• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express decide not to use MK3's on limited services

Status
Not open for further replies.

daikilo

Established Member
I expect the driving factor on station dwell times will be the manual closing of doors, especially at stations without platform staff. It must be a couple of decades since the transpenine services have been power_door only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is entitled 'Transpennine Express to use Mark 3s on limited services'. We do seem to be rather off topic talking about door positions on Multiple Units...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Good effort, nice to see confirmation it is finally moving....

It is 1 or 2 5xmk3 sets they plan to use for driver training/extra capacity?

Clip

Established Member
Here it is on Dawlish wall
P1000543-1080x675.jpg

Credit http://new.dawlishbeach.com/2017/10/latest-non-passenger-trains/

Good effort, nice to see confirmation it is finally moving....

It is 1 or 2 5xmk3 sets they plan to use for driver training/extra capacity?
2 sets however they are supposed to be formed as Cl68 + 4/5xMk3's + Cl68
The other 5 coaches at Laira are undergoing a C6 overhaul and once those are complete the 5 which are now at Crewe will return to Laira for the same treatment.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
I take it Greater Anglia don't mind being a coach down? How did that end up in the consist?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
The other 5 coaches at Laira are undergoing a C6 overhaul and once those are complete the 5 which are now at Crewe will return to Laira for the same treatment.

What amazes me is the fact that those MK3s have been down at Laira for around twelve months or so and have had plenty of time to have had exams on them but only now when there needed do such exams get done and then great expense to send this first rake back to be done as well.

I hope they were kept on a shore supply whilst at Plymouth Laira!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TPE have leased them the whole time. Why not press them into service sooner? Benefits driver and TM training, benefits the punter with increase of capacity, benefits maintenance and takes pressure off 185s...

of course that would be common sense....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
TPE have leased them the whole time. Why not press them into service sooner? Benefits driver and TM training, benefits the punter with increase of capacity, benefits maintenance and takes pressure off 185s...

Lets see what happens in due course.

fabs

Have get permission from ASLEF first :rolleyes:

D1009

Established Member
Presumably platform staff will need training in despatch of slam door stock as well, or is it all self despatch on TPE?

LowLevel

Established Member
Mostly self dispatch I believe - they use Northern staff at Liverpool Lime Street Manchester Oxford Road and their own agency dispatchers at Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds. You would however assume they'll factor suitable timings in.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Mostly self dispatch I believe - they use Northern staff at Liverpool Lime Street Manchester Oxford Road and their own agency dispatchers at Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds. You would however assume they'll factor suitable timings in.

you are quite correct.
northern staff also utilised at Manchester Victoria. Occasionally the Duty Operations Manager at York will despatch trains if required.

Geeves

Established Member
Everyone despatching at Victoria is trained up on slam doors already so no issues there :)

D1009

Established Member
I went past Laira today and can confirm that half of the Pretendolino set is still there in the sidings parallel to the main line, and a friend who lives in Crewe tells me the other half is there.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Passed Crewe LNWR again today and that set of 5 MK3s are still there on the first road nearest the Up Fast line and as far as i can tell have not moved since arrival.

Looking at the bogies on those MK3s, looks like they all have recently been refurbished so may not need to return to Laira!

Passed Crewe LNWR again today and that set of 5 MK3s are still there on the first road nearest the Up Fast line and as far as i can tell have not moved since arrival.

Looking at the bogies on those MK3s, looks like they all have recently been refurbished so may not need to return to Laira!
They will be returning to Laira, not just bogies that need work.
Anyhow paths are in for next weeks training trips
2 x 68's top and tail with 5 x MK3's.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K ... 3/advanced

sluf

anybody know if these are running today and what 2 x class 68s involved.
just wondering if it is worth nipping down to preston station this lunchtime

cheers if anyone knows

anybody know if these are running today and what 2 x class 68s involved.
just wondering if it is worth nipping down to preston station this lunchtime

cheers if anyone knows
68020 & 022

AndrewE

Established Member
Strange that RTT shows all these as electric-hauled... I had assumed they were for driver training on the diesels (as they seem to be.) Why the Electric loco / 245 Tonnes timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.