• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This is in accordance with what many posters have assumed but I think it may be the first time it has been stated as fact by an authoritative source.

Well, 2nd ;)

That's good to hear. Though 6 miles implies that the whole line from the Penistone junction to the tunnel portal (~7 miles) will be three tracks and not four.

Yes, three tracks. Two tracks much more useful uphill for obvious reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CAF397

Referring to my observation regarding new TPWS and AWS equipment appearing between Morley Tunnel and Dewsbury, an intreguing development spotted earlier this morning.

In the Down platform there appears to be a TPWS trainstop at the Huddersfield end of the platform.

This leads me down the road of potentially a fixed red aspect at the end of the platform for Leeds turnbacks, when Thornhill-Heaton Lodge Jn gets rebuilt?

themiller

The steep upwards grade means it's got more value as a primarily uphill loop for freights to trundle up and keep out of the passengers way. I suspect all 3 lines are good candidates to get Bi-Di signalling though, for delay recovery as well as operational flexibility.
Isn’t the line getting etcs? If so, wouldn’t this give Bi-Di as part of it?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Isn’t the line getting etcs? If so, wouldn’t this give Bi-Di as part of it?
I can't answer that one, I'm afraid. I only had a social association with TRU.

My understanding is that were ETCS is fitted, the Bi-Di is such a small additional cost it's almost always worth including it. (Essentially, it's the cost of a few marker boards and the coding in the interlocking). It does not autmoatically come with it though.

AL1875

Been away from this thread for a while. What's the current state of play around the TRU?

I believe that wires are going up between Colton to Church Fenton and Man Vic to Stalybridge.

What about wires between Stalybridge and Church Fenton? Do we have any indication on a timescale for that?

Another question I had was around the total time saving across the route from Manchester to York in terms of linespeed increases and other means and where these would occur. Does anyone know if this info is in the public domain?

Apologies for all of that.

Grumpy

The steep upwards grade means it's got more value as a primarily uphill loop for freights to trundle up and keep out of the passengers way.
What freight?
I wonder what the cost of putting this additional track in would cost per freight train that actually runs

snowball

Established Member
Been away from this thread for a while. What's the current state of play around the TRU?

I believe that wires are going up between Colton to Church Fenton and Man Vic to Stalybridge.

What about wires between Stalybridge and Church Fenton? Do we have any indication on a timescale for that?
The project is split into several sections (some of which seem to be still at a fairly early stage of planning) and may be spread over a large number of years.

The good news is that the Transport & Works Order for the Huddersfield to Westtown (Dewsbury) section, which includes a new flyover at Ravensthorpe and four-tracking between there and Hudds, was approved in the summer, and the main works on it will be starting soon.

The Integrated Rail Plan for the Midlands and North, published almost a year ago, included the last-but-one government's proposals for HS2 and NPR. NPR, coming from Manchester on a new alignment, would join TRU near Marsden.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Reposted on the Don Coffey Facebook group.

To the best of my knowledge the station will be shifted a few-hundred towards Leeds to be on a section of track with a shallower curve,
Interesting that they are essentially building two new platforms at Morley on a curve. Whereas approx 1 mile away (as the bird flies) they are building the new White Rose (elephant?) station in a commercially unattractive location in order to avoid building on a curve.

Network Rail are now consulting on the Leeds - Micklefield section of TRU.[

Barrowby Lane bridleway crossing to be closed and a stepped and ramped footbridge to be built
The proposal for Barrowby Lane seems to consist of both a ramped section and a separate section with steps.
If you are providing ramps why do you need to provide steps as well?

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
It's other TPE trains slowing other TPE trains so even with no freight it's going to be really useful for overtakes. Especially if it can be used in both up and down directions

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
AIUI, the route from Man Vic to Standedge Tunnel W will be using Series 2 (i.e. Bonomi) equipment, with Standedge Tunnel E to Huddersfield, Huddersfield to Leeds, Leeds to Micklefield & Micklefield to Church Fenton using SICAT equipment as per York - Church Fenton.

This is as per the request of the works delivery units for each route (so I've heard); the NW works delivery team want to stick to S2, while the N&E works delivery team would prefer SICAT instead of a SICAT/S2 mix.
(Interestingly enough, the CIG flythroughs of Huddersfield - Leeds seem to show S2 equipment, probably because it's in the "W" programmes rather than the "E" programmes. The TWAO docs for Huddersfield - Dewsbury certainly show SICAT being used...

8 months late, I know, but I'm assuming that inside the Standedge tunnel, overhead conductor rail (like what's used on the Severn tunnel and parts of the Thameslink core) will be used?

td97

Established Member
8 months late, I know, but I'm assuming that inside the Standedge tunnel, overhead conductor rail (like what's used on the Severn tunnel and parts of the Thameslink core) will be used?
No. It was over-sold by the manufacturer at the time it was used on those projects and will likely never be used in a tunnel on the UK rail network again. It's so problematic NR are investigating its removal from the Severn tunnel, to be replaced with conventional wiring.

snowball

Established Member
No. It was over-sold by the manufacturer at the time it was used on those projects and will likely never be used in a tunnel on the UK rail network again. It's so problematic NR are investigating its removal from the Severn tunnel, to be replaced with conventional wiring.
That's very interesting. I didn't know that before (though I did know that it's not the panacea that many posters on here treat it as, tending to suggest it as a solution before they've seen a precise statement of the problem).

