• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

jonesy3001

Established Member
Once all the steelwork and small parts are up the actual running out of the catenary and contact wires and registration of the contact wire would be a quick exercise over the relatively short distance here,
When will they be doing the works and will they be ready for the switch on in december?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Batley Lad

Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing.

Almost finished the work in and around the new footbridge. I believe the footpaths are due another layer of tarmac and the bankings are to be seeded further.
A few pictures of the former Adwalton abutment wall below. The level of skill and amount of work put in to disguise the process of drilling the holes for soil nailing, is quite remarkable. Spot the holes if you can?

IMG_4810.jpegIMG_4809.jpegIMG_4808.jpeg

And a couple of before pictures

IMG_3876.jpegIMG_4758.jpeg

Lady Anne signal box and the crossings gates are still in situ.

A few pictures of the landscape around the footbridge as it starts to green up and bed in.

IMG_4827.jpegIMG_4824.jpegIMG_4830.jpegIMG_4832.jpeg

Not much else happening around here now. As stated above, Lady Anne signal is still in situ and no visible work at Batley station to report on either.

I suppose the next works will be the removal of the signal box, crossing gates and removal of another footbridge located between Lady Anne and Morley tunnel.

WAO

Very good re-use of stonework.
Hope NR gets a Civic Trust award for this.
WAO

billh

Do you know if there are any plans to wire any of the roads in the Yard, or the curve and Loop onto the Glossop Line?
The curve round to GB East does not come directly from the Stalybridge line now (Formerly GB North Junction), some shuffling about in the sidings there is now necessary . I think it very unlikely it would get re-wired. As to the loop up to Hyde North, , I suppose it could be useful to reverse electric trains there as is done with some ECS DMUs at present. I can't see any reason for electric locos (or EMUs) to go into the Freightliner's yard

Revaulx

Leeds New Line, Spen Valley was the L&Y line to Bradford, but the Leeds New Line also had the formidable Gildersome tunnel too, which made it's tunnelled length practically the same at the Morley route, plus had quite a bit of walled cutting with overbridges, and was hiller than the existing routes.
Some sharp curves as well.

It was built late on, after the areas it went through had already been heavily built up, so had to thread itself through as best it could.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I'd say that the next section of electrification should focus on completing a long enough section to allow an electric stopping service to run, ideally that being York to Leeds rather than Leeds to Dewsbury which is only of use when the line West of Dewsbury is closed.
For sure could deliver benefits a lot quicker

BantamMenace

For sure could deliver benefits a lot quicker
Leeds to York electrification would only immediately deliver 1tph switch from 2/3 car DMU to 3 car EMU I think and a once daily LNER service.
The east facing bay platforms at Leeds can’t take 4 cars I don’t think.

Britannia94

Leeds to York electrification would only immediately deliver 1tph switch from 2/3 car DMU to 3 car EMU I think and a once daily LNER service.

I believe platform 7 has been extended to take a 4 car, but platform 14 the max is a 3 car. I could be wrong though

Grumpy

Plus presumably the hourly TPE Newcastle trains switching from diesel.
I believe platform 7 is approx 100m

Spartacus

Established Member
Meanwhile Network Rail have submitted plans for a compound near Ravensthorpe station.

Description / DevelopmentChange of use of site from former industrial (class B1 a & c)/bus depot (sui generis) to construction compound for storage of equipment associated with the Trans-Pennine upgrade with specific reference to the Ravensthorpe area"

Last edited:

matacaster

On Moderation
How about Bradford Forster square to York US Ng through platforms at Leeds?

Mollman

Established Member
How about Bradford Forster square to York US Ng through platforms at Leeds?
Back in the days oft he East Leeds Parkway proposals there was going to be through services of the Triangle to ELP in addition to the Selby / York stoppers. Not sure if there is any provision within the East of Leeds TRU and Thorpe Park Station plans to accommodate additional cross-Leeds services.

John S2

Back in the days oft he East Leeds Parkway proposals there was going to be through services of the Triangle to ELP in addition to the Selby / York stoppers. Not sure if there is any provision within the East of Leeds TRU and Thorpe Park Station plans to accommodate additional cross-Leeds services.
Surely this can be done without providing a significant number of additional services? Simply run the existing Bradford FS - Leeds electric trains through to York in slots currently occupied by diesel services. These diesel services [presumably from the other Bradford station] would then terminate at Leeds.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Surely this can be done without providing a significant number of additional services? Simply run the existing Bradford FS - Leeds electric trains through to York in slots currently occupied by diesel services. These diesel services [presumably from the other Bradford station] would then terminate at Leeds.
Existing paths are likely to be completely disregarded in favour of a brand new timetable. This is due to the desire to run TPE services on a clockface timetable, as well as Neville Hill East Jn to the new Thorpe Park station supposedly being four-tracked to allow stopping services to be overtaken, which may help through-running stopping of services easier.

