• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express decide not to use MK3's on limited services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
I've read elsewhere that the set has a number of 'significant problems' that need to be rectified. Sounds like it needs a bit more than fresh paint and carpets ....

GW43125

Established Member
I've read elsewhere that the set has a number of 'significant problems' that need to be rectified. Sounds like it needs a bit more than fresh paint and carpets ....

Looks like someone needs...
*insert image of "percussive maintenance device" here as it sends the formatting well and truly out the window*

Last edited:

michael74

If it has not been moved since I went there early Febuary then yes its possible to get a pic from a passing train

Indeed Laira, my Dyslexia often gets the better of me. Yes, right next to the mainline, a lot of trees and shrubs in front though

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Dunno. Seemingly TPE management cant make their minds up. T+T vs DVT? will we wont we? Newcastle? Scarborough? Anywhere?...

dk1

Veteran Member
DVT 82126 is an out & out disaster. GA gave up with the darn thing as its reliability wasn't a patch on ours. Never really needed it but tried to keep the Pretendolino intact.

AndyNLondon

Eh? ......
"percussive maintenance" means the "give it a good thump" approach to fixing things, if that helps work out what a "percussive maintenance device" is... :D

(Personally, I'm of the "if it moves and it shouldn't, gaffer tape it; if it doesn't move and it should, spray on more WD40" school of DIY bodging!)

Darandio

Established Member
Supposed to be delivered to TPE in September.

Yes, September 2016. Well, kind of, in terms of readiness.....

38. Provision of additional Mark III coaches

38.1 In accordance with its obligations in paragraph 1 of Schedule 1.7 (The Train Fleet) the Franchisee shall enter into a Rolling Stock Lease in relation to ten Mark III coaches using all reasonable endeavours to ensure that all such rolling stock shall be capable of unrestricted passenger carrying service by no later than 1 April 2017.

38.2 By no later than 30 September 2016, the Franchisee shall in relation to the vehicles referred to in paragraph 38.1 overhaul and refurbish them and form them into two sets of coaches each providing 280 standard class seats, 44 first class seats and a standing capacity of an additional 140 passengers. In carrying out such overhaul and refurbishment works the Franchisee shall incur operational expenditure of not less than 15.

38.3 The Franchisee shall ensure that sufficient appropriate locomotives are available to it to enable the two sets of Mark III coaches to be available for unrestricted passenger carrying service by no later than 30 September 2016.

WatcherZero

Established Member
September 2017 is what TPE have always been working to, should be two months ahead of first mk5 rake being received. Possible that the 2016 in the franchise agreement is a typo.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Internally I have always understokd it as september 2016 and massively delayed as a result of GA being late in release. But as the rolling stock plans and deployment have changed numerous times over the last few months no one pays any attention anymore

On Moderation
Internally I have always understokd it as september 2016 and massively delayed as a result of GA being late in release. But as the rolling stock plans and deployment have changed numerous times over the last few months no one pays any attention anymore

Which is being a bit economical with the truth, as the set has been at Laira for some time now and WorstGroup have done precisely nothing with it in that time.

59CosG95

Established Member
Which is being a bit economical with the truth, as the set has been at Laira for some time now and WorstGroup have done precisely nothing with it in that time.

Perhaps the fact that 70803 was being repaired a the time meant that the Pretendolino/Pretendabellio/Pretendine Express rake never had a window to do it; then again, I have no idea on staff output/morale to do 3rd party work at Laira.

CosherB

Established Member
Perhaps the fact that 70803 was being repaired a the time meant that the Pretendolino/Pretendabellio/Pretendine Express rake never had a window to do it; then again, I have no idea on staff output/morale to do 3rd party work at Laira.

What's 'morale' got anything to do with it?! lol

CosherB

Established Member

Is the fact that the two DRS DVTs had remedial cosmetic work started at Loram, then stopped and finally send to Long Marston, got anything linked with the Pretendolino impasse?

pemma

Veteran Member
September 2017 is what TPE have always been working to, should be two months ahead of first mk5 rake being received. Possible that the 2016 in the franchise agreement is a typo.

According to Porterbrook 10 x of their mk3 carriages are already being leased to TPE on a lease which expires in December 2019. TPE may have been subleasing them back to Anglia?

The original plan was for TPE to have the mk3s in regular service by September but to have them refurbished and available for special events (like the Grand National) by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.