• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonesy3001

Established Member
Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) is reminding passengers travelling along the rail line between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York to plan their journeys ahead of time, as track upgrades in Huddersfield are due to take place each weekend throughout September and October.

Over the two months, hundreds of engineers working on the multi-billion-pound scheme will replace approximately 650m of railway tracks. This work will enable trains to travel at higher speeds and improve the overall reliability of services passing through the area in the future, as the number of railway tracks will increase from two to four.

While the railway line through Huddersfield will be temporarily closed to facilitate the upgrades, passengers will be kept on the move through a combination of diversionary routes and rail replacement buses.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Freel07 has added more pictures on skyscrapercity.
Platforms 4 and 5 at stalybridge are now wired coming from the ashton line.
Wonder how long it will be til they start testing the overheads unless they're waiting til all of stalybridge is done.

td97

Established Member
2 months to replace 650m of track is very low-ambition. That length should be possible over a single 54hr weekend possession.

Halish Railway

Established Member
2 months to replace 650m of track is very low-ambition. That length should be possible over a single 54hr weekend possession.
I very much get the impression that track replacements are just of many things that will happen in this blockade, with bridge construction to enable four tracks being much more noteworthy.

Where exactly will this 650m of track be? It seems a bit early to start remodelling Huddersfield station and installing the third and fourth tracks on the way to Ravensthorpe.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Has to be a lot more happening than just this.
The linked press release mentions bridge upgrades in the Huddersfield area. Not sure which bridges are involved though. Possibly the next stage of works at Red Doles Lane?

With Sheffield services starting from Lockwood, I suspect there will be some sort of work going on in Huddersfield tunnel (Up side) and/or at Springwood junction. Previous blockades to the main route have usually not blocked the line and platform for the Penistone line. Probably just work on the Manchester line requiring a block of the adjacent Up/Down Sheffield (if that's the right name) line for the safety of workers.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I must admit, I'm all for full and proper electrification etc, however I'm a bit uneasy about the proposed changes to Huddersfield station. I'd rather they left the island platform as it is and built a couple of terminal platforms where the yard is.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I must admit, I'm all for full and proper electrification etc, however I'm a bit uneasy about the proposed changes to Huddersfield station. I'd rather they left the island platform as it is and built a couple of terminal platforms where the yard is.
I'm hoping the abolition of bay platforms 5 & 6 is an indication that we'll be getting longer trains. Even as it stands P5 is useless as long as the Castleford/Wakefield service is suspended.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm hoping the abolition of bay platforms 5 & 6 is an indication that we'll be getting longer trains. Even as it stands P5 is useless as long as the Castleford/Wakefield service is suspended.

Indeed. They're in the wrong place and need to go.

It should be a comparatively simple process to relocate these to the yard and extend the island.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Indeed. They're in the wrong place and need to go.

It should be a comparatively simple process to relocate these to the yard and extend the island.
That's largely what's happening isn't it? One new through platform on the current sidings, and a longer bay replacing the two (one of which is pretty much useless) on the current island.
The faffing about with the (listed) building on the island seems a bit overkill, but presumably there's a reason for it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's largely what's happening isn't it? One new through platform on the current sidings, and a longer bay replacing the two (one of which is pretty much useless) on the current island.
The faffing about with the (listed) building on the island seems a bit overkill, but presumably there's a reason for it.

Indeed. I'd rather without the faffing, but there we are.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Platform 5 can take a 150, and the Huddersfield - Bradford services are all 150s now, its just that Network Rail choose to put them on platform 4A rather than use platform 5.

CAF397

I very much get the impression that track replacements are just of many things that will happen in this blockade, with bridge construction to enable four tracks being much more noteworthy.

Where exactly will this 650m of track be? It seems a bit early to start remodelling Huddersfield station and installing the third and fourth tracks on the way to Ravensthorpe.

There's new CWR been laid in between the running rails and the cess between Deighton and Hillhouse.

Also, there's one rail over Road Bridge that's had it's disused formation dug out next to the Down Huddersfield, and another rail over Road Bridge that's had brand new supporting walls ready for a bridge deck built next to the Up Huddersfield line (unsure if one or two track width)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Platform 5 can take a 150, and the Huddersfield - Bradford services are all 150s now, its just that Network Rail choose to put them on platform 4A rather than use platform 5.
Cheers- hadn't realised the Bradfords were 150s now. They were 158s until fairly recently. With the Castlefords not running, there's no need for Platform 5 anyway as both 4a and 6 suffice for the two hourly services (Leeds and Bradford).

YorksLad12

Established Member
Interestingly (or not), the former P3 and P7 were very short as well. And P1 used to be much narrower. You can tell it's Yorkshire, don't build more station than you need :lol:

Isn't it because they want to put a footbridge there? To keep the building it has to be lifted up and shuffled along.

MML

When will the Leeds to York electrification be completed? It seems to be taking ages. I presume Northern would then replace the DMU with an EMU on the local service.

GardenRail

Its not useless. The 2Wxx Bradford often use it, especially with disruption.

td97

Established Member
The linked press release mentions bridge upgrades in the Huddersfield area. Not sure which bridges are involved though.
Has to be a lot more happening than just this.
There are 6 bridges in W3 area programmed for work in the September/October period
  • MVN2/201 (Hunger Hill)
  • MVL3/105 (Bradley's 2 at Bradley Jn),
  • MVN2/188 (Sands Lane)
  • MVL3/90 (Westgate)
  • MVL3/99 (Ridings, west of Deighton)
  • MVN2/193 strengthening & waterproofing of Station Road U/B (Mirfield).
Also track, drainage, civils and telecoms work for the Hillhouse (Huddersfield) sidings and temporary platforms.
Construction of a PSP building at Huddersfield.
Staging works at Huddersfield station including new UTX.

snowball

Established Member
Last night, after following a series of links I can't remember, I came to a recent post on LinkedIn stating that all track work between Church Fenton and Colton has now been completed. So presumably there are just the Christmas OLE tie-ins to do.

matacaster

On Moderation
Just been past ravensthorpe on a massively overcrowded loco hauled train due to prior cancellations. There is new? excavation work between ravensthorpe platform and the branch off to Wakefield kirkgate. Is this related to the dive under or flyover?

snowball

Established Member
Just been past ravensthorpe on a massively overcrowded loco hauled train due to prior cancellations. There is new? excavation work between ravensthorpe platform and the branch off to Wakefield kirkgate. Is this related to the dive under or flyover?
Probably, yes. Presumably this is a continuation of the works mentioned in #6964?

The dive under was an alternative option and gave way to the flyover a few years ago.

The actual flyover structure will be in the angle between the present Leeds and Wakefield lines.

jonesy3001

Established Member

td97

Established Member

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
There are 6 bridges in W3 area programmed for work in the September/October period
  • MVN2/201 (Hunger Hill)
  • MVL3/105 (Bradley's 2 at Bradley Jn),
  • MVN2/188 (Sands Lane)
  • MVL3/90 (Westgate)
  • MVL3/99 (Ridings, west of Deighton)
  • MVN2/193 strengthening & waterproofing of Station Road U/B (Mirfield).
Also track, drainage, civils and telecoms work for the Hillhouse (Huddersfield) sidings and temporary platforms.
Construction of a PSP building at Huddersfield.
Staging works at Huddersfield station including new UTX.
Very useful summary info thanks.

AndyHudds

Yeah, I hadn't realised the Bradfords had switched to 150s at the last timetable change. Prior to that, nothing used it as the Bradford was a 158.
Until recently it was 158's, I use the service from Brighouse and Halifax quite regularly, certainly in around May time, on Saturdays anyway, it was a 158 but since then it has, sadly, been the bone shaker 150's.

matacaster

On Moderation
Until recently it was 158's, I use the service from Brighouse and Halifax quite regularly, certainly in around May time, on Saturdays anyway, it was a 158 but since then it has, sadly, been the bone shaker 150's.
It's time the class 150 was retired.