• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyMich2018

I'd say there is no chance of 6 sets by December given the amount of work on them that is required. It's taken 8 months to get two sets into a fit state.
Maybe the 3 short sets can be used more? In pre Covid times weekdays had 2 in use (one diagram was only from around lunchtime onwards so not full day diagram). Now there's only one in use weekdays.don't think any were used weekends? At this rate by the time all LNER ones are in use the new units will be in service....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

It is.

Is that the sound of a can being kicked down the road?

Probably! They could have saved themselves the hassle of doing anither one, and just extended it until next May as it looks sure to be needed.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Given the delay will considerably shorten the time that the replacement sets will be used, and the escalating cost of making them fit for that short period, it does seem poor value for money given the fact that they are still non-compliant with accessibility regulations, just less so than the EMR sets. Or am I missing something?

DB

Given the delay will considerably shorten the time that the replacement sets will be used, and the escalating cost of making them fit for that short period, it does seem poor value for money given the fact that they are still non-compliant with accessibility regulations, just less so than the EMR sets. Or am I missing something?

Don't think you are missing anything! It was a DfT scheme, and presumably they don't want to lose face by abandoning it and sticking with the existing sets until May.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Maybe the 3 short sets can be used more? In pre Covid times weekdays had 2 in use (one diagram was only from around lunchtime onwards so not full day diagram). Now there's only one in use weekdays.don't think any were used weekends? At this rate by the time all LNER ones are in use the new units will be in service....
I don't think the short sets are in a very good state mechanically are they, which may explain why 2 are out of use.

Established Member
I don't think the short sets are in a very good state mechanically are they, which may explain why 2 are out of use.
It's probably more to do with room at Etches Park with 4 180s and a 170 along with the normal service it is easier to temporarily send them out the way at Barrow Hill like the 153s were if they are not required for a period of time.

theblackwatch

Established Member

You are right, only DY23 ever seems to get used (I assume there is only one diagram and a 222 covers if it isn't available). DY22 is stored at Barrow Hill, where is DY21 hiding?

Hairy Bear

You are right, only DY23 ever seems to get used (I assume there is only one diagram and a 222 covers if it isn't available). DY22 is stored at Barrow Hill, where is DY21 hiding?

Coaches are at E/park , without power cars ,but used as spares for the other 2 sets. Never been as a complete set since they arrived. Was supposed to be a standby set for the meridians.
The assumption that they are mechanically unreliable is untrue. They are more reliable now than they have ever been. Neville Hill has done alot of work on them, and I would have one of them over a Meridian anytime.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Could the six sets actually work the new half-hourly Corby-St Pancras services from December, allowing the 360s to be swapped in once available? This would also allow the Class 222/180 diagrams and amended timetable to be implemented as planned for the Nottingham/Sheffield services.

Tempest3K

Could the six sets actually work the new half-hourly Corby-St Pancras services from December, allowing the 360s to be swapped in once available? This would also allow the Class 222/180 diagrams and amended timetable to be implemented as planned for the Nottingham/Sheffield services.

That would introduce a load of headaches with getting sets back to Etches Park or Neville Hill for maintenance....

Established Member
Set NL56 has enter service this morning along with NL51 off Leeds. No VP power carsout today.

On Moderation
Set NL56 has enter service this morning along with NL51 off Leeds. No VP power carsout today.
43047/049 reported elsewhere as out on set NL03 starting on 1D13 would seem to contradict that.

On Moderation
I imagine EMR will be only be operating superior MTU traction by December.
I wouldn't venture that opinion anywhere near EMR's engineers, if I were you. The evidence of the last few months says the exact opposite, and is supported by the number of new users for the VP185 fleet who have said "no thanks" to the MTUs.

43 302

Established Member
I wouldn't venture that opinion anywhere near EMR's engineers, if I were you. The evidence of the last few months says the exact opposite, and is supported by the number of new users for the VP185 fleet who have said "no thanks" to the MTUs.
I did find that quite interesting, now that you mention it, how DATS and whoever it is that has 050 & 060 at the RTC have chosen VPs over the readily available MTUs. As for when they will be replaced, due to the impending timetable increase back to nine (?) sets in use per day, it might take a little longer for the VPs to go. Assuming the HSTs are withdrawn by May 2021, (which I highly doubt) it's possible a few VPs cling on until the end.

On Moderation
I did find that quite interesting, now that you mention it, how DATS and whoever it is that has 050 & 060 at the RTC have chosen VPs over the readily available MTUs. As for when they will be replaced, due to the impending timetable increase back to nine (?) sets in use per day, it might take a little longer for the VPs to go. Assuming the HSTs are withdrawn by May 2021, (which I highly doubt) it's possible a few VPs cling on until the end.
Colas have 43050/060 for assessment. LSL have also gone for VP185s.

DB

Colas have 43050/060 for assessment. LSL have also gone for VP185s.

Is any of the VP185 fleet now not provisionally spoken for? Apart from the two ex-LNER ones which presumably will be used for spares.

Mugby

Established Member
One of the ex-LNER sets was on Etches Park today (Saturday) with only one full First Class coach, i.e. 7-cars instead of 8.

Does anyone know if it's being operated in this formation?

Established Member
One of the ex-LNER sets was on Etches Park today (Saturday) with only one full First Class coach, i.e. 7-cars instead of 8.

It's set NL56 and has been in service like that since it entered serivce around 2 weeks ago. Presumably the second first class coach is not ready for service yet.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Yes, it ran as the earlier of the 2 Skegness runs on that saturday, yesterday. I guess with general levels of passenger numbers it can easily cope with being one 1st class carriage down, and still be put to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.