I think running a Bradford Forster Square to York electric stopper would be ideal, although I’d keep the Blackpool North to York via Interchange express services with the stops at Garforth and Church Fenton removed given how many people stay on the train at Leeds.

D6975

Established Member
I believe platform 7 has been extended to take a 4 car, but platform 14 the max is a 3 car. I could be wrong though
Doesn't need to take 4 cars. The 331/1s are off west of the Pennines in December. 12 331/0s (3 car) are going to Yorkshire. (1 for 1 replacement)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think 14 can take a 4-car, as several years ago it was quite common for a 321 to be stabled in there. Whether it could take a 333 (or a 331/1) with their longer vehicles, I'm not sure.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I think 14 can take a 4-car, as several years ago it was quite common for a 321 to be stabled in there. Whether it could take a 333 (or a 331/1) with their longer vehicles, I'm not sure.
The Sectional Appendix says that P14 is 80m long. Parking a 321 there doesn't seem right as it might as well return to Neville Hill - all of its possible routes are in the other direction, and it would have to take up a couple of paths over the viaduct to turn round.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Sectional Appendix says that P14 is 80m long. Parking a 321 there doesn't seem right as it might as well return to Neville Hill - all of its possible routes are in the other direction, and it would have to take up a couple of paths over the viaduct to turn round.
Was it shortened as part of the 2000 rebuild? I realise my memory of one often being stabled there was older than I initially thought, and may have been a millennium ago! Back then, paths weren't quite at the premium they are now, so it was quite common to see them stabled there in case one went pop on the Doncaster runs.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Was it shortened as part of the 2000 rebuild? I realise my memory of one often being stabled there was older than I initially thought, and may have been a millennium ago! Back then, paths weren't quite at the premium they are now, so it was quite common to see them stabled there in case one went pop on the Doncaster runs.
When you said "several years ago" I was thinking this millennium, not pre-Leeds 1st :lol: That makes more sense then, as P7 and P14 (P4 and P11 as-were) would have been less well used and so could act as sidings (the other bit of track alongside now-P7 might have still been there).

Which brings me to a question I thought of this morning. The upgrade should allow more services to run, and a revised Huddersfield will be able to handle them. But will Leeds? Pre-pandemic, WYCA quoted Leeds as being at 101% of platform capacity. The growth in services per hour since Leeds 1st has been huge, with the London service doubling (and planned to nearly treble, until recently), and five (planned) TPE through services per hour, up from three plus one starter. The Leeds-Sheffield fasts, Leeds-Westgate-Knottingley. And those are the obvious ones.

Without going into speculative territory, if the work has been done to sow that Leeds can cope with the extra traffic, is that analysis out there?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Without going into speculative territory, if the work has been done to sow that Leeds can cope with the extra traffic, is that analysis out there?

Not in the public domain.

But remember there has been much work at Leeds since 2000. New platforms, layout changes etc, and more in the pipeline.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is an infrastructure updates thread to discuss what is actually happening regarding the Transpennine Route Upgrade.

To discuss anything else, such as what you think should or might happen, please create a new thread, or use an existing one if there is one, for example potential timetable/service pattern changes.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Which brings me to a question I thought of this morning. The upgrade should allow more services to run, and a revised Huddersfield will be able to handle them. But will Leeds? Pre-pandemic, WYCA quoted Leeds as being at 101% of platform capacity. The growth in services per hour since Leeds 1st has been huge, with the London service doubling (and planned to nearly treble, until recently), and five (planned) TPE through services per hour, up from three plus one starter. The Leeds-Sheffield fasts, Leeds-Westgate-Knottingley. And those are the obvious ones.
We're told that Leeds is at capacity, though my perception whenever I'm there is that the through platforms (particularly the 9-11 island) are partially or wholly unoccupied for long periods- so it could be that the platforms aren't the limiting factor, but the approaches. Or indeed that my perception is not entirely reliable- I am just an enthusiast after all!