• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Class 170101

Established Member
I wonder if this will allow for the "Great Extension Lead" to be recovered west of Stalybridge?

I thought it was back up for Ordsall?

Presumably whilst it works there would be no reason to abolish the 'Extension Lead' because it can provide power which the lines around it are isolated during engineering works and such like, would seem rather useful to me as an extra feed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
I'm fairly sure @td97 (and perhaps others) posted that there's going to be a "Stalybridge TSC" at the eastern throat of the station, just before the tunnel.
There's also a "Guide Bridge TSC" being established (possibly to replace an existing one?) on the south side of the Woodhead route, east of the jct towards Stalybridge.
TSCs at Stalybridge and Guide Bridge.
New MPTSC at Miles Platting, and MPTSC at Ardwick to be extended.

stibz

Was on a TPE service from Manchester Victoria to Newcastle Thursday last week and evening coming back.

There were noticeable bits where the works were going forward. The Man Vic to Staylebridge electrification seems to be 60% up which is nice to see. For the Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe section of course it seems nothing is going on, I think I saw a few compounds being set up though. The 2 new stations look cool and I saw 1 compound and nothing else on the Leeds to church fenton section.

Other than that no real difference yet.
Hi, At Ravensthorpe station, they have started clearing trees inbetween both main lines, beside the towards Dewsbury line, where they will be eventually build the new line and flyover & new viaduct over the river calder, they had been drilling a few test holes a few weeks ago beside the river. All sort of preliminary things.

L+Y

I might have missed a post further upthread, but when are serious works expected to begin between Dewsbury and Huddersfield?

TheHSRailFan

Hi, At Ravensthorpe station, they have started clearing trees inbetween both main lines, beside the towards Dewsbury line, where they will be eventually build the new line and flyover & new viaduct over the river calder, they had been drilling a few test holes a few weeks ago beside the river. All sort of preliminary things.
right, thanks!

Can I ask, is there a link showing the plans for there?

Tim_UK

I might have missed a post further upthread, but when are serious works expected to begin between Dewsbury and Huddersfield?
I’m not really sure but a lot of prep is happening.

Fenced off work areas by the viaduct in Huddersfield. A big compound at Hillhouse.

I don’t know how the work will be phased. I suspect we are in the shopping for all the bits phase.

You’ve got 3 stations (Deighton,
Mirfield and Ravensthorpe) the new big curve of track near Bradley, the flyover at Ravensthorpe. Plus power works. Plus lots of viaduct work.

And the the bridges for Leeds Road, colne bridge road and over the canal (near Colne bridge). Not sure what is happening at Field house lane. And some new spans will be needed at Red Doles.

Kirklees always seem to drag their feet for any kind of road closure.

Plus Huddersfield station.

59CosG95

Established Member
I’m not really sure but a lot of prep is happening.

Fenced off work areas by the viaduct in Huddersfield. A big compound at Hillhouse.

I don’t know how the work will be phased. I suspect we are in the shopping for all the bits phase.

You’ve got 3 stations (Deighton,
Mirfield and Ravensthorpe) the new big curve of track near Bradley, the flyover at Ravensthorpe. Plus power works. Plus lots of viaduct work.

And the the bridges for Leeds Road, colne bridge road and over the canal (near Colne bridge). Not sure what is happening at Field house lane. And some new spans will be needed at Red Doles.

Kirklees always seem to drag their feet for any kind of road closure.

Plus Huddersfield station.
Fieldhouse Lane (MVL3-98) has already had much of its work done: https://thetrupgrade.co.uk/fieldhouselane/
I think the only part that *might* be outstanding is the ramp on the Up Side.

Red Doles Road (MVL3/-96) U/B is very much in progress, with the concrete cill units for the proposed Fast Lines under construction.

modernrail

Fieldhouse Lane (MVL3-98) has already had much of its work done: https://thetrupgrade.co.uk/fieldhouselane/
I think the only part that *might* be outstanding is the ramp on the Up Side.

Red Doles Road (MVL3/-96) U/B is very much in progress, with the concrete cill units for the proposed Fast Lines under construction.
A fair bit of action on that bridge to prevent stones being thrown! We used to get incoming stones and other missiles into our school from the Deighton area as well!

jonesy3001

Established Member
Just been watching a video of a class 37 going through stalybridge in the manchester railways group and it looks like an earth wire has been put up near platform 4, it wasn't there on Tuesday when I was over.

