• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Only hauled (non-passenger service) into Victoria (and through to Miles Platting Jn). They are cleared for passenger service from Deal St Jn to Windsor Bridge South Jn (i.e. through Salford Central) which I don't think has ever been utilised.
Obviously cleared from Windsor Bridge South through Ordsall Lane, Water St and Castlefield.
Probably not cleared Ardwick-Guide Bridge-Stalybridge either, and that will need doing as well.
I think there are now other trains with OHLE monitoring capability, possibly 802 (or other 80x)? 802s are cleared on both routes.

td97

Established Member
I think there are now other trains with OHLE monitoring capability, possibly 802 (or other 80x)? 802s are cleared on both routes
Both 802s and 331s have pantograph monitoring, although it may be cheaper and more flexible to use the in-house testing consist.
Whether the 802 or 331 pantograph monitoring is sufficient for entry into service commissioning is another question.

jonesy3001

Established Member
When the bolton line opened after the electrification works they used a pendolino and 319372 for overhead testing but since the pendos are not cleared for the stalybridge lines it'll probably be a 319,323,331 or a 769.

snowball

Established Member
Correct. When fully wired it has been suggested they keep the cable in to remain as an independent grid feeder.
Lets hope common sense prevails or that will be another example of millions wasted
As I understand it (going from memory of posts by Joseph Locke years ago) there was never any official suggestion of removing it, only people on here talking of removing it. If it were removed, any work in the Stalybridge area, requiring both routes to be switched off, would cut off a major source of power to routes like Manchester-Preston.

Last edited:

petersi

don-coffey had done a cab ride of TRU progress see below
to quote don
"

Just a quick heads up for anyone interested. Providing this enormous file uploads (It’s the first full length 4K video I’ve attempted to upload), it should go live on Saturday at 20:00. Whether you are interested or just fancy a ride out on a nice day, it should appeal.

This video covers three trips in nice weather - Piccadilly to Leeds non-stop, York to Huddersfield via the stopping service through Mirfield Loop and finally Victoria to Stalybridge. I can’t tell you everything because some things haven’t completed public consultation but just about everything published and what has been done so far is there. Class 185s are the traction in all cases because that’s all I sign these days but they provide an interesting soundtrack"

CAF397

Spotted Friday, dozens and dozens of timbers laid in the old track bed between platforms 1 and 4 at Huddersfield.

At first glance they looked like longitudinal sleepers, but on further inspection they look like a temporary Road bed for plant vehicles to access at the Leeds end of platform 1 and work between platforms 1 and 4. Maybe roof work?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Seems funny there's northern trains running to stalybridge when the line should be shut for electrification work.

If that has been amended its been done at least a week ago as the schedules are all WTT, I can't find any suggestion anywhere that Stalybridge was supposed to be closed today.

superkev

Established Member
Watched the excellent new YouTube Don Caffey TP cab ride via guide bridge last night.

I see almost all of the masts and catenary supports look to be in place as far as Stalybridge just awaiting the wires.
Sad that on the basis it will have be done sometime the opportunity wasn't taken to keep the piling team on to keep heading east

Im old enough to remenber when the EC suburban electrification was completed to Hitchin the piling teams kept heading North even though the ECML proper wasnt authorised for quite some time.
The stop start way of doing things these days must really push up costs.
Kev

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sad that on the basis it will have be done sometime the opportunity wasn't taken to keep the piling team on to keep heading east
It's always been the plan that the section East of Stalybridge would be among the last to be done, due to problem tunnels and those houses at Mossley. There'd be little point in putting masts up if they have to be moved later because the track has been lowered or realigned.

jonesy3001

Established Member
It's always been the plan that the section East of Stalybridge would be among the last to be done, due to problem tunnels and those houses at Mossley. There'd be little point in putting masts up if they have to be moved later because the track has been lowered or realigned.
Is there more or less tunnels on the stalybridge line compared to the calder valley line.
Not been down that line for a while, always get the northern trains to manchester now since TPE have an habit in cancelling trains.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is there more or less tunnels on the stalybridge line compared to the calder valley line.
Not been down that line for a while, always get the northern trains to manchester now since TPE have an habit in cancelling trains.
It's not really about the number (or even the length) of tunnels, but the clearances (or lack of) in some of the tunnels. IIRC from previous discussions on this thread, the problem tunnels are Stalybridge tunnel (just to the east/north of the station) and Scout tunnel near Mossley.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
From Manchester to Leeds the Huddersfield/Dewsbury route has 6.03 miles of tunnel in 7 separate bores.
Standedge is 3.04 miles, Morley is 1.91 miles.
The longer Calder Valley route via Todmorden and Wakefield has 2.54 tunnel miles in 8 separate bores (none east of Ravensthorpe).
Summit is 1.64 miles, and with the adjacent short E and W tunnels is 1.69 miles.

