• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express decide not to use MK3's on limited services

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
That is just not workable.

Why not? Some of us have HST and Loco hauled experience from Provincial/RR and ICXC/VXC days and TPE used to operate loco hauled prior to the inteoduction of 158s. Some of those drivers and conductors are still with TPE while others have transferred in from 3rd rail land....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
No reason why two rakes of t-a-t 68s and Mk3s can't operate on TPE until 31st December 2019, assuming there are 68s available.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
No reason why two rakes of t-a-t 68s and Mk3s can't operate on TPE until 31st December 2019, assuming there are 68s available.

Yeah, 19 of them apparently. Only 13 needed for the mk5 takes plus 4 for the mk3 leaving 2 spare/maintenance.

Think it was always intended for the mk3s to stick around for a while but they were meant to be in service long before now

syorksdeano

Likewise I know what I'll likely be bashing over the winter.
You need to stop it. Apparently it will make you go blind (as the old saying goes) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

As for the photos it actually looks quite smart without the yellow end

Blindtraveler

Established Member
OhHo. I would appear to have caused a certain amount of totally unintentional amusement.
Unsure if to appologise for taking the thread off topic or laugh along!

To clear up 2 main points: i'm already blind so whilst posters concerns are appreciated its to late!
To rephrase my earlier posting for the sake of clarity if the TPX MK3 sets do indeed enter traffic in December I and doubtless many others will enjoy traveling over the winter months when there is often less rail interest going on.

Glad to have been of service in terms of a cheep laugh!

BMIFlyer

Further update:

I can let you know about the December timetable change soon. Plans are still being worked on (as Northern may still require 3 class 185 units until at least May - TBC).

The plan was originally to route all our Liverpool services via Chat Moss from December as most of us know.

It's possible this will indeed happen as from December I am in the belief that the Southport to Airport northern service will move to another destination (won't serve the airport) and will be replaced by a Liverpool to Airport via Warrington Central service.

Like I say, I shall keep an eye on things as they update.

Back to the loco hauled sets, crew training for the required depots is confirmed, and they have been informed of this.

Regarding the 68's being used, they will be the unmodified ones still in DRS colours. They TPE livery 68's will only be used with the MkV stock when it arrives. This is confirmed as well - protects the corporate identity in some respects.

The operation should be similar to the one we ran to Scarborough a few years ago where we were tasking the guards with announcing that the train was on hire / what its differences were, door safety rules, etc.

That's all for now.

PS: I am limited with what I can write on here so bear with me if I can not answer questions - but I can silence the wibble if I have correct info ;)

Bantamzen

Established Member
Further update:

I can let you know about the December timetable change soon. Plans are still being worked on (as Northern may still require 3 class 185 units until at least May - TBC).

The plan was originally to route all our Liverpool services via Chat Moss from December as most of us know.

It's possible this will indeed happen as from December I am in the belief that the Southport to Airport northern service will move to another destination (won't serve the airport) and will be replaced by a Liverpool to Airport via Warrington Central service.

I was under the impression that the Scarborough-Liverpool were now going to move over to Chat Moss in May 2018? Obviously you've got more up to date information, so do we know if when it does move over if it will stop between Victoria & Liverpool & if so where? Its just that I'm a semi-regular traveller between Leeds & Warrington (getting a family member picking us up from there), and although Northern will eventually have the service operating between Leeds & Chester via Bank Quay, it could mean a significant gap in direct services and even when its closed the Connect services are likely to take considerably longer, so I'm trying to weigh up options. I don't usually have issues with connecting services, but we usually have luggage with us when we travel to Cheshire so the fewer changes the better (we already travel from Baildon)!

notlob.divad

Established Member
I was under the impression that the Scarborough-Liverpool were now going to move over to Chat Moss in May 2018? Obviously you've got more up to date information, so do we know if when it does move over if it will stop between Victoria & Liverpool & if so where? Its just that I'm a semi-regular traveller between Leeds & Warrington (getting a family member picking us up from there), and although Northern will eventually have the service operating between Leeds & Chester via Bank Quay, it could mean a significant gap in direct services and even when its closed the Connect services are likely to take considerably longer, so I'm trying to weigh up options. I don't usually have issues with connecting services, but we usually have luggage with us when we travel to Cheshire so the fewer changes the better (we already travel from Baildon)!

When TPE run both Liv<->Man services over Chat Moss they will replace the path of the Northern Liv<->Man Air service. They are therefore required to pick up the calls of that service currently being St. Helens Junction and Newton-Le-Willows. Whether they do this with both stations on 1 service (Scarborough) or 1 station on each service is still not confirmed.