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Really?
Sources for this please? Interested to know what the problems are

Nottingham59

Established Member
Sources for this please?
This has part of the story: https://www.railjournal.com/infrast...ed-to-complete-severn-tunnel-electrification/

"The 25kV ac system, which uses 1400 aluminium structures bolted to the tunnel roof to carry an aluminium rail that holds a copper contact wire, was installed during a six-week closure of the tunnel in 2016. However, an inspection of the system a year later revealed that accelerated corrosion was occurring"

Last edited by a moderator:

jonesy3001

Established Member
This is interesting, works over the new year period around Morley, white rose and batley.
Also overnight works between victoria and stalybridge will resume next week.

We will be installing new track and better drainage to improve reliability and supporting West Yorkshire Combined Authority and Leeds City Council to enable the build of the new White Rose Station.
TPE will continue to run two trains per hour between Leeds and Huddersfield via Wakefield.
Northern will divert the Leeds – Wigan service via Bradford Interchange with rail replacement buses to connect into services on the Calder Valley.
Stations between Huddersfield and Leeds will be served by bus replacement.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The article in #5956 doesn't say that at all.
It says the situation in the Severn Tunnel is unique (salt water corrosion) which is unlikely to occur in the TRU tunnels.
It also says the aluminium upgrade was successful.
If it works in the Gotthard/Ceneri base tunnels it should be good enough for TRU.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
As long as the Copper at no time comes in contact with the Aluminium as you would have the mother of all bimetallic couples. If you are interested I will give all the calculations.

EDIT……..Just re-read the article as recommended by @LNW-GW Joint. They changed to Al contact wire away from Cu to prevent the galvanic corrosion.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's very interesting. I didn't know that before (though I did know that it's not the panacea that many posters on here treat it as, tending to suggest it as a solution before they've seen a precise statement of the problem).
I'm pretty sure I've read from several informed sources and members on here that the main reason to go for a bar rather than a wire (namely restricted clearances) isn't a factor with Standedge anyway.

matacaster

On Moderation
What freight?
I wonder what the cost of putting this additional track in would cost per freight train that actually runs
If you have a look at the M62 with its procession of lorries, you might conclude that there is some potential for movement by rail of some goods. However, the presently restrictive loading gauge and lack of paths prevents much of that traffic being carried.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There was some talk of Standedge being unsuitable for electrification, when they were making excuses not to electrify it, but this turned out to be a load of old flannel.

Halish Railway

Established Member
There was some talk of Standedge being unsuitable for electrification, when they were making excuses not to electrify it, but this turned out to be a load of old flannel.
Supposedly quite the opposite!

On the topic of tunnels, once Morley station has been relocated in a year’s time will the linespeed through the area be increased at the same time, or will they wait until electrification works on Morley tunnel are complete?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If I'm remembering right, it's a tunnel just East of Stalybridge that's the "difficult" one, and this got misconstrued as Standedge being particularly problematic- probably because of the length.

Morley is probably more of a conundrum for electrification, the bridge immediately adjacent to it by the station gives a false impression of the size of the tunnel bore.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Supposedly quite the opposite!

On the topic of tunnels, once Morley station has been relocated in a year’s time will the linespeed through the area be increased at the same time, or will they wait until electrification works on Morley tunnel are complete?

Ah yes, I had no idea Morley station was going to be relocated. There's not much to relocate !

The one just east of Stalybridge seems a bit like a long bridge, but it is very short.
If I'm remembering right, it's a tunnel just East of Stalybridge that's the "difficult" one, and this got misconstrued as Standedge being particularly problematic- probably because of the length.

Morley is probably more of a conundrum for electrification, the bridge immediately adjacent to it by the station gives a false impression of the size of the tunnel bore.

That's interesting. A floor lowering perhaps.

Revaulx

Ah yes, I had no idea Morley station was going to be relocated. There's not much to relocate !

The one just east of Stalybridge seems a bit like a long bridge, but it is very short.
No it isn’t. Are you confusing it with the one a bit to the east of Ashton station?

There are actually two tunnels between Stalybridge and Mossley that look difficult, both being curved and having limited clearances. Scout Tunnel is the shorter, and nearer to Mossley. Presumably it can’t be opened out as it has a house on top.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Wires have gone up on the ashton line up to berry brow crossing, wonder if they're doing the rest during this weeks overnight closures,this was posted on LinkedIn.
The TRU OLE delivery team had a successful Weekend completing all wiring associated with Berry Brow level crossing, achieving this in one shift (ahead of schedule) has enabled us to cancel a planned road closure for Tuesday reducing the disruption to the local community.