• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

ewanh723

I was similarly impressed with how White Elephant station is coming along when I went through on Friday. As much as I think it's a silly project, you can't knock the people tasked with making it happen.
Do you men white rose near cottingley? If so i can agree too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mr Mean

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A general question... why aren't new stations built with more cover from the elements?

How much more would it cost to build a canopy that covered an area near the footbridge?

The bus stop shelters get full very quickly, are used for anti social behaviour and are generally not fit for purpose on even moderately busy stations.
Cost will certainly be a factor, it could well be a case of "build it to the minimum standard, or it won't get built at all". Even a basic station costs a rather stupid amount, so there's no sense in "gold plating" if that means the next station project is less likely to get the go-ahead. Each platform at Morley will have two shelters (or at least that's how it looked when I went through last Friday) due to the increased length, and as they've been designed with the station itself I'd assume that the CCTV coverage will be better than the existing platforms.

Though nearby White Rose seems to have more substantial shelter. Possibly because some of the funding comes from external sources, possibly because of its position at the top of an embankment where it'll be more exposed to the elements.

zwk500

Veteran Member
A general question... why aren't new stations built with more cover from the elements?

How much more would it cost to build a canopy that covered an area near the footbridge?

The bus stop shelters get full very quickly, are used for anti social behaviour and are generally not fit for purpose on even moderately busy stations.
This is very much a guess, but I wonder if CCTV visibility has anything to do with it?

59CosG95

Established Member

Lots of the newer shelters are specified "anti-vandal", although the fitness for purpose (or lack thereof) I can't help but agree on.
Canopies are a bit of a headache from an OLE perspective though, as earthing and bonding needs to be taken into account, along with isolations mandated for cleaning (which often leads to said canopies resembling Eddie & Richie's flat in Bottom as far as cleanliness goes). Measures to prevent public access to the canopy, and thence the OLE are also paramount.
As @zwk500 says, CCTV visibility is another likely reason why canopies aren't used for smaller stations.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With regard to the shelters, these days providing adequate shade should be more of a priority. The Huddersfield-bound platform at Batley currently provides no shaded areas at all on sunny days, as even the shelter has a transparent roof. I do hope the upcoming improvements will address this.

WAO

A train service where platform bus shelters are sufficient for the traffic should probably be replaced by buses.

A passenger flow meriting a train rather than a bus should have a one or two car length canopy over the platform waiting area. A modern steel frame and sheeted roof would be cheap and built with clearances in mind.

I notice that many stations in the affluent South of England have retained canopies whereas quite large stations in the regions have been shorn ruthlessly.

All right for the plebs to get roasted or wet then.

WAO

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A train service where platform bus shelters are sufficient for the traffic should probably be replaced by buses.

A passenger flow meriting a train rather than a bus should have a one or two car length canopy over the platform waiting area. A modern steel frame and sheeted roof would be cheap and built with clearances in mind.

I notice that many stations in the affluent South of England have retained canopies whereas quite large stations in the regions have been shorn ruthlessly.

All right for the plebs to get roasted or wet then.

WAO
So are these North of England stations unsustainable, or should we be writing angry letters to our MPs about being treated like plebs? You seem to be arguing both sides.

Currently on board the 1202 from Batley to Huddersfield. Had a rare experience of being overtaken by a light-engine class 70 while on the Up fast line near Mirfield. Also a rare call at Mirfield platform 2, don't know if all the Batley runs are doing so or if this was a one-off due to the class 70 move.

WAO

I'm saying that they deserve better as the bus shelters aren't sufficient.

Most stations will have more than c5 passengers per train, particularly in the peaks.

Our Reading bus shelters can't cope with the waiting bus passengers - why should they be deemed suitable for station platforms?

WAO

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As suggested above, an open platform with a couple of transparent shelters can be covered by a couple of CCTV cameras. If an opaque roof is provided on the shelter you'll need a third camera to cover that. If the entire platform is covered you'll need multiple cameras, as you can't stick them up on a pole to give a wider field of vision.