Equally there is also still a consultation out suggesting that TPE may choose to serve Lea Green instead of St.Helens junction, a proposal I am fully supportive of. I would equally like to see the name changed to St. Helens South as it has much better provision for onward transport both public and private.

Bantamzen

Established Member
When TPE run both Liv<->Man services over Chat Moss they will replace the path of the Northern Liv<->Man Air service. They are therefore required to pick up the calls of that service currently being St. Helens Junction and Newton-Le-Willows. Whether they do this with both stations on 1 service (Scarborough) or 1 station on each service is still not confirmed.

Equally there is also still a consultation out suggesting that TPE may choose to serve Lea Green instead of St.Helens junction, a proposal I am fully supportive of. I would equally like to see the name changed to St. Helens South as it has much better provision for onward transport both public and private.

So Newton-le-Willows will be one call? That at least gives up the option of either a pick-up there, or timings allowing connect onto a Chester / Wales service for Bank Quary.

CosherB

Established Member
Further update:

Like I say, I shall keep an eye on things as they update.

Back to the loco hauled sets, crew training for the required depots is confirmed, and they have been informed of this.

Regarding the 68's being used, they will be the unmodified ones still in DRS colours. They TPE livery 68's will only be used with the MkV stock when it arrives. This is confirmed as well - protects the corporate identity in some respects.

The operation should be similar to the one we ran to Scarborough a few years ago where we were tasking the guards with announcing that the train was on hire / what its differences were, door safety rules, etc.

That's all for now.

PS: I am limited with what I can write on here so bear with me if I can not answer questions - but I can silence the wibble if I have correct info ;)

Thanks for the info. I find it refreshing to have a source of wibble-free gen on here for a change! ;)

Established Member
The Liverpool - Scarboro's are shown as being routed via Warrington in the December LTP. Whilst not impossible, it's unlikely there will be major change to the LTP this late on especially if other TOCs need to be involved.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thanks to BMIFlyer for his/her input and indeed all others who post accurate gen. I for one appreciate it so please don't be put off by anyone being rude; those who are thankful far outweigh those who aren't.

notlob.divad

Established Member
So Newton-le-Willows will be one call? That at least gives up the option of either a pick-up there, or timings allowing connect onto a Chester / Wales service for Bank Quary.

Or once the chord opens you may have a semi-sensible connection at Oxford Road onto either the Northern Connect or the EMT.

BMIFlyer

The Liverpool - Scarboro's are shown as being routed via Warrington in the December LTP. Whilst not impossible, it's unlikely there will be major change to the LTP this late on especially if other TOCs need to be involved.

Correct. Just had a look at the way I wrote the post.

What I should have mentioned is that I will update on the mark 3 stock service entry date.

The December timetable recast / route alteration is now happening in May 18 as has been mentioned before.

Lots of issues to fix for December at the minute with Northern having a rolling stock shortage.

Camden

Established Member
Why not? Some of us have HST and Loco hauled experience from Provincial/RR and ICXC/VXC days and TPE used to operate loco hauled prior to the inteoduction of 158s. Some of those drivers and conductors are still with TPE while others have transferred in from 3rd rail land....
The number of people getting on and off, having to make sure all the doors are closed before the train leaves amid the chaos that is some of the stations.

If the aim is to connect to Delays Central then it will work, but not between Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

xotGD

Established Member
The number of people getting on and off, having to make sure all the doors are closed before the train leaves amid the chaos that is some of the stations.

If the aim is to connect to Delays Central then it will work, but not between Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

The cranks in the vestibules will take care of the doors.

There won't be any 68's available.

68006 & 007 - Scotrail
008 to 015 - Chiltern
019 to 034 - TPE

leaves 001-005 & 016-018 a total of 8 for other traffic, 8 are required for flask workings so not sure what is going to happen there unless more are ordered.

The Mk3 sets should be replaced by Mk5A's when they arrive in the summer.

On Moderation

68006 & 007 - Scotrail
008 to 015 - Chiltern
019 to 034 - TPE

leaves 001-005 & 016-018 a total of 8 for other traffic, 8 are required for flask workings so not sure what is going to happen there unless more are ordered.
Given that only two 88s are required daily currently, there ought to be at least 6 88s available for flask traffic.

capital12

68006 & 007 - Scotrail
008 to 015 - Chiltern
019 to 034 - TPE

The Mk3 sets should be replaced by Mk5A's when they arrive in the summer.

I didn't think 033/034 were for TPE, hence why they have full livery

MCR247

Established Member
Are they Chiltern "spares" with door controls etc fitted but in full livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.