn up at Wolverhampton station after 12.00 tomorrow and just hope for the best? (Alternatively, there's New Street and checking the Grand Central tram stop)

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
Had my first ever rides on the WM metro about 10 days ago. Brief thoughts:

- Popular. Sufficiently so that a higher frequency would seem to be in order.
- Hard to tell what the underlying frequency actually was, as there seemed to be a lot of bunching-up. 10 minutes? 12 minutes?
- Often so busy that the staff had trouble getting through the tram to collect fares (the 'Blackpool problem').
- Edgbaston section seemed significantly underused by comparison with the rest of the line, but was rather useful to me when it unexpectedly started raining :) and was a better option than walking the whole of Broad Street.
- Trams themselves seemed decent enough, though the information screens on the majority weern't relaying useful information (eg. what stop was next).

Overall, was reasonably impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.