Without dragging this too far off topic, the maintenance involved in a proper canopy is quite different too. Just a regular inspection of a platform canopy tends to need the nearest line blocked with a formal Like Blockage, plus all other the access (normally ropes) and therefore safety requirements.

Mr Mean

Thanks for all the replies to my question regarding canopies.

Personally I wish any new station could be built "properly" with canopy and solid structure waiting room.

The stations are likely to last 100 years or more so an additional £1m or whatever it costs over the life of the structure is almost insignificant. In accounting terms this cost could be capitalised so the actual cost of building the asset is put against is estimated life; £1m over 100 years is £10k per year.

Back on topic.... in terms of the route upgrade, once Batley, Morley and White Rose are completed, is the next stage Ravensthorpe and surrounding areas? Driving past there the other day, there is construction going on relating to the railway around the station and road bridge. I'm not sure what is going on but there is a fair bit of machinery and excavations taking place.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Reports are emerging that "a new station in Bradford" will be announced next week in the DfT response to criticisms about the TRU/NPR project.
Meanwhile, Merriman said proposals for a new station in Bradford would be announced next week, when the Department for Transport responds to select committee criticisms of its integrated rail plan. The plan, announced in 2021, outraged northern leaders by missing out the city in downgraded high-speed connections.

GardenRail

Less appealing for little scrotes to hang around causing a nuisance maybe.....

Batley Lad

Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing.

Just a few photos of the new footbridge and surround - not long now before whole lot is finished!

The first four are taken from the Adwalton embankment, with the last two showing the now redundant Lady Anne crossing and signal box.

IMG_4612.jpegIMG_4610.jpegIMG_4611.jpegIMG_4609.jpegIMG_4613.jpegIMG_4614.jpeg

All photos taken from within the opened walking area.

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 152

sjpowermac

Established Member
Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing.

Just a few photos of the new footbridge and surround - not long now before whole lot is finished!

The first four are taken from the Adwalton embankment, with the last two showing the now redundant Lady Anne crossing and signal box.

View attachment 137904View attachment 137905View attachment 137906View attachment 137907View attachment 137908View attachment 137909

All photos taken from within the opened walking area.
Some excellent views there, the bridge and approach certainly opens up some fine photographic opportunities.

I wonder when the signal box will be removed? If it’s over night then you’ve got some unique views of it!

As previously mentioned, thank you ever so much for documenting these changes so thoroughly and with such excellent images.

WesternBiker

Wow. As it takes shape, you realise what an enormous project this has been. One hopes that future users appreciate what has been done.

Halish Railway

Established Member
This may have been covered in another TPE thread, but it looks like tomorrow’s York to Dewsbury (all stations from Leeds) have been replaced by buses.

Is this due to TPE’s ongoing issues or various works overrunning?

grdc

This may have been covered in another TPE thread, but it looks like tomorrow’s York to Dewsbury (all stations from Leeds) have been replaced by buses.

The line from Leeds to Huddersfield was already planned to be fully closed tomorrow. No trains through at all. Due to the works at Morley, Batley and Mirfield.

Having had a peek at Morley this evening, I'm a little worried that this station is not going to be ready to safely receive passengers on Monday morning.

The footbridge has massive holes in it. The stairs have not arrived and the lift shafts have not been built, leaving gaps on both sides where these will be installed. Even with planks and yellow tape there, surely they won't let passengers up there?

The only way to access the westbound platform is via this bridge.

The old westbound platform is gone.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow, but suspect Morley will not be open on Monday.

Can't quite get my head around the mentality of building the temporary staircases at all. Why not just have scheduled the delivery of the permanent staircases more logically?

Then, I don't understand building a brand new station and not putting the OHLE masts and their supports/piles in whilst you were building and surfacing the platforms.

No work done today at White Rose either, despite the line being closed. More super logical scheduling there.