Attachments

• 20230717_121731.jpg
    20230717_121731.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 107

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The DfT 2022/23 annual accounts have this commentary on TPE

To date, £3.0 billion has been committed to TRU, with £1.1bn spent so far. Infrastructure delivery has continued to be delivered on time with several successful blockades having been recently completed, including a 26-day blockade in April 2023 as part of works to deliver electric services between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge by the middle of the decade. Works continue on the route near York and Manchester with planning and design for the rest of the upgrade advancing rapidly, with much of the programme moving into Design and Delivery as part of the next stage of funding approvals anticipated in summer 2023.
Thats 2025 in my book which seems ridiculous given progress but maybe DfT speak to avoid a Crossrail debacle.

snowball

Established Member
Thats 2025 in my book which seems ridiculous given progress but maybe DfT speak to avoid a Crossrail debacle.
"The middle of the decade" is what previous official statements have said too. You're not the first to comment on the apparent ridiculousness.

Geeves

Established Member
I mean it sounds a long way off but when you consider the glacial pace of getting the electric trains up here to run the Stalybridge section it doesn't seem like there's going to be trains sat with no wires, rather wires with no trains. Two years will soon pass.

The exile

Established Member
"The middle of the decade" is what previous official statements have said too. You're not the first to comment on the apparent ridiculousness.
Equally - if you divide the decade into beginning, middle and end, the middle started at the beginning of May this year (after 3 years and 4 months) and will run until the end of August 2026.

takno

Established Member
Equally - if you divide the decade into beginning, middle and end, the middle started at the beginning of May this year (after 3 years and 4 months) and will run until the end of August 2026.
Many people would argue that if the middle of the decade is a period of time then "by" should mean "before the start of". I don't agree with them, but the definition of by is something that the world seems split down the middle on.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I mean it sounds a long way off but when you consider the glacial pace of getting the electric trains up here to run the Stalybridge section it doesn't seem like there's going to be trains sat with no wires, rather wires with no trains. Two years will soon pass.
From another thread:
Not much of an increase but Northern are proposing an hourly Stalybridge to Lime St (peak times only) from December. All stops except Eccles and Patricroft. Additional Eccles and Patricroft stops are proposed on the Wigan NW to Victoria shuttles. Would make both Victoria to Stalybridge and Newton to Whiston half hourly in the peaks.

Are they expecting the wires between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge to be live by then?

Yes, Northern proposing 4 car class 331s on the service
This seems rather optimistic!

zwk500

Veteran Member
'By the middle' indicates the meaning of middle as a single point rather than a period, and thus by 30 June 2025 (the Median point of the decade). In the same way that 'by the end of the year' is almost universally understood to mean the relevant 31st December.

snowball

Established Member
'By the middle' indicates the meaning of middle as a single point rather than a period, and thus by 30 June 2025 (the Median point of the decade). In the same way that 'by the end of the year' is almost universally understood to mean the relevant 31st December.
If the decade is ten complete calendar years, then its mid-point must be at the turn of a year, not the middle of a year.

If the ten years in question are 2020-29, then the mid-point is end 24/ start 25.

Greybeard33

Established Member
If the decade is ten complete calendar years, then its mid-point must be at the turn of a year, not the middle of a year.

If the ten years in question are 2020-29, then the mid-point is end 24/ start 25.
There are two rival definitions of "this decade", either 2020-2029 or 2021-2030. Proponents of the second, less popular, one point out that our calendar has no Year 0. Therefore the first decade of the First Century of the Current Era must have been the years 1CE - 10CE and consequently all subsequent decades have started with a year ending in 1 not 0. This makes the middle of the decade 1st January 2026!

snowball

Established Member
There are two rival definitions of "this decade", either 2020-2029 or 2021-2030. Proponents of the second, less popular, one point out that our calendar has no Year 0. Therefore the first decade of the First Century of the Current Era must have been the years 1CE - 10CE and consequently all subsequent decades have started with a year ending in 1 not 0. This makes the middle of the decade 1st January 2026!
I was expecting that somebody would say that. I almost said it myself.

However as nobody says "the 213th decade" in the way they say "the 21st century" I decided not to.

43095john

Has been posted in a local Garforth FB page but the old Bridge at Garforth station was lifted out last night, seems its being lifted in 3 pieces with the main centre of the bridge now lifted out

snowball

Established Member
It's over a month since I last posted a link to any of freel07's pictures on Skyscrapercity. (Of course, any of the previous links will take you to the thread any time, and you can move backwards or forwards.)