George Stephenson knew what he was doing with the M&L/L&Y Calder Valley route, at the expense of a longer route (to meet the North Midland at Normanton for the final run into Leeds).
The LNWR paid a premium to build a much shorter, if hillier route with longer tunnels.
The closed Spen Valley route bypassed the Morley tunnel but had the Gomersal tunnel instead which was 1.4 miles shorter at 0.51 miles.

snowball

Established Member
It's possible (I don't know) that the Stalybridge electrification team will start work on Lostock-Wigan next.
There was some discussion of this on page 13 (the current page) of the Lostock-Wigan thread. Piling started on that route simultaneously with its completion around Stalybridge. I've no idea how far we are from a start on masts.

adamedwards

Keeping the Piling team going, looking at the Don Cofey videos, Leeds to Dewsbury ought to be straight forward as much less effected by works futher west and the major job of moving Morley station has been done. An electric shuttle from Leeds to Dewsbury using the Batley East crossover would then be theoretically possible, if unlikely in practice.
Failing that there's always east to Hull...

Halish Railway

Established Member
Keeping the Piling team going, looking at the Don Cofey videos, Leeds to Dewsbury ought to be straight forward as much less effected by works futher west and the major job of moving Morley station has been done. An electric shuttle from Leeds to Dewsbury using the Batley East crossover would then be theoretically possible, if unlikely in practice.
Failing that there's always east to Hull...
It seems like design work for electrification from the Church Fenton North Ladder to Leeds is much further along, with plans for bridge replacement or removal and level crossing removal being out in the public domain, whereas such works aren't visible for Leeds to Dewsbury. East of Leeds has to grapple with remodelling the area around Neville Hill and reconstructing the viaducts between Richmond Hill Tunnel and Leeds station, whereas West of Leeds has to grapple with modifying Morley Tunnel to accommodate the wires, both of which seem as challenging as each other.

I'd say that the next section of electrification should focus on completing a long enough section to allow an electric stopping service to run, ideally that being York to Leeds rather than Leeds to Dewsbury which is only of use when the line West of Dewsbury is closed.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Once again this thread used be used for Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates, CP6

For discussion about possible four tracking please use this thread:

Spartacus

Established Member
The closed Spen Valley route bypassed the Morley tunnel but had the Gomersal tunnel instead which was 1.4 miles shorter at 0.51 miles.

Leeds New Line, Spen Valley was the L&Y line to Bradford, but the Leeds New Line also had the formidable Gildersome tunnel too, which made it's tunnelled length practically the same at the Morley route, plus had quite a bit of walled cutting with overbridges, and was hiller than the existing routes.

CAF397

One massive long portal, over both Huddersfield lines and the full width of the Sidings on the Up Side at Guide Bridge. That one is strange, I very much doubt the Sidings will be wired.
Answering my own query.

This portal now looks like it carries a 25kv feeder from Guide Bridge, along the upside of the Sidings, over the Sidings and Huddersfield lines, and onto the Down Huddersfield side.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Answering my own query.

This portal now looks like it carries a 25kv feeder from Guide Bridge, along the upside of the Sidings, over the Sidings and Huddersfield lines, and onto the Down Huddersfield side.
When will they finish putting up the wires on the guide bridge line?

Elecman

Established Member
When will they finish putting up the wires on the guide bridge line?
Once all the steelwork and small parts are up the actual running out of the catenary and contact wires and registration of the contact wire would be a quick exercise over the relatively short distance here,

zwk500

Veteran Member
Once all the steelwork and small parts are up the actual running out of the catenary and contact wires and registration of the contact wire would be a quick exercise over the relatively short distance here,
Do you know if there are any plans to wire any of the roads in the Yard, or the curve and Loop onto the Glossop Line?