43095john

Was never planned to run today, its next Sunday that there is York - Dewsbury services

SuperNova

L
The line from Leeds to Huddersfield was already planned to be fully closed tomorrow. No trains through at all. Due to the works at Morley, Batley and Mirfield.

Having had a peek at Morley this evening, I'm a little worried that this station is not going to be ready to safely receive passengers on Monday morning.

The footbridge has massive holes in it. The stairs have not arrived and the lift shafts have not been built, leaving gaps on both sides where these will be installed. Even with planks and yellow tape there, surely they won't let passengers up there?

The only way to access the westbound platform is via this bridge.

The old westbound platform is gone.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow, but suspect Morley will not be open on Monday.

Can't quite get my head around the mentality of building the temporary staircases at all. Why not just have scheduled the delivery of the permanent staircases more logically?

Then, I don't understand building a brand new station and not putting the OHLE masts and their supports/piles in whilst you were building and surfacing the platforms.

No work done today at White Rose either, despite the line being closed. More super logical scheduling there.
Because Morley isn’t opening on Monday as a fully finished station. The lift shafts are apparently going in later in the summer and there will be temporary stairs in place from tomorrow.

59CosG95

Established Member
Meanwhile, further east:

Work has now started to erect a temporary footbridge at Garforth to allow the old bridge to be recovered.

Garforth Station Access for All starting to take shape. Temporary bridge now in place and will be open to the public in a little over a week to allow the existing non-compliant bridge to be removed. There's still work to do to get it ready but it'll be open on time.
It's always a source of extra pride to be involved in a local project.
1687698870824.jpeg1687698870879.jpeg1687698872618.jpeg1687698870655.jpeg

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Press release

For nine days engineers on Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) have worked around the clock, bringing passengers closer to a fully accessible station.

From 17 June to 25 June, engineers completed a number of major upgrades at Morley Station which included the construction of new platforms, the initiation of old platform demolition, a full signalling recontrol to Network Rail’s York Rail Operating Centre and the installation of a brand-new footbridge.

Despite challenging weather conditions and soaring temperatures, the next phase of upgrades was successfully completed on time, with the railway re-opened earlier this morning.

Sarah Thompson, Sponsor for Transpennine Route Upgrade said, "I want to say a big thank you to passengers for bearing with us over the last nine days as our engineers completed these major upgrades at Morley station.

We understand that there is no right time to complete work that impacts rail travel, so really appreciate the patience and support of passengers while it has taken place.

Despite the very warm weather, our engineers have made great progress and we’re really excited to officially open the station later this year."

While the railway was closed, work also took place in Batley where a new footbridge, which will replace Lady Anne level crossing, was opened to the public. The new footbridge will improve safety as it stops the need for anybody to have direct contact with the railway. The footbridge, which is just under 40 metres in length was installed in May and has been carefully designed to blend into the surrounding environment.

I'm left confused. Is Morley station now usable by passengers or not? If it is, is that using the old platforms or the new? If it isn't, when will it be?

The new Morley is indeed open to passengers, just not 100% complete (lifts etc) and not ‘officially opened’ with dignitaries and ribbon cutting etc.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Here are some pictures I took earlier today at Morley station. I’ll try and have a video uploaded to YouTube later this evening of the new station.

69BFBB59-33B3-4B85-8A87-1AF82B7A3847.jpeg9B608DEA-20AE-44DC-A4E5-413BE37F4F43.jpeg91A79643-9865-42F7-B9F3-2FF5BA4B3AC5.jpegFC009E1A-999A-418D-8470-54524C95F21E.jpegB43F35BC-F417-4CD9-B62D-1111AFEE5C19.jpeg644ED07F-0B83-46EC-B446-29B5CC09BAD7.jpeg0D333974-49C7-4804-8744-7074FECD4C82.jpeg

What I’d also add is that the linespeed through both platforms is 70 for passenger trains and 60 for freight, although temporary speed restrictions are in place enforcing the old linespeeds (55 for platform 1, Leeds-bound and 45 for platform 2, Manchester-bound).

Last edited: